2012 Game Competition: WINNERS!

I would rather have the theme left open, specifically because I’ve already started working on a game concept.

But decide quickly because I don’t want to have spent months on game design and then have a theme, I can’t use the game with, set.

I agree with Josip, about the theme and I think, regarding the deadline, that the game could not have been started before Sept 30, the start of this thread, so that people won’t have to wait 2 months to get started.

Also, could there somehow be a beginners category? I can’t think of a way you would know, but I obviously can’t compete with a lot of the more experienced members.

As far as my input goes I do think that it should be 2012 only, as I believe its been said it kinda levels the playing field.
As far as theme goes, I think that maybe having different themes or categories would be neat.

FunkyWyrm - I like that idea.

The way i’d do it is have game development take place in 2012 (or september 30th, 2011+) but if they use anything before that date, it has to be publicly available. You don’t have to share the link with everybody if it’s already somewhere where it’s possible to find it. But if it’s something you made and havent shared it, you must share it with everyone (posting a link in your thread, or making a new resource thread for it)

I think it’s better to have no themes. Themes are better for shorter contests I think, so let’s stay with that.

No Themes.

gir+piggy - sept. 30th is a possibility, but perhaps the start time should be when I announce it on blendernation, which will be when all rules are down solid. Regarding beginner’s category… it’s a possibility. There would definately be no prizes, as there’s no way of knowing if someone is a beginner or not (I define beginner by skill level, not by amount time using blender/other 3d packages)

Another possibility is categories, what do are you guys’ thoughts on this? For example - graphics, gameplay, logic brick only, beginners, etc…

I think categories would be good and worked well in the past. They would also allow developers to play to their strengths. eg. Third person template could be used but assets are created by the developer and the game could be entered in the graphics category. Other developers could be not too good at artwork so could use models made by others, but enter the game in the gameplay category. Of course, there’s nothing to stop a developer creating the whole game themself and entering in more than one category.

I also think that a “best in show” type of category could be good in which all entries are considered.

Incidentally, has any thought been given to voting? It would be good to avoid the creation of new accounts in order to vote that happened a couple of years ago. It would be a shame to limit voting to only entrants, or even only blenderartists users. Perhaps only accounts that have over 50 posts, or have been around since the start of the competition, or maybe only people signed up for the facebook group can vote? It’s a tricky issue since the internet makes anonymous voting easy. Even one vote per ip address is not reliable since a lot of people have dynamic ip addresses and other people have more than one user sharing an ip address.

Actually I think you should consider only allowing entrants to vote. If there is a reasonable amount of entrants, it works quite well. Also It makes vote tallying less of a hassle.

I like the idea of having only people who have accounts made before the voting begins/or competition begins able to vote.

“so people, lets create accounts from now on so when voting comes you have enough accounts tell all your friends!!!” i think it will be better if only entrants can vote, or maybe only accounts created before this date

also giving a theme, will be better, imagine i been working on a game from months ago but not made public, i will have advantage on that

I’d say get a panel of judges decided on by the community. No one on the panel should have a game in the competition. Also, I don’t know if you want to run a theme. Right now the only other BGE competitions running are using themes, so, it might be nice to have a little more freedom. Especially in something you could be putting months of work into.

I agree with Moguri concerning themes. I’d consider entering a week-long themed competition in order to try new concepts and perhaps just for a change, but if I’m gonna spend months on a single project then I need to be motivated throughout and this is best achieved through artistic freedom. If I wasn’t inspired by the theme I’d likely not enter and even if I did, If I came up with another concept with a different theme I’d probably just drop out of the competition.

Spending a year on a game is not an easy thing (I’ve not managed it yet ;)) and there needs to be hopes, dreams and inspiration in order to carry the developer through the inevitable rough spots. This is easier if the developer has a deep interest in the genre, style and theme of their game.

@Moguri I like the idea of a panel of judges. Anybody else?

Ok, there will be no themes guys :wink:

Anybody else like the judge panel idea? Any suggestions for judges?
Here’s a few options i thought of

• Myself (I don’t believe I will enter this time)
  • Moguri
  • Ideasman42
  • Endi
  • Martinsh

Hi, I would love to join with Gtown. I am about to release the first demo. But I am not sure if I don’t break any rules. I have started 2010, I think.

Wow, gone are the days when gaming was about fun…

Mokazon, lets drop it, ok.

I suggest a jury and preset judging categories.

Lets say categories like these:

• Game play
  • Usability
  • Replay value
  • Originality of the game play idea
  • Graphics
  • Sounds
  • OPTIONAL CATEGORY, IF BLEND IS AVAILABLE WITH INTRODUCTION : Innovative BGE usage (logic, python and /or shadders)

Judges can give a 0-5 points to each category. Summed total points will define the winner.

Interesting, I like the idea.

I like the idea Xjazz - but the question still remains, who should the judges be? Anybody else for Xjazz’s plan?

@strub please check back later or when you see the post on Blendernation, you will see a final list of rules there. However, at the moment it is only October 2011+

Thanks for the reply mokazon. It doesn’t matter if I could not join the competition. But 8 months for creating any game is really to short. Does that make sense that time limitation for the competition?

strub - 8 months for a competition is plenty of time. I can’t imagine running a competition for over a year.

I think I will not enter the competition, but, if you want, I can participate the jury :wink: