2012 Game Competition: WINNERS!

Hi

Lets assume, the judges are used for this competition.

So, the judges should play every and each game to the very end/variation until they can judge it? At their precious free-time and for free? Maybe not.

To save the judges free time, nerves and motivation, I would say:

1. Instead of the full/complete games, everybody must make a demo to sell their game idea to the judges.
  2. The judges can make a common agreed decision and filtering out 50%(?) of games just by a first impression.
  3. If the judges are motivated, they can make a round or two to sort out the winner. Think it as reality show.

Would you like to have me as a judge, too? :slight_smile: Perhaps I’m not the best, but I think I can offer some pretty realistic statistics for the various games that will be submitted ;). I have the resources to play them all, and I also have a bit of knowledge of most posible game genres (puzzle, strategy, rpg, shooters, simulators, arcade games, a combination of them etc…).

Perhaps the most important of all, I can make the difference between a good game and a poor one :yes: :slight_smile:

*A little reply to Xjazz - perhaps playing all of the games for all their duration is the best way to go, and mark on a notepad some first impression marks, and after we go through all the submissions, we revise them and decide which game is the best.

It would be interesting to get the judges together and let them vote on which game is the best :slight_smile: :wink: :yes: Think of it as a little brainstorming session :slight_smile:

Hi

A few things more.

Since there’s a interest to be an judge, I would prefer a short public CV from each applicant.

Just a short write about person, interest of gaming type(rpg, fps & etc) and possible references to the made games/projects.

The Mokazon, as a main drive force of this competition, can form the judge board.

@christiani_if
I prefer a demo entry, instead of the full game.

The competition is chaping up and is heading into the right direction, too.
I believe the majority of the games won’t last longer than 30minutes, maybe in some cases (e.g.: puzzle games) a bit longer, but if they are well balanced and not broken you could chew yourselve through and maybe even have a little bit of fun on the way :P.
If the judge-board gets time for their reviews adjusted to the number of games submitted I don’t see a problem in playing the whole games, even if its means to wait a month for the results.
A small summary by contenters for the jury would be nice, like mentioned by Xjazz. I really hope that endi or some other members working in the gaming industrie will join the jury to give an different view on the games appard form over entusiastic bge-followers.

Parnoid Android

xjazz - that is a good idea. Sort of like a qualification I guess. To eliminate a little disappointment, we could have the ‘qualification’ a few months before the deadline. You just have to provide the judges with a video and/or demo, and they decide which get to continue on to the finals. How’s that sound?

Regarding judges - I would prefer (and i’m sure you guys do too) that the more well known folks are in the judge panel. I will make a list of possible judges and if you guys are ok with them, I will contact them and see if they’re interested. I’m also open for judge suggestions. I’m thinking 3-5 people on judge panel?

Is everybody else ok with christiani_if being on the panel?

Here’s a list of judges (Please tell me what you think):

• Ideasman42
  • Moguri
  • Martinsh
  • Jplur
  • endi
  • Haidme
  • Mokazon (I will probably not be entering)
  • excalaberr
  • Josip Kladeric

@Xjazz - I would not like to think of it as a demo - perhaps people should focus on providing the best gameplay “rather than”/over game length. A maximum of 1 hour should be decent enough to showcase anything and everything the contestants would have to offer.

P.S. why are you saying “The Mokazon” ? :slight_smile:

@mokazon - shouldn’t a greater number of judges(without trading quantity for/over quality) offer more accurate results?:eyebrowlift2:

Mokazon,

You CANT be a member of the judge board.

You must hand-over the whole judgement responsible to the board, once YOU select the board members.

christiani_if: I think it’s best to have the best in the BGE, but there aren’t too many like that. Maybe 10 judges? I will add some more options to the list.

Xjazz: ermm… why not?

I think its all ok with the project, but if you want a judge, i’m still here. I’m a fan of video games, and I like to write reviews about them, looking all aspects of the game. I understand about the various types of games, and I think I could be a judge, but, like I said, only if you need, because I think that let mokazon choose those that he think may be the best to be in the jury, it’s ok too. Just one thing that I don’t agree with mokazon: pick the best in the BGE. I think that to be a judge, you don’t have to be skilled in BGE, this is for the competitors. The judges must be good in criticizing GAMES, not in creating them. And I think that is good ideia the jury just see a video of the game first, to choose which get to continue on to the finals.

andre1204 - to fully understand what goes into making the actual game, it’s best to go with a more advanced user, plus people have more trust in people who are like that. Would you want to spend a year working on a game only to have voting done by some noob that nobody knows? Of course not :wink:

I want to participate in this and i wanna know one thing,
Will games be judged on how it was made ( eg. 123 game - python and only necessary logic bricks ) aswell as graphics and gameplay.

I would like make a game to have voting by people that understand about games, not about creating them :wink:
And sorry, i’m not a noob :wink:

cliven04 - well, if there are judging categories, then yes. There will be stuff like logic brick only, best graphics, best gameplay. This will be decided by the judges.

We need something to keep track of this discussion. So as far as I can tell these are the issues.

Theme? ---------------------- Decided, None

Judges? ---------------------- Decided, a panel of judges

Who should be judges? -------- Undecided, well known BA members vs. anybody

Categories? ------------------- Undecided, but general consensus for categorical judging

Length of judged game -------- Undecided, A demo version (with perhaps a 2nd full game round) vs. full game on first round

Different skill levels ------------ Undecided, but the topic seems to have been dropped

I hope I have represented the issues correctly.

I support a panel of known BA members, I don’t care about the skill. Categorical judging, but with an “overall game play” category. I would prefer that the game be judged game be the full game, but with a maximum time limit if the full game is too long, or two rounds of judging. I support a lesser skill level, but with little to no prize. As mokazon pointed out anybody could enter as beginner to get easy money.

Infininte - thank you, I will copy this into the main post

I will message all of the potential judges and form the judge panel. The rest of rules will be decided by them.

Confirmed:
excalaberr
ideasman42

ok so then when does it end sry for the noob questions lol

@MRN: It ends 31 December of 2012 (The end of 2012)
Don’t know which time, so I assume the Greenwich Meantime ?

To clear the rules a bit for new visitors, maybe consider replacing the sentence:

Game must be started by October 2011

with:

The initial Game Development start must be after 30 September 2011
Or
Submissions of Game Projects with an initial start date before 1 October 2011 will be ignored / not accepted

Or something like this. It indeed reads kind of odd, if you read the first post at this moment in time, it appears to not allow games which just started or will start any date before submission closing.

But since it is required that the games must have been finalized by a certain date, why isn’t the requirement set to meet this?

Only games with a first final stable release between 1 October 2011 and 31 December 2012 can enter the competition

There is no good reason to reject games that are under development for several years, so they should be able to enter the competition right?

Crumpet - ah, now that I look at it, I worded the sentence wrong… thanks. Yes, there is a good reason for starting date. Projects which have been in development for longer periods will have an advantage over people who are just starting.

mrn - the deadline is December 31st 2012, at midnight of your timezone.

Mokazon, is the 2.6+ rule entirely necessary? I haven’t been using Blender lately which makes it hard to comply with 2012+ rule and 2.6+ rule. It would be great to use the competition as motivation to finish some of my previous work (like Totraum or others.)

Thanks,
Laxwolf