2012 Game Competition: WINNERS!

Laxwolf - Yes, it helps motivate the new blender, which is truly much better than 2.49. It also saves time. The judges have to go through a lot of games, and if we have to switch back and forth between versions, it just gets complicated. The 2012+ rule is fair because people who are just starting need to have a chance. It would scare away entries if people entered and just started working and they look at other projects, and they have a good base already.

Alright, 2012 rule makes sense but why would judges have trouble when it’s packed into an executable file?

Perhaps because different versions have different features. So, everyone using the same version means that everyone has the same feature set to choose from (i.e. 2.49 can’t play audio via Python, nor can it animate objects via Python; both usages need logic bricks in 2.49, whereas there are pure Python calls for 2.5+).

EDIT: On the one hand, I see where you’re coming from, Laxwolf - if you’re more comfortable in 2.49, then I see why you would rather use that than 2.61. However, perhaps this will be the push to get you to migrate. 2.6+'s BGE is more powerful and capable, and it will only get more useful in time with the new merges (Cucumber, Harmony, eventually). It also appears to run faster.

EDIT 2: I think it’s just about having a good baseline.

Just a thought, though…

If I’m going to try anything new, it’s going to be Unity. I love the BGE a lot, but I’m moving onto other programs. I’m very comfortable with 2.49 and all I really want to do is compete in the competition, not have to move onto the next blender.

I may be wrong but it just seems like a very unnecessary rule.

Laxwolf - it’s a quick transition, and if you have problems, feel free to ask me on skype

Out of curiosity:
The game should be made by a teamwork, individual, or both are allowed?
Does this competition only for free-to-download games, or commercial games can also enter the competition?

Thanks

In addition, should they be executables or blend files? If the game is to be commercially released, then, obviously, the blend file cannot be required (or the game wouldn’t be able to participate).

Nezgar - both are allowed. Games must be free to download.

Solarlune - either one is acceptable. You are not required to share the source either.

Up next: Sign up form

any ideas?

I’m in, I’ll remake the previous entry!

Does it have to be a full game?
I’d like to participate for fun and just make a small game. I guess what I’m asking is does it have to have long gameplay time? I amn’t entering to win, just for fun.

RossBlenderArt - No it does not have to be a full game.

I’m working on a logo, but I have a question: what theme are you looking for? 2D? 3D? Exciting? Dark? Mysterious? Sci-Fi? Technological? etc.

hamstaq - I’m open to anything

Logo version 1. It’s not very good, but I don’t know what you guys really want :rolleyes:

http://www.pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=23875

A bit more space between Blender 3d and Game Competition
Try and use Orange and blue? - Blender colours.

Which I understand, but isn’t it then more interesting to take this into account and divide the contest into two groups?
I assume the goals is to stimulate progress and reward the developers by publicity and some positive attention, while promoting the BGE in general?

Which is a shame for developers of larger projects, since these might be the ones who do a lot of hard work and do deserve some appreciation as well.
(a category as “made most impressive progress over the last year” feel the else wise left behind projects feel welcome too :smiley: )

Either way, nice initiative! Makes the BGE community a big warm family :slight_smile:

Could you make the logo available as svg? So others can contribute?
Easier to give visual feedback then textual?

I uploaded. The colours for the blue of the logo don’t go too well on a black background and the white is invisible on white, so I made it so that there’s a drop shadow (using AO)
Blend File Edit as you like
http://www.pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=23877

I think that the compositing should just be removed. I was just trying it :slight_smile:

hamstaq - looks very nice. I like it. Only make the AO in the back blurred more :wink:

http://www.pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=23884
how’s this look?

@mokazon, the words Blender 3D are too blurred now, the rest looks better though. :slight_smile: