[ADDON] Node Wrangler (aka Nodes Efficiency Tools)

Bug fixed. New version 1.7 uploaded.
Sorry for that.

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:2.6/Py/Scripts/Nodes/Nodes_Efficiency_Tools

2012-12-31:
Video Tutorial updated:

2013-01-04:
New version 1.8. Small fixes and little improvements in “Add Texture Setup” operator

just passed by to see if there was some new version :)… nice!

version 1.9

Changes in “Link Active to Selected”. Links are made to first of the input sockets that have the same type as output that it’s supposed to be linked to.
If none of input sockets of selected node has the same type - link is made to first input socket.
At the moment “Link Active to Selected” always overrides existing links. I intend to change this behavior. Now I’m testing some possibilities trying to find good balance between amount of possibilities and simplicity for the user.

version 2.0

Added option to select nodes inside frame (children) or select “parent”, i.e. frame(s) that the nodes are attached to.

Keyboard shortcuts:
‘[’ - select “parent”
‘]’ - select “children”

This doesn’t deselect selected nodes, but it adds to selection.

There is an issue that one of the users spotted: Add-on doesn’t work properly inside node groups. I’ll investigate this issue.

Issue from previous post has been fixed.

Current version: 2.0.04

• Add On now works fine inside open node group
  • Fixed behavior of “Aligh Nodes” - inexpected shift has been removed.
  • Changed axes of Align Nodes.

(versions 2.0.02 and 2.0.03 were buggy)

Still seems quite useful ^^
Will it come in trunk someday or is that not your ambition?

Thanks for the reminder, I think that this would be a great addition to built-in addons or even trunk!

I see your addon made it to contrib - congratulations for that! It’s so useful that it deserves to be included in every blender build. The compozitor/node editor was one are in blender where I felt my work slowing down. That doesn’t mean I don’t like working with nodes - I do - but it was one part of blender where I was really tied to going through menus an lists, as opposed to just using hotkeys to get the work done quickly. Your addon changed that, so thank you for all your work!

Thanks for all the comments. Yes, it made it to contrib. Therefore the tracker page link changed. Here’s the new one:
http://projects.blender.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=33543&group_id=153&atid=468

wiki page remained the same:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:2.6/Py/Scripts/Nodes/Nodes_Efficiency_Tools

svn download:
https://svn.blender.org/svnroot/bf-extensions/contrib/py/scripts/addons/node_efficiency_tools.py

I’m planning to make some improvements to the add on before I consider it ready for trunk.

great news! Well done!

Congratulations, now we don’t have to keep looking for latest version!

imho it would be more logical to make this shortcuts deselect the old node and add another shortcut with the “shift” modifier, because shift is usually used to add to selection.

Ok blenders selection behaviour is very weird anyway but i think it would be still more intuitive.

and of course awesome work!! this makes working with nodes a billion times better!

Let me explain why I decided to make the behavior exactly as I did:

At first I was thinking about using shift to add to selection, but those shortcuts are already occupied. (“Select same type prev”, “Select same type next”)
Therefore I decided to chose more useful behavior and IMHO it’s better to add to selection.

New version 2.0.07.

Changelog:

• “Add Switches to outputs” changed to “Add Reroutes to Outputs” (new shortcut - SLASH)
  • “Add Reroutes to Outputs” added options to add to all or only to loose outputs.
  • Added - “Swap Reroutes and Switches” (Shift-S) - change reroutes to switches and vice-verca.
  • Changed “Copy Label” - new options: “from active”, “from node”, “from socket” (Shift-C)
  • Added “Clear Label” (Alt-L)
  • Merge Nodes change - now new merging node added even of only one node selected

Code Clean Up:

• Made use of new available attributes - ‘node.width’, ‘output.links’, ‘input.links’
    (classes affected: NodesCopySettings)

Thank you Bartek!

V. 2.0.08:

• Updates needed to match API changes. When adding nodes - different way of identifying nodes’ types needed.
    WARNING: Doesn’t work with previous versions of Blender including official 266a release.
  • Marge Nodes: Ctrl-0 merges all selected nodes except Shaders using ‘Mix’ node with ‘Mix’ blend type.
  • When nodes with mixed output types are selected - ‘Mix’ nodes will be used (doesn’t apply to SHADERS).

V. 2.0.09
Additional keyboard shortcuts for merging nodes, changing blend types or operations.
The goal was to allow to use not only numpad keys, but regular keys as well.
In ‘Add Reroutes to Outputs’ - now it’s possible to use numpad slash and regular slash.

V. 2.0.10
Code clean up, no functional changes.

Version 2.1.1:
All options that I had in mind when thinking of this addon have been added in this version.
Video tutorial has been updated.
All info can be found in the first post of this thread.

Just keeps getting better and better.

Thank you!