Best game graphics ever?

Okay I’ve heard enough of this! You guys can’t talk about good graphics until you’ve seen the first mission of Crysis 1 on the highest settings. Nothing on ANY console even comes close to this.

take a look at this: http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/2248/crysis1eq8.jpg Watching this at 40+ fps is just… wow nothing else compares to it…

Notice the “tri” count in the upper right. Over 1 MILLION tris rendered on the screen. Consoles CANNOT do this. I don’t care how good the artist is, there is only so much they can do with a limited poly count. Normal maps are great, but they aren’t as good as the high poly model they’re derived from.

This isn’t to mention the subsurface scattering that Crysis has for its skin shaders. I have yet to see a console game that even attempts to have SSS in the game.

Crysis 2 looks really great, but the environments aren’t as complex as in Crysis 1, hence why it can be ported to consoles. Crysis 1 is famous for it’s MASSIVE draw distances. In the first mission, you parachute onto the island from a plane, and you are NOT looking at a matte painting of the island as you fall, no, you’re looking at THE ISLAND; granted the geometry is much lower res than if you were close to the ground standing on it, but still, the fact that it can draw terrain from several KILOMETERS away is just phenomenal. Crysis 2 doesn’t have to do this: there is always a tall skyscraper conveniently placed so as to block your vision, that or you can’t walk out as far as you can see, and so they’ve just thrown a matte painting down there.

EDIT: Forgot to make my point! lol

My point: It doesn’t matter how good an artist you are, you are going to hit a hardware limit sooner or later. PC is later, Console is REALLY effing soon.

Wow. That is good LazyCoder. I have never seen Crysis before (though I have heard of it). I do not play many games though.

It’s quite an experience. :slight_smile: It’s a great game too, not just because of it’s graphics. It’s so much fun to drive a jeep head on into an enemy jeep, jumping out at the last second. Yes, they explode! :smiley:

make it another vote for GoW3 (actually, also GoW2 on PS2). Mindblowing visuals combined with exquisite neo-classical+goth artwork in-game. So much friggin’ better in every aspect than that Clash of Titans hollywooden crap…

Crysis has the best graphic’s I’ve seen. Some examples:

http://www.incrysis.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=30645 (warning: very large images).

I saw those images a while back. +1 vote for them. Stunning. They look like they took 1 million years to make.

Crysis has more than just graphics and gameplay on it’s side, it has PRICE.
I picked it up for an (above average in Australia) price of $20, with Wars and Warhead included.
that means that i got it at $1.20ish per GIGABYTE of graphics awsomeness.

There is absolutely no comparison between any console and the PC - the OP is comparing a tiny, tiny 1080p image to that of a platform which will output whatever resolution you want - within reason. You can set a PC to be many times the resolution of an HD TV if you want. Any console is laughable by comparison. The resolution difference alone makes a huge difference in anti-aliasing and movement realism. And that is not even mentioning the pure power that a PC can give.
The fact that Gears of War 3 was mentioned at all shows that this thread was doomed from the start.

1080p tiny? :eek: I’m hoping you’re not wasting your 4320p resolution on your 22" display… :yes:

Perhaps you’re also enjoying that ultra smooth 480 FPS, huh? So fast a frame rate the images begin to go backwards… :stuck_out_tongue:

BTW, GoW3 runs in 720p AFAIK. Still mindboggling visuals and far better art than ever to be found in Crysis. Actually, Crysis is only known as a benchmarking tool and for mods far better than the original game, like most of the pictures thrown in to prove how much life-like and boring it looks… :slight_smile:

Yeh, Crysis’ a techdemo and pretty much blows as game, however this thread is not to determine a good game it is about kickass graphics.
And sadly that recently got the no1 indicator for a good game.
Every day in gaming site forums, whenever they announce a new game, I read “yesterdays graphics, booring”, “games looked better 5 years ago, can only be crap”

F#$%in’ Dragon’s Lair man http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_KFMSbnz3w&feature=related 1983!

I have seen this opinion expressed on several forums and quiet a few people who work for gaming companies have countered this and their explanation has in a way made sense to me.

Consoles are a stable platform so if you are coding an exclusive game for the PS3 you only have one GPU to target this can give games like God of War or Uncharted an advantage in that the can maximize the use of that GPU and get the most out of it. And because the platform is stable as time goes on you get more and more experience with getting more out of it. Those two factors can allow the console guys to keep up with PC games which are developing on a constantly change platform a new card come out about every 18 months or less. But I will admit that at the moment with XBOX and PS3 having been out for 6 or so years the are starting to show their age graphics wise.

Pfff. Minecraft all the way man. http://www.newgamenetwork.com/userfiles/minecraft.png

Nothing to this day blew me away like the first time I saw GL quake or super mario 64…if this is about best graphics versus time period, I would still choose those over the graphics versus the time period of today.
but if I had to say something about the games of today I would go with the elder scrolls 5 or 6 what are they on now???
it is 5 TES Skyrm.

Agreed - Skyrim (The Elder Scrolls 5) is looking great. I have Oblivion (4), and will have to wait until it’s $10 to get Skyrim! Long wait I guess…

Metroid other M.

Battlefield 3!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB1yq28VAKg&feature=channel_video_title

crysis 2 for me the game uses cryengine hopefully a timesplitters 4 release happens soon if it does that is going to beat the hell out of every other game and the developers say that the cry engine is a 5 yrs away techwise from all the other engines

PC games have the best graphics out there so i cant say witch has the best but is it not god of war lol and you should pare these up with there type of game example: fps 3rd person and so on since all of these games graphics are never the same you cant compare a first person shooter to a 3rd person game. first person games in my book have the best graphics out there and they will continue to have the best. I am all Xbox and Pc gaming. Sony is garbage if you ask me.

STAR CRAFT 2 is one of my options
Gears of war 2 and gonna be 3
CoD black ops/ modern warfare 2
counter strike source
Day of defeat source and many more
also lets not forget halo series