BG contest - were the moon landings faked?

okayyy… now we are moving to some modelling.
my main plans for this would be to use some ANT landscape…
and some particles…
and some dynamic paint
you get the idea!
today i worked on the main sun for this scene and how it will illuminate the scene. here’s a small sample as volumetrics take long to render

notice a faint ring around the sun that i was able to achieve… incase you were wondering what i was doing makin a sun. that ring will give us a spacefect (space effect)

let me give you guys atleast some hint of what the image would be… it will be way long in height and it’s on earth. (sorry NASA)

hey… sorry to interrupt your scrolling but you’re gonna have to click on this link anyway…
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f1/Captain_Warren_Chaney_(seated)_on_set_of_U.S._Dept._of_Army_Broadcast_Production.jpg

the camera’s shown in this picture will be something i’ll model next… what say? too old or too advanced for 1969?

anyway…
i better get started on the most feared thing i have when it comes to 3d… MODELLING HUMANS. the scene would show atleast 2 or 3 people doing something. and the worst part is that i’ve never modeled any thing organic before… any tips?

Those cams are just fine for 69. They didnt exactly have cameras like we have now. That was about all you could come by in 69. color tv was patented in the early 40s but did not start to become mainstream until the 60s, after color tvs second patent.

cool… so i’ll be modelling them shortly…i was just wondering that because if you see some pictures on the lunar landing, they have smally sized cameras, like some handicams today. and those cameras took great photos… but that was heavily funded by the Govt. so probably on earth the big cameras were still mainstream…

well, those cameras they had in space where still prety low quality. for the time they where great. by todays standards, the low color count, low MP and slow shutter… cell phones from 2008 had better cameras TBH.

sorry to interrupt your scrolling again but this time you HAVE TO CLICK ON THIS LINK BELOW:
http://free-textures.got3d.com/natural/free-character-references/free-character-texture-references-man-2/pages/free-character-texture-references-man-213.html
SO THIS IS ONE OF THE (*TURNS CAPSLOCK off) man on my scene… it doesn’t matter whom i model i want someone to look like a govt agent. this dude seems the best deal.
apart from the astronaut. i need two more men… one obese and one short heighted… but first the govt agent!
what say? is this dude okay or not okay for that time? or okay or not okay as the govt agent ?
i better get started ealry on this one

so the time has come…
the time for something new…
something never done before…
i shall do it…
so can i?

started to sculpt my first ever character

ignore the proportion things… they’re clothes… i was sick and tired of all the useless naked guys available on blendswap…
seriously would it hurt someone to put some clothes on one dude just to make it usable for animations!!??

some more progress…

sculpted the wrinkles and creases of the arm today… i admit that it’s not so realistic but i guess the same would work in all kinds of poses.
i have about two days to finish him up… then atleast 3 days to finish an obese man… then a janitor. after that i will get started on the set.

okay… posting progress of a sculpts is really awkward… there’s isn’t much difference… and i can’t really rap so…
i’m not going to…
just kidding here’s some more progress

okay so clothing is finished!!.. i guess
so this would be the final for the time being

now quick question…
should i model the face or sculpt it? i don’t have the time to sculpt it or anything but i heard it gives better results… else i’m gonna model it by hand.

Sculpt it, believe me its both easier and better, sculpt and then retopo.

NOTE: It’s difficult to get a face right, I’d advise use of an image reference.

i think i have my modelling skills and have seen many people do modelling only… sculpting is definitely not my primary in blender.
i think im gonna go with modelling the basemesh then sculpt some details… if not then stay with the basemesh only.

I’m not doubting your modeling skills friend, it’s just a fact, sculpting makes life a ton easier

example:

Male Model, Face, Plain Modeling Method (From Reference). Time Spent: 4 Hours.
[The Reason it takes long is basically you have to move each vertex manually constantly…]
http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad96/Journeyman0055/facestudy_zps5bc0f2f5.png

Female Model, Face, Sculpting and Retopolo Method, Time Spent: 1 Hour 30-ish minutes Sculpting, 1 Hour Retopo
[The Reason why modeling went faster is because the shape is already there sculpted, you only need to use a skrinkwrap modifier, focus on topology and your done.]
http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad96/Journeyman0055/Face_zpsa544327b.png
[and you can bake a heightmap from the sculpt and get more detail using the deform modifier]

(Personally I find the latter one both better and less time consuming)

Jim Morren

you know what you’re right!!!.. I did not realise that earlier.
thanks man. will start shortly.

and so it begins…
yet another sculpt
im excited!!!

this time i’ll try multitire sculpting… since for past i had been using dynotopo

That’s the Spirit!!!

Jim Morren

okay… now i know why i didn’t chose to try organic model in the first place… because of this…

don’t worry… i haven’t given up yet… not yet… then again i probably should see some tutorial shouldn’t i? but i’m afraid that i would have to start all over again… ahh forget it im watching a tutorial

okay… i think i can finally say that shit’s coming to life… i honestly didn’t expect it to be this good and i didn’t even watch any boring tutorial…

the total amount of time actually spent on this head must be around 30 mins or so… that said… sculpting really is fast… TRY IT IT WORKS…

I think i got nothing more to do on him so i guess i won’t… didn’t want him to go too much in detail as it won’t matter in the first place.

he knows what you did… and he’s judging the shit out of you…

i don’t know how but i somehow got the ears right… i still don’t know how.
tomoroww i’ll retopo it and by the 15 of this month i have to finish this project… because i’ll be going someplace and most probably won’t even have access to electricity… will return on 21st and then all left is rendering.
so tomorrow after retopoing him and his cloth body… i would have to make two more humans…
one obese and one astronaut.

so began retopo-ing… have really no idea how i’m gonna do the ear… probably use some triangles and stuff.

finished front face… al that’s left now is ears and back.