Boats and water.... AGAIN

He could just invert the second “add”, couldn’t he?

Invert? what do you mean?

Alrighty…

I fiddled and played today… and started from a different direction.

I imported the water into the file I had already created with the Fitz.

After importing, I had to tinker to get the water kinda back to what I had before… and then had to recreate the composition node… after that… just tinkering with the different nodes.

Here is what I came up with… and I really like the look of it…

http://www.greatlakesgraphics.net/fitz/images/water_test5.jpg

I really like the edging on the Fitz and even at the edge of the horizon…

I may end up putting the mist back in…but for now, I am really liking where this image set is going :slight_smile:

Cujo

Lookin good! Whats with the black outline? on the ship i mean

DDD…

That came about when I was playing with the node compositor setup I had…

I basically left everything as it was in the original setup I posted… except I changed the last “mix” node to difference instead of mix or add… The result was the sharp edge with the faint outline you see…

I can post a screen shot if you want…

Cujo

UPDATE************************************

Here is what I changed:

http://www.greatlakesgraphics.net/fitz/images/nodes.jpg

Sorry,but for me, this doesn’t work at all :no:

You have the realistic look of the sky and waves and the comic-look of the ship in the middle.

I mean, I think it would be great, to see a pic of the ship in your comic setup from the first post, with simplified water and modelled clouds.
As it would, to see an all realistic pic (to whatever degree you like).

But this mixed version, i don’t like. :spin:

No worries on that… started thinking the same thing…

I like the sharper edge but the line was discerning…

I stared at it again and again for a hour… and ended up
going back to the drawing board…

And I tried my edge setting with it that I originally had been using…

While it looks ok with the waves and ship… the sky ends up just looking flat. with no edging… so nope… not going that route… and I am not going to model clouds for the sake of having a edge on them… so I stripped that back off… and went back just to plain old image…

Cujo

Well, i dunno what happened in the compositor, i did like the new clous though, forgot to mention that…
If you dont mind, you can upload your .blend and i can take a look, maybe i can come up with a decent composite setup.

This is getting quite good. Two comments.

1. the wake at the stern looks too weak, although it could just be the camera angle.
  2. personally, I liked the ship better without the dark-edged bloom.

The black edge looks like a premultiplication problem. Unfortunately, I’m not familiar enough with the compositing nodes in blender to know if they have a “unpremultiply” node or not.

Oh the black edges only came after I changed the last mix node to “difference” instead of mix or add… after changing it back that went away… so no worries… I thought it was a cool effect at first… but it just didn’t quite work…

updated:

http://www.greatlakesgraphics.net/fitz/images/water_test6.jpg

This is very good :yes:

For the comic look, i think flat clouds from bezier curves would have done the job… so no more than half an hour work tops… but i guess it depends on how good the rest looked.

I’d keep it like this. sky, ship and water are quite evenly lighted and the rest can (should?) be done with the light setup (maybe even have the shadow of a cloud on the water?).
But for me, that’s after modelling the rest of the ship. :rolleyes:

Hmmm… after looking at it for quite some time now, there’s another thing:
The splash waves (or whatever they are called) are very thick at their ends. I think they would get much narrower (and even be seperated) before vanishing.

Ok… heading out to dinner with family and to do some Geocaching…

Will talk to you guys this evening… but for now, here is another update:

http://www.greatlakesgraphics.net/fitz/images/water_test7.jpg

Dropped the Fitz deeper in the water to simulate her actually carrying cargo… and I found a node trick… got rid of the thick line around the ship and the shadowy edge too… this is much more acceptable to me… comments?

Thanks Cujo!

Oh, if you’re going for the comic look, then the black outline achieved that well. Maybe combine it with the soft black glow you just added. Pump up the saturation and contrast in the cloud image. Make sure the light is coming from the right direction as well. The light seems to be hitting the side of the boat that is facing us, but the clouds get brighter to the right of the frame.

@asano well in that case he should flip the image… not change the light so his scene isent well lit :stuck_out_tongue:

Haha, yeah, just flip the uv coordinates of the image, i think you press S(Scale) and x(along the horizontal) and -1 or M(mirror) and X(horizontal)