Cycles tests - the new blender CPU/GPU renderer of awesomeness

Please some help. How can I use displacement maps? When cycles nodes are used, I’m losing the displacement textures that I use in disp modifier. What am I doing wrong?

@Wefyb Can you provide a link to the “Main Cycles page” you are refering to?

@Wefyb Aaaah, this one, right. I’ll post my test there also.

Sorry, please excuse my vagueness… I do not mind if others post related tests and such, in fact I encourage it! (I just edited the first post to include that)

Will it be possible to “Bake” with this renderer.

I wouldn’t count on baking being implemented for a while, but I would be shocked if it wasn’t eventually.

thanks for sharing. however, this file crashes the windows build form graphicall.org
maybe that is the problem with the windows build itself

Well, I just downed the newer build from Graphicall, and what can I say. It is quite a bit faster. Literally an extra 2/3 of the speed added. I can now actually USE the viewport.

Although some pretty bad Noise issues, they get fixed up pretty quickly now because I finaly have access to more than 50 passes an hour…

Hello to everyone, this is my first post here.
I’ve been testing Cycles also, and i like it a lot.

This little picture took 1 min 57 sec to render. GPU GTX460
400 passes, max 8, min 4.

http://www.pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=11928

Not quite happy with this, getting Black spots literally ALL OVER THE PLACE whenever I use the Velvet Material. If somebody else could doa small test for me…

Also, WELCOME JPKilpeläinen and Happy 2.5-Cycles!

Luxrender also has the Velvet material, and the thing you need to know is that the lighting on that material changes dramatically enough that it’s recommended you make it more predictable by mixing it with another material (I’m thinking this could also make it more prone to shading bugs as well when you use it by itself)

Just a test… I noticed that the cuda build I’m trying renders a lot faster than a cpu only build: probably some processor optimisation I guess…

anyway, here’s my test… clearly shows there’s no mip mapping, but here I’m using a displace modifier and a displace map(which is just bump right now)

On my 425m (96 cuda cores) this scene was around 2:30 for the noisy bottom pictures… the top picture was a viewport render that I didn’t time… less than 5 minutes though.

I’m doing a short movie in my spare time and this has me tempted to do some stuff in cycles already!

Seeing the speed boost you get with an nvidia 460 (300 and something cuda cores) and how the 460 can be as low as £130 i’m sorely tempted…

http://www.cowtoolsmedia.co.uk/assets/cycles.jpg

I can confirm the nice speedup of the latest windows build. It seems almost twice as quick. However, something broke with the focal length of the camera: it is stuck @ about 35…

@ MichaelW: Damned ! I just ordered my AMD card ! Oh I hate to read such things…

Just looked a bit more into the Velvet material and MAN is it buggy…

Refuses to mix properly with most other nodes (atleast on the faster 32 build) except for Glossy (why would I want that…seriously…) and Diffuse. The diffuse is ok, but it still lsoes that same effect that the Velvet has. It is unfortunate but I will have to live with it. (for now)

And Michael, I am tempted to do the same. Then move my 250GTS into my old computer. Tempting, but I am not sure yet whether I should or not. It looks promising with cycles coming up, and my habit for gaming in my extraspecialawesomesparetimemoments would benefit too… Discussion for another place really…

Also, has anyone else found that images clear up quicker in the view than in renders? Maybe thats just me but it looks that way…

Yes, but then with all the UI screenspace, my viewport is usually a 1/4 the area of a full render… so I’m not surprised it’s much quicker…

But it’s also possible that a full render does “more stuff™”

Thanks for sharing your tower for testing spohst. Opening your file, and hitting F12, 512 passes with glow and colour, took 2:46 on my system. 64bit linux on gtx460.

But, I’m curious if anyone knows of a way to check which video card cycles is using. I use a 9800gt for display and the 460 for rendering in Octane. When rendering in Octane the 460 fan sounds like a jet engine - but in cycles, although I can hear it it’s alot quieter. AFAIK they both use the same driver. So as cycles is much quieter, I’m wondering exactly which hardware I’m using. 9800gt, 460, both?

So, I attempted to render an animation with cycles… though, with the build I was using it wouldn’t progress the frames as it rendered. (rendered the same one over and over) So, I had to render each manually, thats why its lower quality than I’d like it to be. I didn’t want to babysit it for 6 hours… hahaha

Average frame render time: 44 seconds, (never more than 45 or less than 43) on a 560ti 1024mb

300passes, bounces: 1min 1max, 440647 faces

http://vimeo.com/23284169

Also, I had fun with the internal video editor a little too… haha

While I was at it, I decided to do a big render too! (click for 3600X1600 vir)

http://www.dgdigital.net/blender/cycles/images/cyclesrobotsmallcomp.jpg

Some info on this large render:
6 hours 49 minuets
440647 faces
frame 36 (from the animation)
peak memory usage 334.94mb
5000 passes
bounces: 4max 4min
Static bvh
Using Spatial splits
3600 x 1600
geforce 560ti 1024 gddr5
phenom II X6 3.3ghz
12GB ram

@michael w: Wow, that’s an awesome dragon! Is it all modeled, or is it a bump map?

@dgriffin91: To render an animation, use Step: 2 and render it twice, once starting on frame 1, the second starting on frame 2. This will render first all the odd frames and then all the even frames. This is a bug.

OpenCL will be implemented, so no worries, just patience.

Great test renders, for a first prerelease of a render engine cycles is awesome, i have the dude if is posible use at same time CPU+GPU in a render engine.