Cycles tests - the new blender CPU/GPU renderer of awesomeness

It’s possible, but cycles doesn’t do it yet. It is on the TODO list though.

Thanks! it’s mostly bump map and a little bit of captured displacement map as a displace modifier…

this one is just geometry…(haven’t retopo’d and painted bumps for it yet!
rendered@ 1280x720 96 cuda cores 365 passes 6 minutes and some change…

@kettlefish Nvidia’s System Monitor can do that. http://www.nvidia.com/object/system_monitor.html

great sculpting michaelW, let me guess, sculptris?
I still can’t handle or see any bumps on my cycles engine. How?

Are you using just rectangle lights or something more complicated? Its crucial for render times.

But I also had a look on this. Its not possible here. Same UV coordinates split in two textures?

The lights are mesh planes with an emmisive material… also in depth I scattered some floating cubes that have teh same emmisive material…

The split uvs in your picture is a strange one!

manual wiring of branches has been disabled!
I think that Brecht is disallowing branching node trees like in that picture to keep the “material properties” stack linear… or it’s just a bug…

however, if you collapse the UV node so it has only one output… select that node and the one you want to connect too and hit “f” and it’ll get wired up like in the picture…

The whole node system and node ui/properties UI is very early… no previews of textures/materials other than in teh “live render”… no mip mapping etc etc…

I get the feeling this whole thing will evolve a lot and cause lots of breakage along teh way!!!

Got it, no more questions then. Thanks so much Michael. Lets have some fun now.
Is this set up correct? Combining a color and a bump map. Same UVs

So far, no displacement modifier… I mean you have it but not a big deal as cycles reads view value of subdivisions, not the render ones. So, just import or use the hi def mesh … Oh my. LOL

I get the feeling this whole thing will evolve a lot and cause lots of breakage along teh way!!!

+1

Thanks for the info spacetug. Unfortunately I don’t think it’s available for linux, at least I couldn’t spot it.

But then I had a brain wave. I could just look at the X server settings panel and watch the temperatures of each card. DOH!

So It turns out in gpu mode both cards heat up, but the 9500GT (not 9800gt my mistake) which, is the one my monitor is attached to only goes up by a couple of degrees. Whereas the 460gtx shoots up a good 30 to 40 degrees. So cycles seems to be using the 460 quite happily.

The 9500gt does have some cuda cores (very few), but with the small temp increase I’m assuming it’s not in use.

But it raises the question, can cycles can use multiple gpus? It would be cool if it can. Does anyone know? or can anyone test?

I can not go further than this
I would like to map the other elements of the ship, but if I load another texture inevitably crashes (I’ve tried everything)

Seeing that multiple GPU is a TODO in the cycles wiki, I’d say with confidence that it is not supported…

…yet :wink:

Thanks Michael. I should probably go and read it. :smiley:

Branching in my screenshot was achieved by adding the new nodes while the UV node was selected :stuck_out_tongue: basically to workaround the bug :slight_smile: I have promised not to report bugs or ask for features at this stage of development but this is tempting :slight_smile:

Branching in my screenshot was achieved by adding the new nodes while the UV node was selected

LOL. +1
Meanwhile a fast render trying materials etc. A Sculptris imported artifact (with some help from zbrush, decimating grouping and UVing). Its funny that lot of poly don’t change render times much, calculations only. This is a rather low poly but took more time because of reflections. I find cycles a little magic. Its called love LOL.

Ha ha, Nice!

Any idea when sculptris Beta will be out (and indeed if it’ll be free?)

Private message me when it’s actually released… if the news isn’t breaking large here first!!!

my first spin of cycles on an incomplete car model. I need to play around with this some more

a wip low poly character with one subdivision from a game that i develop with blender and unity, only for fun, i am programmer no modeler, this image take aprox. 1 minute in my quad core q6600 2.4ghz

bottle collection from cgsociety’s lighting challenge.

lizard sculpt (multires 2.8 million polygons) 3minutes Q9550. 50passes, max bounces 64, min bounces 1

There’s another workaround that’s a bit easier to do when your node tree is almost complete and you don’t want to delete nodes.

Connect the other nodes to different sockets and change their socket type to UV in the material panel, this doesn’t mean the bug with not being able to get multiple connections from one socket shouldn’t be fixed though.

Personally, I can’t wait until the colorband node is back in and working with Cycles, adjusting gradients can currently be done with math nodes and mix nodes, but colorband makes doing this nice and easy.:cool:

Great renders guys. I think branching works too if you select texture and then destination node and press f (or was it ctrl + f ?).
Happy, happy, joy, joy:

@Jose
This is the trick, as MichaelW mentioned above. Waiting for your render tests.
Update: nice renders, I’m wondering, no AA?

400 passes 8 min 1200x1200px no cuda (but fast cpu lol)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24090090/3gCyclesRl.jpg

My Test