(Dinosaur Contest) Carnotaur

yes, more of that! if it helps, you should watch David Ward’s tutorial on box modeling an alien here, if you haven’t already: http://cgcookie.com/blender/2009/12/01/box-modeling-an-alien-character-in-blender-2-5-alpha-0/

same principals should apply. extruding out muscle areas and then smoothing them with the sculpt tool would help as well.

Thanks for the link, I was looking for that tutorial! I actually used only the sculpt tool for this.

Early work on some ridges + grooves down his back, as well as some reshaping of the hip bone (though it’s hidden by the legs):

Here’s more muscle/bone definition around the feet, jaw, hip and shoulders:

Looking nice your toon carnotarus but like a big one picture oh sorry i can see big enough nice model man :slight_smile:

If you need help, I’ll tell you that you need to redo the forms now. You always need to build forms early on in the development and then refine them as you go. Right now, your dino has a block shape to it, and for some reason it has a texture on it when it could be further developed in the sculpting phase and the modeling phase for that matter.

Here is a site I like to look to for inspiration when modeling and sculpting dinosaurs: http://stores.homestead.com/hstrial-Dliebman2/-strse-48/Carnotaurus-Maquette-by-Sideshow/Detail.bok

The image there is a carnotaur, which is something you should try to aim for. You need a decent side reference to get the overall proportions correct: http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs43/i/2009/058/1/1/Carnotaurus_sastrei_by_DiBgd.jpg

Next, you need inspiration from a 3D sculptor who has already done this model: http://trodinswebosaurcheats.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/3dtotal.jpg

Now, you have what you need to make a better model. When people comment on your model as looking like a “cartoon,” it means your model lacks realism. If you’re okay with this, then leave it as be. However, if you want to improve overall as both a modeler and sculptor, then you should take the time necessary to improve, not make excuses on why it’s okay the way it is (not saying you’re doing that). As an artist, you’re supposed to improve as you go. Never settle.

Hope this helps you out.

@Kris, thanks for looking out for this model. If I were to start over, I would most definitely follow more high-detail modeling processes to make the overall form, but, I’ve put a lot of work into it and don’t especially feel like doing it all over again. =( I will try to make another model, and if it looks a lot better, perhaps I will sculpt it, and just see how it goes, but the way I’m doing it more or less follows the style I’m going after. I want it to not be blocky, but just blocky enough to look stocky. The image you posted, and Benjee posted, are less what I’m trying to create. But I will see how my remodeling goes.

Ah, well, you’re just trying to create something that isn’t. Meaning, you’re making a carnotaur based on what you think it should look like rather than follow known references for the dino? If that’s the case, okay. Good luck with it.

Well, I’m following fairly accurately the bone structure, but I added more muscle - perhaps with less definition, I’ll try to fix that - than what’s already been made. In my new model I’ll try to make it a little more like the one Benjee posted but I want it to be a little stocky.

I’m working on a new model that’s more high-poly (at least along the Y axis), though I haven’t deleted the old one. It definitely seems more realistic to me but doesn’t give the impression of being very fierce, my bro feels the same way. =( I like the legs but the head looks a little weird, and overall he looks thin.

I had an idea of how to use both though: the new one is like a youthful male, and the other one is like the old, dominant male, and maybe they fight…your thoughts?

Not so bad in comparacion que el otro . complete all the body then you can draw in gimp or photoshop to change some parts of the body the legs, face .
Then you can create a low poly mesh with the new new reference you have done .

The process take some time :wink:

The shape is fine, but it’s already too high poly. I can tell you model using subsurf, which is not good modeling.

Sorry, man, I have neither Gimp nor Photoshop, yet. I really should get Photoshop soon.

@Kris, I don’t see what’s wrong with sub surf, as it shows me what the mesh will look like with multi res. If I model without it, then add a multi res, weird creases and such pop up that I never would have known to exist.

I’m sorry, but modeling with subsurf on is akin to modeling cartoon characters. If you don’t know how to model without using it, say so. Otherwise, you’re just doing yourself a huge injustice by continuing to develop as a modeler this way. All you need is a 10-sided cylinder for the body, and then attach a couple cylinders for the arms and legs. Then, you cut in the defining shapes. Extrude out a foot; create some hands; take a box and start modeling the head. One day, I might create a tutorial for my method of dino creation.

I’ll leave you alone now. I’m just trying to get you to see the bigger picture here. In all seriousness, good luck with your new model! :smiley:

Actually I’d kind of like you to keep watching this thread as you’ve given me a lot of good info. If you don’t think sub surf is a good idea, well then, okay.

I’m still modeling by extrusion, same as I did the first time, only I’m extruding a group of faces at a time to get a more high-poly limb. Here’s the current progress without sub surf (by the way, I’m following the “Bonaparte” skeleton):

Heya Owldude,

I liked how the first one was going, the toon style was easy to imagine a caveman and what the set could have looked like. But its cool that you are going for more accurate proportions.

Kris is right though, you generally want to be able to hit your shapes and proportions with your un-subsurfed model first nice and cleanly, the subsurf should just kind of smooth out the perfection you have created. I went to VFS and this is what they taught there in the modeling program, so its how I’ve always done things. I will periodically turn on the subsurf when modeling to check out how it is looking, then continue modeling just the base shape.

The last screenshot you posted with the low poly shape is looking good so far, will look forward to updates. :slight_smile:

New version is looking very promising! Well done, and good luck (I assume you’re entering the competition?)

@Bapsis, I think I will keep the old one but the new one will be the main focus of this thread. @Benjee, thanks! Yes, I’m entering the competition, and the new one will be the primary entry.

Well, I haven’t posted in this thread for a few days and progress has been loose, but I do have something to show for it. I’ve started to sculpt around the head and legs, as well as modeled the inner mouth. Here’s where I am right now:

It’s nice to see you exploring sculpting a bit more. Good luck :slight_smile: