FLIP Fluids Addon: A liquid fluid simulation tool for Blender

Looks great, would love to participate.
Unfortunately Windows rules me out … so back to Houdini.

I think to have a FLIP simulation interact well and match the movement of displacement maps or the ocean modifier, a feature like Houdini’s ‘Guided Ocean Layer’ would be needed: http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/shelf/guidedoceanlayer.html

I’m not entirely sure how to implement this at the moment, but I have some ideas and maybe this is a feature that could be added in the future if users would find this useful.

The simulator offloads some calculations to the GPU to boost performance. Many FLIP calculations aren’t perfectly suited for GPU processing, so the full power of the GPU cannot be 100% utilized. Often the GPU usage is under 5%, but with this low percentage, the calculations can still run much faster on the GPU than CPU. For example, mesh data is generated on the GPU and in tests, when running on CPU, these calculations could be two to five times slower.

We hope to be able to support other operating systems at a later date. The code is written to be cross platform, we just need to find a reliable way to test and build the addon for other OSs.

is FLIP Fluids Addon beta purchase-able? I want it now, name your price!

Glad to hear you’re excited, but I wouldn’t feel comfortable taking payments for an unfinished product and a guaranteed testing slot! We’ll be choosing testers that fulfill a diverse set of hardware, have differing levels of experience, are eager to participate, and have enough luck to come out on top of a randomized list.

I use the ocean tools in Houdini all the time, it is merely a displacement map with noise to reduce the visible pattern, if you want flip fluids on top of that, Houdini offers tools to composite the flip fluids on top of the displaced object, to make it look seamless, its nothing magic really, just a nice trick, something that could be implemented in Blender I am sure!

Here is an ocean test I made in Houdini, been trying to replicate this in Blender but with no success so far!

I did some tests to composite with real footage. Needs to be more tested and finaly we could add a node setup to the addon. Btw the same thing with wetmaps using dynamic paint :wink:

Wetmaps makes a big difference in interactive realism. I hope there’s a way to get the animated texture baked out from the fluid interaction.

Interesting info! I should check out Houdini to get a better idea of how to get these features working in Blender.

@dafassi has shown me some tests with baking animated wetmap textures using the fluid surface. We’ll need to do more testing and find a good way to automate the process and integrate it into the interface.

Here is a Houdini 16 masterclass explaining the whole process, dont be shy if you have question, i use Houdini extensively at work!

Aye boy lemme get them fluids :wink:

Thanks, this looks like a great resource! I’ve downloaded the video so I’ll be able to watch it on a flight tomorrow.

Looks awesome, but unfortunately the Windows requirement makes me unable to test it. Can’t wait 'til you get support for other platforms (and maybe need Linux beta testers) :slight_smile:

Have you tried to bake these sims into an alembic cache? I’d be interested in testing-- could be cool to see some of these sims in UE4

I have zero experience with fluid sims so I guess I wouldn’t be of much use test driving FLIP Fluids, but I’m following this with interest. The fluid simulations shown in the examples are awesome. It looks very professional and I somehow expect the end product will be way over my hobby budget :yes: but very cool anyway.

This looks awesome. I don’t know if I would be of any use testing this, I played around with Mantaflow a bit but I’m not really an expert on fluid sims. So maybe it’s better to wait for the full release? Can we expect something below $100? That would be the maximum I’m willing to pay for this since it’s just a hobby.

SideFX has very in-depth and very technical videos, developers even contribute to the forum, as I said, if you have any questions ask away!

In the lighthouse example I posted there is only an infinite ocean, normally I would setup a flip fluid around the lighthouse so there are some splashes, white water and the such, that flip fluid would be driven by the ocean simulation, then I would use the Houdini tools to blend both simulations together for a seamless look!

Cannot say what price we are going to make the addon avaiable. But be sure: Our goal is it to make it lucrative as well as for hobbyists as for professional users!

Cool tool!

As far as ocean goes, not only it would be nice to simulate ocean to get quality seen in the game Sea of Thieves (besides realistic sim for movies, etc.), , but also being able to loop sim, bake it into Alembic and generate tiling PBR textures. That kind of stuff Blender really needs.

To be clear I was trying to apply to the beta with my last post lol

LOL, I see, so we can apply for the betas, well then, i am offering my services as well, this is exactly the type of features I am really looking forward in Blender development!