HairMesher (Generate mesh from hair with UVs,C++)

Bought it and thought I’d give some feedback!

What works:

• Generated meshes from the hair guides can extremely simplify hair creation, if you are patient.

• Decent set of options for customizing the hair mesh.

What doesn’t work:

• Crashes, all the time. This seriously needs some attention.

• The generated UVs are useless and cannot be used for texturing since they do not correspond with how the hair mesh actually looks therefore any texture you apply to them will be stretched out of proportion.
    This means you will most likely have to go and UV unwrap the hair meshes manually which is very tedious.
    Then create groups of hair meshes that will use the same UVs since you do not want to have 50 different UV maps for each strand.
    This again has to be done manually.

• The arch functionality does not seem to be working for me. All it does is that it weirdly flips normals of the generated mesh.

What would be nice to have:

• Fix for the constant crashing.
  • The arch needs to be looked into.
  • Option to only generate meshes from selected hair guides instead of all of them at once.
  • Option to have the generated hair strands as separate meshes instead of one big mesh (to make UV editing easier).

Conclusion:

Overall there is some great potential in this plug-in!

I hope you will continue to work on it and I cannot wait for updates! This is exactly what Blender has been needing.

But you should really look into the crashes. Those make the whole experience very unpleasant.

I’m not the guy who made this but hey.

You can just select all of the vertices, then all of the UVs and scale them on the x axis. I mean, the strand width depends on your texture anyway, so filling the whole UV space by default seems fine to me.

The arch functionality does not seem to be working for me. All it does is that it weirdly flips normals of the generated mesh.

You have to set columns to 2 in order to get arcs.

Option to only generate meshes from selected hair guides instead of all of them at once.

I kind of wanted this too but remembered that I can just make a few different hair particle systems instead (one for the front hair, sides and so on) Then just select the hair particle system you want to create meshes for. You can easily make layers with this.

Option to have the generated hair strands as separate meshes instead of one big mesh (to make UV editing easier).

I don’t really see how this makes things better. You can just Select Linked in edit mode to get a single mesh (and the UVs for that single mesh).

I think I’ll ask if the blender devs can expose particle hair children information to the python api. That would be really nice.

Hey there!

• I will look into scaling the UVs and see if it makes things better, thanks for the suggestion!

• And yes, the arc does not seem to be working even with columns set to 2.

• Yes that is the workaround but still for convenience, this feature would be much appreciated I think.

• I was thinking about UV unwrapping one strand and then applying those UVs to 10 other strands for example. This can only work if the 10 other strands are not one mesh.

The biggest issue with the plug-in right now however, really is the constant crashing.

Don’t know about you but I am trying to make a simple male hairstyle and the thing crashes constantly at various times.

thanks for your feedback,I will check for this,but I don’t have the crash problem,maybe it has bugs there that I haven’t found yet.
I will make the uv’s shape match the strand mesh next update,and make them seperated in option.

I think the UVs actually might not be that bad after re-scaling them. However, the option to only generate selected hair guides instead of all of them would be most welcome in the update!

About the crashes, I’m not sure what could be causing this.

It crashes completely randomly. Sometimes when trying to generate the mesh, sometimes when adjusting the width.

I’m having crashes too. It’s not a script crash, when you run the addon the whole program just crashes. It’s pretty interesting because it’s been years since I saw these kind of hard crashes in blender…

The only information I got from the debug (-d switch when running from command line) is that there was an Error: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION.

hi,
I think I have found out the crash issue and fixed.please check the store link https://sellfy.com/p/XFbE
----update20160112----
(1):add the sample feature that you can reduce the number of hair strand.
(2):fix the crash issue that will make blender crash ramdonly .
----road map----
will add the generate child hair feature that similar to the build-in function of blender.http://i803.photobucket.com/albums/yy311/imdjs/imdjs/hairMesher%201.1.gif

1 Like

Thanks for the update!

Unfortunately, the add-on just crashed on me again when trying to click generate after re-opening my scene I have been previously working on.

This can be fixed by disabling and enabling the add-on again.

Will let you know if I encounter any other crashes.

Nice new feature for reducing the hair!

I look forward to further updates!

hi, I’m interested in your bone creation method, I was using similar in multi extrude but it broke some time ago:
https://developer.blender.org/diffusion/BAC/browse/master/mesh_extra_tools/mesh_mextrude_plus.py
original addon here:
https://github.com/meta-androcto/blenderpython/blob/master/scripts/addons_extern/bones_from_mesh_addon.py

Any help would be appreciated as I miss this function very much.
Thanks.

Blender already has a bone sketcher.

Albertofx,
yes, but I’m interested in liero’s script as it suits my purposes differently to built in methods. I find it fast & flexible & it integrated well into multi extrude workflow, which seems similar to the bone creation in this addon.

@[](/u/Meta-Androcto
[/B)I check your script and add the layout to It .It seem work fine ,you select the polygon and extrude it,then can generate the bones along the extrude path.I don’t know what issue you encounter.
but I think you should generate the armature weight to the mesh by calculation in the script instead of the auto weight.beacuse auto weight is not accurate.

here is the file:
mesh_mextrude_plus.zip (4.33 KB)

imdjs, yes, it’s the accuracy loss, when the addon was originally written each bone was matching the extrusions length, I have struggled with this for some time. thanks for help. :slight_smile:

I just encountered another crash while trying to adjust the pow.

I don’t know what could be causing this, could this have something to do with the amount of generated hair curves?

I usually do not experience many issues when working on the scene for the first time but then when I save the scene and re-open it to continue, I get some crashes.

could you upload you scene file that cause crash? Since I did not encountered crash, I have tested for many times.

Unfortunately I can’t. I am using models that I cannot redistribute.

But is there any other way how I could help you? Like, could I see what caused the crash somewhere?

So those of us that already paid for the previous version have to buy it again???

I went to the site and I do not see anyway of getting the new version other than buying it again!!!

if you have paid this product you don’t need to pay again,if you can’t open the site I think it’s the problem of selfy itself,you can try It again.
but I suggest you wait for the next update.beacuse this update has the perfomance issue.I am trying to rewrite the calculation part via C++ module.It will probably have dozens of times the performance improvement
the link is still available:

if it still have problem please leave your email address,I will sent the addon file dirrectly to you.

You can download the new version by clicking the link you got in your email from sellfy.

Thanks Cyaoeu. Now i just have to find the link buried in my email in box.