icons for Blender 2.5

perfect…just perfect!

there should be a few optional icon-themes (like this one), packed into blender and should be able to choose via preferences (like matt ebb does)

Refreshing, discreet, clean… great work dude!

note: No you shouldn’t use more colours, it’s super fine like that.

cheers

Yes, really like these icons a lot.

I’m surprised that Matt’s icon file patch isn’t in CVS builds yet. It seems so simple an addition.

Each time i build from CVS, then apply the patch, when i then try to do a CVS update it won’t allow me to as the source files don’t match and i have to create a new directory and download CVS again.

is there a parameter to add to allow update regardless?

Those look real nice… I’ve just used blender so long it always feels a bit ankward when big changes take place in the interface :o…

Simply briliant, very clear design, very intuitive (user friendly) and modern. This definitely should be integreated in the next release :rolleyes:

Thank you very much for it

“This Icons looks AMAZING!!!”
Looks Great!!
I say the same like JiriH…
…“Simply briliant, very clear design, very intuitive (user friendly) and modern. This definitely should be integreated in the next release :rolleyes:”

Thank you very much for it

Great done!

jendrzych: Great job on the icon set! Once it’s complete, I do believe I’ll use it instead of the default.

On Radiosity: Instead of the traditionally used symbol of radioactivity, someone should be able to come up with something more appropriate. Two possibilities include a simple example of color bleed

or maybe a Cornell Box.

Really though, it should be anything other than what a newbie might expect to generate cool, automatic nuclear explosion effects. :slight_smile:

On Simulation, I thought maybe something like falling dominoes . . . although this would be difficult to display in such a small space (and of course, this would demonstrate only rigid body dynamics, in particular).

I also agree with RobCozzens in that a speaker would be better than a musical note for Audio.

Hope these thoughts help . . . and keep up the good work!

Yes, the second one for radiosity is quite explanatory.

Maybe there should be a pole where we can vote for this new icons. Denifinitely they shall be very useful and helpful for new users. :wink:

would someone kindly do a new windows build with brokens patch in?
https://projects.blender.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=5334&group_id=9&atid=127

that build is just a little out of date now :slight_smile:

I made small update and found some bugs / unconsistencies of Blender’s interface that can’t change since I’m not a coder :rolleyes::
EDIT: moved further
BTW, do anybody have an idea how Sculpt Mode icon could look like - I’m open for all suggestions but a sculpture and a chisel :slight_smile:

Sorry, I didn’t mean the cursor in your new Icon set, I meant the mouse cursor in Blenders current UI, as it is now it blends in real easily with backgrounds and meshes at certain angles, not nearly enough contrast. I like the drafting style shape but it could really use some bolder colors or contrasting colors to keep it from blending in while trying to work.

Well, for simulation I suggest a Newton cradle (that is what it is called right?). Easy to draw with great detail on a small space.

Simulation? You mean Physics?

Well, that makes it easy. :rolleyes: Obviousness is highly overrated.

Yeah, I’m sure that’s what everyone is referring to (I was). So many terms to keep straight - Rigid Body Dynamics, Fluid Simulator, Soft Body Solver, Particle System . . .

Very excellent, and fluent through out, I vote if there is a vote to get this into the CVS straight away, and get that into blender ASAP. I am interested though, with the change to the UI that Ton will be working on for 2.5 that he may be in need of suggestions for new icons and the such. This just makes total sense, to have this implimented into blender, it really is so simple a thing, but it improves the look from a mediocre open source feel to a well constructed professional interface look. I wouldn’t change too much (except the widgets icons could do with different icons, they are still a little unclear, if one is new to blender, maybe just make the widgets shapes for example: rings for rotate, in the 3 colors for the XYZ.) As mentioned a little extra color would be nice but I was thinking that if there could be roll overs, then the icons change from a mono chrome look which yours are very easy to see and identify to a colored icon when the mouse is over them. But I think I am asking too much now, I love what you have done, It is absolutely brilliant!!!

i agree the icons can make a big change may people say what the want, its an consciousness thingy after all…

sculpt?

two things i think about: clay and a 3d mesh

maybe think about an organic shape like a amorph clay model.

maybe with a brush as well shaping it.

or maybe a 3d mesh with brush on it.

Great Job !!! Really loving your icons : they convey a much better feel.

Blender would benefit a lot from that little extra care in the cosmetics department to gain wider acceptance by professionnals as one of their main apps for day-long use.
Despite its open-source advantage and powerfull workflow, I’ve read too many posts (at cgtalk and such) bashing ‘the crap UI’ when first checking out Blender against their current tools (C4D, modo, XSI, hexagon, etc…).

So wishing you the best with your work and hope it gets into the official release with the UI overhaul soon… with Pie menus, custom shortcuts and this, the future is bright !

Hey! Great Icons

For the sculpt mode, maybe you can refer to one of those 2 well know piece of art:

Really nice work! I’d love to see these get adopted as default icons.

I like Ron7’s idea of referring to a classic sculpture for “sculpt mode”… although the actual sculpt mode isn’t really very much like working in marble… I agree with cekuhnen that clay seems like the thing to think about… Hmm… Maybe a hand pinching a piece of clay? Something modeled after clay sculpting tools?