icons for Blender 2.5

there should be a few optional icon-themes (like this one), packed into blender and should be able to choose via preferences (like matt ebb does)

Quoted in agreement.

I love these icons, and I hope this patch will come into the CVS as soon as possible. My only worry is that if the planned UI redesign is too radical, this will become obsolete.

Must say I am really curious what Ton has in mind.

Koba

I agree and am also curious of Ton`s opinion. I do not suppose there have been done any deep work with respect to possible UI redesign for 2.5. So these brilliant icons should be number candidate one to be adopted;) And I cannot omit to repeat it once more these ones are really more helpful for new users.

HereĀ“s a recent Windows Build from yesterday with brokens iconset patchā€¦:

http://www.bestnetz.de/~oarnold/blender-cvs-windows.zip

(btw. iĀ“ve some iconsets included, just create a new theme in the InfoButttons and select them, you can put som more iconsets to the $HOME/.blender/.blender/icons folder if you want, e.g. this beautyfull set meantioned in this thread).

Merry Christmas, Olaf.

for sculpt I just made a cube that had been sculpted on and smoothed, it looks pretty good for the other theme that got regognition on this site, but I donā€™t think it would look that great with this one (the cube is a blueish purple color)

thank you for the build olaf, much appreciated.

and jendrzych, keep going, that update looks great :cool:

Totally agree!

jendrzychā€™s icon set with the grey-black/orange color scheme and shaded button style looks and feels extremely cool and slick; I am using it right now.

The set does have some missing icons, I suppose that would need to be rectified before including it in an official release.

I would cream my pants though if the completed version ended up in the next release :wink:

Will this patch be in the final release?

as far as i know it seems to be in it already.

For whatever itā€™s worth, I think these icons are cool, but there should at least be an option of having colorized icons. The shapes are nice, but for that extra dab of usability they should be different colors to make them easier to identify at a glance. Ideally they should be the same colors as the old ones in order to not confuse long-time users. Cool though they are, we should at least have an option of seeing them in color.

1 Like

Excellent icons. Much more logical than Blenderā€™s default ones. My only disappointment is that some extra thought could have been spent on the manipulator icons. They still look like theyā€™re used to create primitives :-/

I agree with Bellorum. Pictograms for manipulators should be more evident. If I remeber there was original version of Jedrzych which was in my opinion better and more clear than this later one.

well i think there is a safe middleground.

Triangle with a slight ā€œarrowā€ to it.
Square with with a smaller square in it (looking a bit like motion blur)
Circle more of a ring with a gap between.

Uhmā€¦ okayā€¦ now thatā€™s a silly comment :smiley:

Long-time Blender users donā€™t get confused by icons with different colorsā€¦ they already know what each button does anyway. Thatā€™s what theyā€™re long-time users for, right?

Just to proof my point, I made you a special icon set. Give it a try, itā€™s quite refreshing :stuck_out_tongue:

(oh crap, I left the underlying layer enabled and Iā€™ve deleted the psd file alreadyā€¦ oh well)

to proof your point?

What is Tonā€™s decision?

Hey there,

These icons are looking great! Iā€™d love to see these worked on a bit further for the release after 2.43. I started a wiki page with some thoughts on blender icons, but I havenā€™t been able to do much recently since Iā€™ve had internet problems and have been disconnected (posting from a net cafe).

http://mediawiki.blender.org/index.php/BlenderDev/IconRedesign

One thing Iā€™d like to see is more about establishing a visual language through colour - i.e. see that wiki page where I mention Modo with different colour hints for selection, editing, adding, etc.

Btw, Iā€™m also ready to commit that patch, I was going to do it right before my internet cut out, so itā€™s just waiting until I get connected againā€¦

cheers

I thought I would just chip in and say that while I welcome a spruce up of the icons I really find these to lack clarity mainly due to a lack of contrast and colours but also some are imho just too small to show detail properly.
I would like someone to do an icon set for people who like myself donā€™t have the greatest eyesight. I think there is a trap here in trying to be too arty or systematicā€¦sort of leads you to having to use tooltips just to remind you what you are looking at :slight_smile:

Yes Yes Yes, I would also say that the UI in general should have a uniform color scheme availiable also, so Icon color matches Windows Color right down the line.
It would give Blender a great look and intuitive interface by color also.
This would look great if done consistantly throughout the program.
Maybe a Color Theme Script bundled to match the Icons.:slight_smile:

Thanks, M.A.

Did small update again - check first post for details.

REGARDING TO COLORIZED VERSION REQUESTS AND OTHER COMPLAINS.
I made this set just because didnā€™t like those that are currently available. Didnā€™t expect such community response, so Iā€™m suprisedā€¦ Itā€™s my gift for community without an obligation of use. Would love to make it perfect for everyone but have to sleep some times (right now Im working a lot and my socks are already offā€¦)

On this stage I donā€™t care colors. Itā€™s really easy to change it any time since matrix is made with vectors (great Inkscape) if there will be any concrete ideas about color use. Here I should address to Broken: have You done any research on this? Donā€™t want to double someones workā€¦ Maybe could help with sth.?

Well, so far I like it the way it is right now, but Iā€™m still open for suggestions (hundreds of heads is more than tired one :wink: )
Therefore I have a homework for all of You: Three complementary icons: Armature, Pose Mode and Bonesā€¦ Actually Bones are obvious but the restā€¦? Idea market is open now. Just remember, I can manage only with space 14/14pixā€¦

P.S.
HEY DEVELOPERS! (Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s right place for my complainsā€¦)
During work I found some annoying bits:

• Developers used to credit a special icon to functions that donā€™t have yet their own pictograms. In Blender for such purposes a picture of fat black dot is used. Unfortunately itā€™s credited to ā€œPaint only alphaā€ too (UV/Image editor) whatā€™s confusing. I designed special icon for this purpose but so far it canā€™t be used.
  • Some icons are hardcoded, I mean, one canā€™t change them using new feature provided with Brokenā€™s patch ā€“ especially two pictures on buttons enabling visibility of Modifier when 3D view is in Interactive Mode or Edit Mode (check Mesh Modifiers Panel).
  • Some of icons are scaled down to fit space provided by developers ant that causes their blurriness . Regarding to the facts that theyā€™re usually very small (few pixels by few pixels) and that they ought to be crystal clear, thereā€™s real need to make special extra small icons of some functions designed pixel by pixel instead of reusing bigger ones (check Lock symbol in Transform Properties floating panel for ex.). Another problem is with icons that are scalable with interface elements (some of them can be found in Buttons window) ā€“ itā€™s really hard to design clear descriptive ones that handle well scaling down and upā€¦ Maybe they should have const. Size all the time?
  • Some of icons or just ā€œmeaningsā€ are unnecessarily doubled, tripled, multiplied (symbol of an Image or just Image Preview in various situations; a Lock for locking 3D view and Drawing Pin for locking IPO curves in IPO Editor windowā€¦). They could be reduced making room for new ones.

hi jend

nice work, the look good. i do not think the radiosity icon works.
i see you talk about color bleeding but for that the lack of enough
color information makes it hard to read. the cornell box seems to
the best way to go.

looking forward to see the finished set of icons.