Jesus wasn't born on Christmas!

Just like white europeans, the american suburbs, the “hacker culture” and just about any other stereotype, emo is as conformist as they get.

They all look alike to me.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve nothing against any of the groups I mentioned. But somewhere deep in every ugly stereotype is a grain of truth. Every once in a while, you get a pearl.

I take that back…most of the time you get a huge rock.

OH and where did this whole “emo” thing come from anyway?..We were talking about Santa, and before that Jesus.

Haddon Sundblom, the american artist who did the Coke Santa (and the Quaker Oats guy) was from a Russian-Swedish family. Santa must have always looked like that to him. For a lot of folks in central Europe, Father Frost, Father Christmas, Sinterklaas and Saint-Nicholas, it must have all been integrated into one character a long time ago. Haddon Sundblom’s best work was his pin-up stuff anyway. I just love 50’s and 60’s pin-up drawings.

Sounds like a natural progression to me. It’s all popular culture… Hahaha…

C’mon, now Dittohead… fess up! You were proposed to again, weren’t you! Now don’t be modest! (you big hunk, you!) :stuck_out_tongue:

Bussman: eh, she’s cute n all, but I prefer Vargas’ Girls.

And just to disillusion you some more, his name wasn’t even really Jesus.

I have a few points to make on this whole subject:

1. Nowhere in Scripture are we commanded to celebrate Christmas. So any Celebration we do is on our own.

2. We really don’t know what time of the year Jesus was born.

3. Jesus was born somewhere in 33BC-2AD, and died 33 years later.

4. The wise men, were probably not just three, and they came to visit upto 2 years after Jesus was born.

My pastor actualy preached a sermon on Christmas recently, what I found interesting what how he basicly called all Christians “out on the carpet” for idolitry at Christmas time. As much as we don’t want to admit it, allot of our traditions at Christmas are more important to us than Christ.

Here in America thousands of churches are closing of their doors this sunday because Christmas is on Sunday. That really does not make me happy. They are following a tradition that is not commanded in scripture (Christmas) and at the same time thowing out a tradition that is commanded (the assembling of the brethern). True, we are not commanded to gather only on Sunday, but still, somthing does not seem right here…

Lol the sabbath is’nt even on Sunday :smiley: . It’s actually Saturday. Do you know what idolitry is? Idolitry is putting somthing before God so if you make Jesus the reason for the season, then it is’nt idolitry, it’s tribute. n the subject of such, if we shoud’nt celebrate Christmas, should’nt we do away with birthdays as well? Or Easter (or should I say Ishtar?)? What satan has uses for evil, God can turn it around and use it for good :smiley:
Peace,
Jimmy

Putting presents before god is more like it.

First, His name is not Jesus at all. His name is Yeshua, which properly translated elsewhere is Joshua. They called Him Yeshua ben Yosef in His village, which has significant Talmudic meaning.

A superficial knolwedge of the Hebrew roots of our faith can pinpoint Yeshua’s birthdate through New Testament facts.

#1. John (Yohann) the Baptist was six months older than Yeshua Mashiach.

#2. John’s father was of the priestly class of a certain order which served during a certain time of the year.

#3. Miriam’s (Mary’s) visit to Yohann’s mother sets a time.

You guys do the math and tell me what you come up with.

His real name was Emanuel Joshua Ben Yozef. But that is just New Testament stuff. Common belief among scholars is that Jozef never existed and he was only intruduced in the New Testament to tie Jesus to the bloodline of David. In 2 Gospels he has a different family tree.

Some belief that he is the son of the Roman soldier Pantera, thus his full name is Emanuel Yoshua Ben Pantera. And that could be also an explenation why he has a kind of affectionless relationship with his mother and the ficticious Josef.

"Some belief "

“Some belief” many things about Him. I believe He is Mashiach.

Heheh… sorry, pardon me for not getting into the right spirit of this, but…

I know a Portuguese fellow named Jesus who WAS born on December 25th… he’s gay, and his boyfriend is called Emanuel. 3 guesses as to what their bumper sticker says.

You guys are forgeting the most important point of all, this Jesus guy changed the world for the better. Sure you’re right, maybe he wasn’t born on Christmas day and maybe his real name wasn’t Jesus. But what you can’t deny is that this simple Jewish Carpenter’s son went on to change the world!

This guy Jesus introduced the concept of a forgiving God, which was unhear of at the time. Back then the Gods were mean and fickle, just look at the Greek gods.

And also Jesus died for our sins, sure that doesn’t mean anything to us now, but back then human sacrifice to the pagan gods was a very common practice. Just look at all sacrificed bog bodies Archaeologists are digging up all over Europe today. So this guy Jesus was a real revolutionary, he made human and animal sacrifice obsolete.

Without Jesus we wouldn’t have the prosperous science and civilization we have today. If you remember the church had a big hand to play in early science. And even today the church influenced the medical ethical standards we have today.

And lets face it, Christianity has been the standard bearer with which other civilizations measure themselves by. As Christianity has spread so have Christian values of fairness. If it wasn’t for Christianity the Aztecs would still be sacrificing people and if it wasn’t for Dutch Christians the Indonesian Batak would still be eating people to this very day.

So for all Christianities flaws, it’s good points still outwieght it’s bad points. and for that we have to thank that poor Jew who died on the cross for us. Merry Christmas.

:smiley:

Are you serious? Spell idolatry right lol. Also the reason why Christians celebrate the Sabbath on Sunday is because thats when Jesus arose. Saturday was the original Sabbath until Jesus came. Outside of that I agree with everything else :smiley:

But I’m not in a debating mood.

There’s a lot that we don’t know about this fellow. Of all of the figures of history in-and-about this time and place, there is precious little written about “Jesus of Nazareth” (call him what you will), period. We know that there were more books, and that many of them were burned as “heretical.” There are a few more purported gospels that did not make the New Testament canon, but even with these additions none of them (canonical or not) paint an absolutely clear picture. Books such as The Quest for the Historical Jesus are a fascinating read.

The Christmas festival, as we all know, coincides with the Winter Solstice and many of its traditions incorporate – or were imposed over and were made by-law to “supersede” – pagan festivals of much older lineage. In both the Christian tradition and in many others, the birth of the new solar year was often linked with the birth of a god. The Christian celebration of the death of that same god also coincides with another solar festival – which is why Easter is celebrated at a different time each year.

So… what do we do now? Do we throw down these two intellectual face-cards, declare the whole Christmas thing to be “trumped,” and sweep the whole thing off the table? Hardly. Religion is an intensely personal thing, and it exists quite happily at some point a little bit beyond where our intellect ends. Maybe we should keep it that way. People hear “still, small voices” and choose to listen to them. Maybe these faithful people know something, in their hearts, that our intellect does not.

Merry Christmas.

I am a Christian and I acknowledge the seventh day as the shabbat day. I am not a Seventh Day Adventist though.

Been there, done that. In this very thread, as a matter of fact.

I have always been taught that we celebrate the Sabbath because God created the heavens on the earth Monday through Saturday and then took a day of rest on Sunday.

Shabbat = Saturday, actually. Sunday as the day of repose comes from the same source that instated Dec 25th (birth of the sun god) as the Christmas day. Consantine was a worshipper of Sol Invictus and only claimed to convert to Christianity very late in his life.

I think that the sunday is the sabbat because of that first the weeks started on sundays but later the order of days got changed now the weeks start on monday and the 7th day is sunday.