Judy Hopps (with blend)

Unfortunately, it’s quite common among many websites for its members to pull crap on almost every popular character in existence (and this site, believe it or not, can actually be seen as pretty clean by those fairly low standards). DeviantArt for instance has the resources they need to become a great art site if only the moderators did a better job.

A number of those same sites are also known for having a fairly low level of intelligence in day to day discussion, best to not take part in them if you care about your IQ.

Personally, I would respect the character and keep her in appeal to the same audience that Zootopia aimed for (though it is true that you technically can’t take legal action against any use of such characters that is non-commercial in nature).

On topic, as for the idea of having Judy Hopps in live interaction with real people, it does seem kind of jarring to see her at the same size as a human (the lighting also doesn’t seem to bring out the ears as well as in the initial image).

Same.
Unless its intended for a certain character to do something I feel its wrong to… basically warp the character out of shape.
But people will do it anyway. Though it would happen a lot sooner and/or a lot more of it if the resources were all readily available (hence my first post. If I’d make a character from something popular, especially if it’s anime or furry, I wouldn’t make it so easily accessible).

First of, I love the model and I love the rigg because it’s very clean and your toolbar rigging
menu is very handy. I was working on a model of Judys head myself, even though it looks extremly
cute it is not as show accurate as yours. I love what you did with the hair shader, I tried using a
version with transparency but the rendertimes are frustrating.
It would be awesome if you could tell me how you learned rigging because I’m only capable of using
rigify for characters and I really like your setup a lot.
And at last some suggestions on how to improve your facial rigg even more. The eyebrows need to be
a bit more flexible for some expressions (I countered pinching geometry with shapekeys to get what I was
looking for). Also the mouth could use two more controls for the lower lip (the upper one has 3 the lower lip
only one and for some shapes thats not enough.
But once again thank you very much for this awesome model.

Attachments

3 Likes

Beautiful work, thank You so much for sharing!

Lovely model and rig. I’m going to animate something for a seven year olds birthday I think.

You did an exceptional job of capturing this character’s all-important personality.

And, as far as “copyright notice” goes, heck, I think it’s a healthy cross between “cover your a*s from any Mouse Lawyers,” and, well, “professional courtesy.” Maybe just so any Mouse-goon won’t think that you actually filched one of their digital assets :wink: in order to create this outstanding version of it.

Sundialsvc4; I really don’t think Disney is going to go after what is essentially one of many thousands of pieces of non-commercial fanart derived from every major IP to ever hit theaters (well, most companies allow it anyway).

Take art derived from The Hobbit trilogy for instance, there’s already more images out there of Azog than can be counted (yet I have not heard of a single lawsuit from Legendary Pictures).

At first I didn’t think there was a rig for the mouth but later I found it. This was my reaction when I did.

Attachments

1 Like

Hmmm…If we can get of the soap box and back on track…

Very nice model and your rigging is great! It’s not often that I see a rig done at a professional level. Five stars!

Thanx for sharing this beautiful model. I’m moving first step into blender rigging and this model is a great school!
I’m eager to show you my first pose

Attachments

2 Likes

I like that pose. Looks like a little wind.

Great work! I haven’t seen the movie yet but your character has a Disney feel to it.
I tried the rig and even tho I don’t rig much myself, it seemed really intuitive.

Good,but I prefered Bugs Bunny and his girlfriend in Space Jam.

This is really nice and cute!

Ralphi, your pose is gorgeous.

I know most artists think that there is an exemption for them in the eyes of the law due to their artistic freedom. But something to keep in mind that yes, fans and would be professional artists are given some leeway when it comes to reproducing well known characters, But that is more an extended courtesy from the copyright holders then an actual protected right under the law.

Great work though.

That man is a BOSS! Nice video

Thanks for the video @joseph_raccoon he says that if your fanart is done so well it looks like the original, you have a potential trademark issue. That’s not surprising but also not reassuring, especially with Disney.
At

he talks about this “bullshit story” where Disney shut down a school library for painting Mickey Mouse on the wall and then says it actually happened. Apparently it did in 3 daycare centers.
I don’t know if that’s relevant or not but from what I know of Disney, they may not be the most acceptive in terms of copyright/trademark infringement when the art is resembling the original too much.

If you do something with a character so nasty that people just know it can’t be made by the owners, I think you potentially have less trouble than if it looks legit but modifies the image/personality of the character in a way that doesn’t please the owners.

As for you @Splatypi sharing the model, I don’t think you can get any trouble if you’re not the one modifying the character’s personality or situation. The “I’m showing and sharing my love for the character” excuse should be enough (as well as the “non commercial use” excuse). However, shouldn’t you put a CC NC license on your blendswap to protect yourself from “commercial use” issues ?
I’m trying to figure these laws out so what do you think Judy Hopps ?

edit : My bad, I didn’t see that the “fan art” attribution automatically forbids commercial purpose.

Really interesting story indeed… i believe they can make trouble whenever they want, at least that was the point i got.

I do find it sad they did make a problem in a day care, common man wtf

Sometimes I think artists use the wrong answers rather then ask the right questions.
One such question is this: Do I want to be on the to-do list of a 10 Million Dollar a year legal team?