Looking for feedback on this tail overlap animation exercise

Hi guys. I’m a beginner animator and looking for any feedback on this tail overlap exercise. Thanks.

You’re video is not working. On my desktop pc, I watched the ba animated logo for 2 minutes. On my phone, the video plays, but I only see 3 dots at the top of the video.

Try encoding to something different, I use mpeg4.

Randy

1 Like

Looks fine except when the character stops and looks up at the wall, I think its tail should continue to wave, perhaps even a bit faster there as an anticipation of the jump…

Hi. The video is already encoded to mpeg4 format. Try checking it out with this link - https://streamable.com/6eqk7m

Thanks.

Thanks very much for your feedback. Will definitely add that in my next exercise.

1 Like

Wow. First, the embedded video doesn’t work, then you apparently deleted(!) your link? I guess you only wanted one feedback, mmm?

Hey everyone, if a video (from anywhere on the www) doesn’t play in your browser, first consider testing the link in a different browser. Bboy’s video was showing the same problems as some of you were describing when I attempted to play inside Firefox, but loaded right up and played without issue inside Brave.

This problem is becoming commonplace in the www arena so why not try solving the issue on your own end first before levying accusations of potential sloppiness against the post’s author?

Bboy, this is a nice start but can be made better.

The “sphere” is frozen through most frames except for the hopping and jumping/landing. There should be some very slight rolling forward/backward as if the creature were studying and anticipating the jump. This could involve some very slight hops in place (like a puppy) where it barely jumps up and pivots in the air before landing and continuing to analyze the wall. There should be some very clear antic/rolling back and some very slight squash down before the first hop starting around frame 125. It looks like the sphere freezes in the squash pose frames 119-122 with the tail popping at frame 123; not good. The frozen posing really pops out as “something’s not correct…” Like everywhere else, the sphere needs some squash-stretch for the small-jump launch starting at frame 125. And the tail should be clearly overlapping behind the sphere as it gets airborne; current frame 125 shows the tail as following along but frozen in place during the first frame of leaving the ground; not good. The tail isn’t clearly using an overlapping motion upon landing at frame 132; add more overlap on the tail to make it clear it’s following behind the sphere. And the tail should use some overlap and settling 133-146. The frozen tail repeats again frames 138-149; the tail should be far more fluid for the entire sequence. Revise the tail shape around frame 155 to make it appear as more of an appendage bracing against the antic/roll-back pose at frame 154. Add more overlap on the tail during the sphere roll-forward starting at frame 167. The tail should not be frozen here (or just about anywhere else). The sphere is frozen frames 181-193; not good. And the first frame out of the antic/squash down (frame 194) can probably show the ball already separated from the ground by maybe a half-ball-height along with some stretch. The tail should be clearly following/trailing behind during the leap up (frames 195-206) but current version shows it half-frozen; not good. The sphere should reach the apex and slowly rotate forward and face down while the tail follows along in clear overlapping fashion. And the sphere should probably rotate and face down through the fall but clearly rotate up slightly at the end of the fall before the butt-landing. The impact at frame 226 can probably use a pop from a slightly stretched shape at frame 225 into a slight squashed shape at frame 226; we don’t need to see all of the mechanics of transitioning from a stretch to a squash. The landing at frame 256 can probably use ANOTHER small hop up and landing of only a fifth or eighth of the sphere height after it plants the landing and settles. Try to keep “life” in the ball with some squash/stretch during the plant and settle and also elaborate and clarify the overlap in the tail during this section. It’s a good exercise and you are off to a strong start. Go through again with another round for a better polish. Good luck.

Hey, the embedded video works for some people but not others. Its just a basic mp4 video. I don’t know why that’s happening. Secondly, streamable links expire after two days.

I am a beginner looking for all feedbacks. I have no reason whatsoever to only get one feedback. That doesn’t help me in anyway to improve.

Here’s another streamable link for the video - https://streamable.com/gg6kb2

That link also expires after two days.

Thanks.

Thank you so much for this detailed feedback. This is exactly what I’ve been looking for. Will definitely go through this exercise again with all the notes you provided. Thanks once again.

This is another of my overlap exercise.

The other thread was merged into this original thread since there was no reason to ask for feedback for the same thing in 2 separate threads…