Low-poly

Nice style, I like the low poly look, and the grainyness you get with Cycles would actually work for a change with this style :wink:

You might want to check out my tutorial here:

which is based on Issac Botkin’s “Painting with polygons” siggraph 2010 presentation.

Many thanks for the compliments everyone, much appreciated. Nodelete, interesting tutorial, thanks for the tip.

I’ve collected a bunch of grunge textures in the course of time, which I layer on top of the render with different modes, such as Multiply and Soft Light. Just do a Google search for “free grunge textures” and you’ll find a lot of them.

great works, really inspiring!
which rendering engine did you use?

It’s too realistic, I want to see a wireframe! :wink:

Nice style.

:smiley: Thanks!

Thanks! I used Blender Internal. For these kinds of NPR renders BI offers more customization options.

Seven,

Is it possible you can show a simple workflow as to how u go about achieving this look? I am really interested in using it for my children’s book am illustrating.

Great style you are developing there!

Thanks a lot, Pokestuff, great to get a compliment from someone whose work I admire.

DarkLimit, I haven’t got a microphone and I’m not much of a tutorial creator, but I can give you some pointers:

• First of all, always remember to ‘KISS’ (Keep It Simple, Stupid!). :slight_smile: Don’t use intricate shapes, but as little polygons as possible. Play with simple geometric shapes and use those shapes to stylize your depicted subjects as much as possible.

• Be sure to use a lot of ambient / environment / reflected light to avoid black shadows. I often also use a little bit of Emit value in the material to achieve this.

• Establish a good image composition in an early stage, so you don’t have to create more than is visible in your camera view, unless you’re planning to animate.

• Post-process until you drop using Photoshop or Gimp. It can make a world of difference for the final result.

• Last but not least: for more satisfaction, try to avoid imitation as much as possible. Give it your own personal twist as much as your creativity allows you to.

Good luck.

Cheers,

Metin

Thanks Seven, I was not expecting you to do a tut, I appreciate the insight.

What kind of post pro do you do in PS/GIMP that you can’t do in Blender’s compositor?

DarkLimit, you’re welcome. One more advice (also added to the earlier tips), for more satisfaction: try to avoid imitation as much as possible. Give it your own personal twist as much as your creativity allows you to.

3pointEdit: I guess you could do most post-production in Blender Compositor, but I also fiddle around with specific Photoshop functions such as HDR Toning.

Here’s my latest low-poly image, a tribute to Batman. Hope you like it.

Attachments

Being a fan of the low poly style, I love your work. The light house with a twist was killer.

Many thanks, much appreciated!

Here’s my latest image: ‘Hope’.

Attachments

I love your style, the mix between planar-low-poly objects and the dirty texture is great, and the desaturated final images are very cool. I would like watch the first scenes with a early animation.

Thank you very much. Maybe I’ll create an animation in this style in the near future, but I prefer the frozen moments in time of single images.

Love these! Awesome work!

You have a refreshing style. I was wondering where you get your ideas? I like how you ‘think outside the box’ and show how Blender can be used for creative styles other than realism. Keep up the good work!

Thanks a lot guys!

Zonkerzebra: my workflow is usually…

1: Think of a theme / setting (space, sea, etc.).
2: Imagine a concept, preferably with an added twist to surprise the viewer.
3: Never forget to ‘KISS’ during the execution (Keep It Simple, Stupid!), otherwise you’re at risk of getting lost in tedious, distracting details.
4: Add a layer of magic with post-production.

Cheerio,

M7