LuxRender v0.5 Released.

Hey,

you can either configure the number of threads to use when starting lux in the system panel of the luxblend exporter (in blender), and it will be stored between sessions.
or add / remove threads on the fly in the lux gui itself… (these aren’t stored though, just meant to change cpu usage when you’re working…)

Radiance

Hey,

the exporter supports exporting animation yes, and lux has some animation presets too.
we’re working on making this functionality more complete for the next release though.

hair and particles aren’t supported yet. however you can freeze them in blender and export them as meshes.
should’nt be too much work to add this functionality to the exporter soon.

Radiance

hey,

i suggest you register on the luxrender forums and post an issue in the user support forum, with some screenshots attached, there’s quite a bit of people hanging around which can help with it (i’ve no mac myself…)

Radiance

hey,

we have added the volume integration code so SSS is’nt far off.
we need to wait a bit longer for our bidirectional path tracing to settle %100 before we can integrate SSS…

I think it should’nt take longer than 2 months before this gets added though…

Radiance

Keep up at this rate and you’ll catch up to Indigo in no-time! :wink: Motion blur would be a nice thing to have eventually as well, especially rotational blur.

Lord

I see it the same way - while Ono hammers new features into Indigo, maybe with the new position and support Radiance can focus on more workpower. In particular because they are looking into animation rendering setups which would be very interesting for us.

With time it seems illumination works out better but the basic object is already good
after 40 minutes. With a noise reduction and level correction that image could be touched up. However in the right onw\e colors are better, more brilliant - the left one is slightly greyish.

EDIT: man to many spelling errors …

http://www.jrkuhnen.de//fip2/blender/problems/better.jpg

Hey,

the exporter supports exporting animation yes, and lux has some animation presets too.
we’re working on making this functionality more complete for the next release though.

hair and particles aren’t supported yet. however you can freeze them in blender and export them as meshes.
should’nt be too much work to add this functionality to the exporter soon.

Radiance
Amazing ! :cool: . Really interesting… Yep, I guess one always could bake whatever to meshes… I’m all about animation, and having as well the alternative is really great :slight_smile:

nice test renders, btw

(not that I have the machine to use practically a renderer like this to render animation, but I guess intermediate experiments using a mix of low quality settings could be interesting to make… )

Extrudeface

thx those were just some 5 minute modeling and displacement tests.
Lux seems to perform great.

Hi
My host got´s a bit muddled, sorry for confusion. ( night had been loooong :rolleyes::rolleyes:)

The correct link is: http://www.jensverwiebe.de/Jens%20Verwiebe/temp/Lux-0-5-OSXintel.zip

This contains luxrender.app, luxconsole, exporter 0.5 and cmakelist for building on OSX
Needs no extra installs, just put luxrender.app to applications, luxconsole to /usr/local/bin,
exporter to python-scripts-folder, voila…

Be sure to visit the luxrender-forum for help/info:http://www.luxrender.net/forum/frameset.html

Jens

Hi all,

An updated package for mac os X is now available on our download page:

http://www.luxrender.net/wiki/index.php/LuxRender_v0.5_Release#MacOS_X

greetz,
Radiance

renders pretty fast and Lux works fine on OS X

macbookpro core 2 duo
latest os x
Lux/Blend 0.5

But also under OS X does my blend test file crash Blender when quitting Blender.

Hey,

We have noticed this too, however it does’nt interfere with working.
After reporting it on #blendercoders, campbell barton found a bug in the bpython api which is now fixed in blender cvs, so next blender version should not behave like this anymore…

greetz,
Radiance

hey ok

Jens mentioned quitting the exporter first is enough to prevent Blender from crashing.

I just tried it out and its now blindingly fast (in comparison with before! :D). Do you guys know when you will fully support (as in Luxrender automatically accepts) the procedural textures from Blender?

Very impressed! Thank you very much. The only thing I’ve found with the latest version is that it seems to turn out very dark renders.

tea monster

they already support blender internal textures, or are you not talking about the procedural but the channels?!

I’ve done a quick test scene and I’ve put some proceedural textures in. I bring it into Luxrender and I’m presented with a blank white mesh. From what I’ve seen you can enable blender procedurals, but you have to set them back up in Luxrender, it doesn’t take it over naturally.

I have an AMD 64x2 4000+ system dualbooted with Vista 32 bit and Ubuntu 64 bit and I’m getting faster render times in Vista.

Does anyone else who has a similar setup get the same results?

Ah that you mean !

Ok yes it does not take it form Blender - bt it has blenders procedural textures on it’s own.

I mentioned to Radiacne that it might be wise to have Lux also take/import Blenders texture setting because this way for size etc. you can quickly setup the procedural values, render it with the preview tool, and when done send it to Lux for final high quality rendering.

I have to say I am very happy to see how Lux evolves - also the speed.
Speed is the main concern for me - because I found people here more concerend about getting it done than getting it done with quality.

And with the new speed increase it is a great tool.

I played around with an older build of Lux before but because my current pc is a laptop the slowness of it all just killed it for me but with the mentioned speed increases i should play around with this a bit.

I was thinking it was getting to the point where I could comfortably say goodbye to Indigo. If it directly handed off the procedurals textures, it would be as we say here “a no-brainer” (no contest!). As it is, I still think this going to be the way to go as it now has the NK mats and other wonderful goodness built in.

And the speed.

The speed!

I’ve also noticed that they have a few biased rendering solutions in with the non-biased included a few simple preview renders. It looks very good indeed!