Masonry wizard, (walls, castles, etc)

Wow lokidg! That looks really professional! Great job; I’m impressed. Thanks for working up that tutorial too.

Sweet looking! Once I can get through this stupid blocker, I will be sure to try it out! Thanks a lot!

can u please tell me how this works? im not good with scripting yet.
Thanks!

Mr. Gosh: Wow, that is a sweet effect! The most straightforward way I can think of is making each block its own object (I can send you a modified version of the script that does this). Put the walls all in place and add a keyframe at the end of the animation. Then add a keyframe with them moved down (down and sideways from what I can tell of the movie). Finally (the messy sad hard part that should be scriptable but I don’t know how) add a time offset to the IPO curve for each block so that instead of it all jumping up at once it jumps up in waves. Perhaps a position script based on the relative location of a dummy object would work. Either way it would be a lot of work, hence a while 'til it is done. I’d try SHABA1’s suggestion first.
I’ve been meaning to get back to work on this script, and will probably have some time soon. I’ll keep the wall-build idea in mind when I start coding again.

Hey,

I found a very good working script for Maya.

Probably it is a way to extend your script:

http://highend3d.com/maya/downloads/mel_scripts/dynamics/4845.html

What do you think…? :ba:

The fix in Maya seems to be based on particles, which could work if the bricks were dupliverted to an object. I’ll see if I can make that work in Blender.

By the way, the next version of the script is being coded right now. I don’t want to promise too much, but it has enhanced functionality on all fronts! Now is the time for feature requests. currently I’m planning to add:

• arches (of various types)
  • circular stonework and domes (also used internally for making arches)
  • multiple interlocking wall creation (one on each edge of a mesh for rapid creation)
  • save-able settings, especially for sequential interlocking walls
  • a more robust interface (both in the GUI and for other scripts to interface with AutoMasonry)
  • object sensing for automatic window and door placement.Let me know what else you’d like to see.

I would like to see the auto build of the wall like in the video.
Even something as simple as all bricks start at 0,0,0 at frame 0 then move to a specified keyframe (like 250) and set their final position.

I’ve been playing around with this in the latest SVN. It’s really amazing! I’m hoping that someday we can see tools like this with real time parameter tweaking in the viewport (same with primitives).

I would like to make a suggestion. It would be great to have the option to specify dimensions for border stones (top and bottom rows). As it is, you can get a thin (or thick) top or bottom border row but only by accident it seems. Maybe it’s there and I’m not seeing it.

Anyway, great job! This is a fantastic addition to the Blender scripts arsenal. =D

Oh one more thing, a size jitter (and/or position jitter) might be nice to break up those even rows a little, for things like cobbled paths.

http://blenderunderground.com/forums/images/misc/masonry_path.jpg

This path has subsurf and displace applied, but it’s still pretty uniform in the rows department. Even still, a fantastic result by letting the script do most of the work.

Thanks again! :eyebrowlift:

Perhaps there should be a possibility to create 4 or 6 different stones which are used than for the sript. So I can model the diferent Stones an so the shape of the wall…

Also would be a button nice that makes all bricks individual - for later physics animation…

And than the above mentioned additon for wall aniamtion.

Just got the radial stonework code working. Here’s a sample.
http://www.peripheralarbor.com/gallery/d/3222-2/masonry01.jpg

As far as features suggestions go:
Animation: Yes! There will be some kind of animation aid. I’m leaning toward linked pycode with target objects.
Border stones: Yes! I’ve already implemented it in the new code.
Uneven rows: Yes! It will probably be called “grout variation”, but I can also add extra row variation on top of it.
Physics: Yes! I’m planning on a panel for adding physics so you can knock the walls down.
Cloned blocks: Maybe. Using cloned blocks would probably disable arches, but it could very well be done. I’ll do my best to include custom cloned blocks.

Right now I’m slogging through the edge detection and block forming for the angled edges of arces. It may be a while at this rate… Keep those suggestions coming!

EDIT:
Just found out that SourceForge has accepted the project! I’ll be migrating most of the operations over there, though I’ll still keep up-to-date on this thread too.

Made a movie of a wall getting destroyed. The automatic physics setup wasn’t as hard as I had feared. Still plugging away on the other features.

EDIT: LATEST NEWS:
No progress since the 29th of Jan. I’ve been working on stuff for Project London and some other projects I’m involved with. This isn’t going away, but I am on a short break, waiting for code inspiration.

That looks sensational! =D

Can`t get the video to play :frowning:
But sounds promising

Awesome video!
Keep up the good work!
m.a.

Edge forming is finally usable, so the wall will fit to the arches. Not perfect, but close enough for now. Working on keystones and such at this point, so that pointed arches can be implemented.
http://www.peripheralarbor.com/gallery/d/3228-2/wallarches.jpg

This may be a minor point, but something you overlooked. Is the NEWEST version with the NEWEST features that you talk about here in the thread, located at the original link you gave on the first post OR is it located on the sourceforge download page OR are they not implemented yet and you are just giving us updates on things to come?

Sorry for not clarifying. These are updates on things to come. There is currently no new “release” since 2007/09/14. The version linked from this thread and the version under the ‘download’ tab on SourceForge are the same thing, namely the old V0.1 script.
However! If you want the latest code (and are willing to punch numbers into the text editor) you can get it via the menu tab “CODE>>SVN Browse” at SourceForge.net. click through to the latest revision (the file with the highest “Rev.” number) and select “(as text)” near the top of the page. The current development script has no GUI, but if you are feeling adventurous the code is moderately well documented, and you should be able to figure out how to generate walls (and probably errors too).
At the writing of this post, the NEWEST version is still on my computer at work, but I should be able to get it up to SourceForge this afternoon.
Enjoy!

Another feature teaser, domes! The openings (arches etc) are bugging on domes for some reason. Time to call it a night though. Latest version is on the SVN server.
http://www.peripheralarbor.com/gallery/d/3231-2/wall08_001.jpg

EDIT:
Just figured out that I can link directly to the code! Latest development version, w/ all the newest features

This script is really impressive. I read about it in the BlenderArt Magazine and have been following this thread ever since and you’ve made a lot of progress since then it looks like.

That said I have a few feature requests that would help me out a lot as well as improve the script:
Pyramid Structures -Not just basic pyramids but step pyramids, and other structures with angled pyramid-like walls such as ziggurats:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5a/SialkCAD.jpg
Customizable Stones -I think you’re already working on this, but basically the ability for the user to load in their own stone set.
And then I noticed you’ve got an option for automatic physics setup coded. It would be interesting to combine that with a rubble generation script or the Explode Modifier to make a more realistic explosion.

All of those things I suggested will immensely enhance the script, but also help my specific needs so I’ll be able to produce some nice demo pics/vids too.

Keep up the great work. It looks amazing so far.

I can’t figure out how to work it?

I have downloaded it and I run it and all it makes is a dome. That’s it?
When I tab into subobject mode, it is all one object, so I can’t use it in physics.

I create a bezier curve and select it and run the script and all I get is the dome. It does not follow the path.

Can anyone post some of their “settings” for the internal arrays? Maybe we can build up a library of things it can make.

Questions:
1.) How do I make it generate along the path?
2.) How do I get it to make individual blocks, not a single object?
A: The very last parameter of settings needs to be set to 1. (Hmm… so it won’t make a dome if physics is enabled, why?)

The pictures look amazing, but there is no usage or docs?