Materials Specials & conversion

I met some strange behaviour using this addon. I don’t know if it’s a bug or I’m just missing something obvious. Could anyone please reply to this thread

UPDATE: we’re not receiving any reply yet … The supposed bug is that the “Convert BI to Cycles” tool can’t read BI colors, it always generates white colors. At least it seems not working in 2.78c. Please read the thread above and let us know something. Anyone ?

UPDATE: never mind I found the reply/solution here https://developer.blender.org/T49845 … of course I disagree with Brendon in considering this an “expected behaviour” … this is nonsense. Many thanks to FRenzy_RA for letting us know how to modify the script.

Hello Meta-Androcto, thanks for the addon.
May I have a feature request?
I work with hundreds of materials and scrolling up and down is pretty time-consuming.

I have 2 suggestions:

1. Have a "search’ option. It could be implemented in 2 ways.

A.
Blender default what works for textures in UV/Image Editor or in Material Editor, what is simple works as starting to type the name part we are looking for (like if I start to type ‘Wo’ it automatically jumps to the first ‘Wood’ or ‘Worn’ name (depending on ABC).
I prefer this method

B. Having a search field on the top.

1. Multiple columns (to the right) of the material list, so scrolling is not necessary if it fits on the screen.
    If you need, I could make a draft for that.

What do you think? Is it possible? Thanks.

Page not found :frowning:

Yeah, just looknig for this myself.

Hi Meta-Androcto, I wish to know if you have closed these two repositories on GitHub because I can no longer sync them, getting a request to login:

https://github.com/meta-androcto/blenderpython279.git
https://github.com/meta-androcto/blenderpython.git

Thank you.

Page still not found :frowning:

hi, the addon is in Blender 2.79.
Sorry my repo’s are no longer active or available.

I wonder, how can one add the addon in Blender? What’s the addon name?

Sorry for the late reply. Since version 1.0.5 which is available in the daily builds, now Apply materials default is a pop up menu with search options and ordering of initial letters (just like in the UI list). Also the resizing will work now.
The three options in Add-on Preferences are Menu, Columns (menu with 20 items split for multiple columns) and the default which is a pop-up menu shown below. The same options are available for select by material name.
The icons for entries will also show the material state: from a library (linked) and is the fake user set, which can help with the overview of what is in the materials data.

Search for Materials Utils.
It’s available in 2.79a (version 1.0.3) and in the daily developer builds (version 1.0.5).

Had to change this post as I was having a difficult time getting this add-on to work but went back and carefully read the instructions at Wiki. I don’t think to many people know about this add-on. I was glad I found out about here. I tried using this for some simple models I saved from Daz as objects and then loaded them into Blender and by using this add-on converted the materials to cycles. Sometimes a few materials such as the hair needed fixing but overall this program saves allot of time. Thanks

Is anyone looking at updating this to 2.8?

Im tempted to have a look myself but not sure what features are redundant now and what is still needed with the 2.8 design.

Certainly directly applying materials, search and replace and copy materials to others…
and cleaning up material slots

Not sure if “convert to cycles” is still needed or if the texface stuff is deprecated.

hi, In the version here: https://developer.blender.org/diffusion/BAC/browse/master/materials_utils
I’ve removed the convertors, added class name registration. If you change the bl_info version to 2, 8, 0, you can activate the addon and start rebuilding I think. This has always been a very important addon and really does need an update. As your the original author, if you have time to do this it would be awesome. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great, thanks! Time is scarce but I’ll try and update it. It’s been a while :wink:

2 Likes

…here’s another supporter, really missing this in 2.8, saved my life a few times, and speeds up many of my main workflow tasks.

Yes please! I’m also a big fan of this addon I really hope you find the time to updated it.

hi, the updated version is in nightly builds testing section thanks @ChrisHinde

1 Like