Need to save the depth pass to a file (either text or binary)

This is a long project and I’m staying with 3.6.
I’ve read a lot of posts on the web on this subject and they are either really old or involve jumping through hoops.
I need to save the depth pass with float values to use as a data file elsewhere. Why is this so hard!?
Since I can’t seem to get the data from RenderResult, and using the Depth pass from the Compositor just seems to save to an 8-bit file, I am looking at other options. The simplest but most klunky is to load in an EXR and process that. Ive done that. (although not sure whether I need to use Multiview EXR)

However, I can’t figure out how parse the file further. I’ve tried to poke at it on the python console but it’s over my head.
I want to populate a single-dimension array with left-to-right/top-to-bottom order then just save to a file. Since I’ve yet to import anything to the destination (Godot), I don’t know what format will work best. But I need a starting point. I could use a text file, but a binary file would be a lot faster to load.
I’m not a great programmer so in-depth examples in C++ will just fly right over my head. I’m already using extensive scripts to do batch rendering and I would like to include a section that will save the depth file.