Open Courseware - Online Blender Class

The blackboard link works but the main link does not ??? weird

Hi Neal,

Thanks for creating all of your video tutorials and providing them to the Blender community! I discovered them about a month ago through Google and have gone through nearly all of them. They’ve formed the foundation of my Blender learning.

I second the STICKY nomination.

Service Unavailable - DNS failure
The server is temporarily unable to service your request. Please try again later.

Reference #11.13903554.1153189765.fb6d872

Service Unavailable - DNS failure
The server is temporarily unable to service your request. Please try again later.

Reference #11.13903554.1153189765.fb6d872
I have gotten a similar message a few times as well; however, most of the time, the link works. If it does not work, I just keep trying the link, and it will eventually load. The max amount of times I have “tried” at one time so far is about 4.

i just followed the links, and it works for me…

CKA

ps: i definitely agree – this should be a sticky. thanks, neal, for sharing!!!

this is great! i’ve had no problems with the link so far. i’m thrilled by how much material is here! thanks!! oh, i’m in the USA. and another vote for this becoming a Sticky.

I didn’t mention this earlier, but I agree with every one else. This site has a wealth of knowledge for Blender users. This is definitely Sticky material.

really nice, i just read the 1st yellow submarine, (really got lot of basic info for beginner) and step by step, i probably would continue to read till the end of the available pdf.

thumbs up for STICKY!!

man i wish that those vid tut have captions :frowning: Now I can’t study and follow the online class.

No sure I understand nerddragon - the videos do have audio

the videos do have audio

Problematic if you’re hearing impaired, I think is his point.

They look like very nice tuts (and other resources), though. Thanks!

Neal,

Your video tutorials are superb! They are concise, easy to follow, and technically well done (maybe you should do a tutorial on how to make a tutorial!). All newbies should start with these, then practice by building objects with your excellent pdf tutorials. Even experienced blender users will learn tid bits with these learning tools. Can we get you to produce some tutorials for more advanced/latest blender topics? Thanks again for your top-notch work.

Neal,Thank you very much for these tutorials.I was able to reach them through the blackboard site as the other link gave me a dns error.I’m from the Netherlands,don’t know if this has anything to do with the connection.
I think the tuts. are very well done,no erratic mouse movements and a very precise matter of explaining,alot of tutors could learn from you.
I haven’t been able to see all the vids. yet,is there away of saving them? the pdfs i have.
I would love to see more in the future,keep up the good work.

Jack

edit: i was able to get through with manually typing the url.

I agree… but hey, what do I know?

Anyways, looks awsome… currently checking out the Fire tut, looks very promising, thank you very much for showing this!

I also find the site really useful especially if you find you get stuck it really is a godsend.

thanks a lot for the tutorials!
the video tuts rock!just what i needed - short and informative.

If you are *nix user you can make all tutorials avalable offline with following bash script:

#!/bin/bash
#checking dependences
for d in wget awk sed xargs dos2unix 
do
    echo Checking $d ...
    if $d --version >/dev/null 2>&1
    then
    echo "    OK"
    else
    echo ERROR: Can\'t get $d!!!
    exit 1 
    fi
done
echo Checking mplayer ...
if mplayer >/dev/null 2>&1
then
    echo "    OK"
else
    echo ERROR: Can\'t get mplayer!!!
    exit 1 
fi

#storing pwd
oldwd=`pwd`
# making temp directory
mkdir tmp
cd tmp
# getting list of tutorials
wget http://ocw.tufts.edu/Content/28/supplementarymaterial/366743
# getting rm files
cat 366743 | grep http://media.ase.tufts.edu:8080/ramgen/DR21 | awk '{print $3}' | sed s/href=//g | xargs wget
# removing spaces from filenames
for f in *.rm
do
    ff=`echo $f | tr " " "_"`
    [ "$f" != "$ff" ] && mv "$f" $ff
done
# converting dos to unix
dos2unix *.rm
# dumping streams to hdd
for f in *.rm
do 
    url=`head -n 1 $f`
    mplayer $url -dumpfile ../$f -dumpstream
done
#going back
cd $oldwd

make some dir and save this code to getTutorials.sh, then run

# bash getTutorials.sh 

Neal,

I just want to first say excellent, excellent job on the tutorials. The video tutorials are very well done (short and to the point). I have not finished all of them yet, but they are a great way to learn a little when I catch a break here and there.

I’m not sure if this is just me, but last week I tried to access the text objects tutorial and it was missing. I tried again just now and it is still missing. Just thought I would bring it to your attention.

Being a former instructor myself, I realize the time and effort you have put into this project and I just want to say its appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff Porter

Neal, this is some great stuff! defenitly a sticky. This is how tutorials should be, short, about 1 subject and explaining ever step you do.

I am from the Netherlands and didn’t have any problems connecting. Tested from 2 computers:)

Except for 2 files. The SharkAnimation.zip doesn’t seem to exists and the Simple Materials link to the pdf is named wrong. Should be .pdf instead of /pdf? :wink:

But, no worries, i got my hand full on the rest of the tutorials :smiley:

Thanks for your generosity!!!

Thank you very much for the superb tutorials. Tons of help. Amazing. Just wanted to add that I am from Israel and the links work lovely.