Open Courseware - Online Blender Class

I got the link and tomorrow I will goto BroadBand Caffe and download…

Is Neal the author for the tutorials on Tufts website does he post in here.

:DGreetings all!

This is my first post to this community. I am just a fledgling beginner to Blender, but I have been in the animation world for quite a few years. I work with teenagers and have been looking for a tool to teach them that wouldn’t blow the meager budget that we have, which is little to nothing. I have looked all over for resources to start a class here to teach the teens how to use this tool. I visited Siggraph this year:) and spent a lot of time at the OpenSource booth. I was greatly impressed :eek: with the presentations and information that the workers were willing to give. They took extra time with me, sitting me down at a computer and running over some of the basics. Now I need to learn it inside and out in order to teach it. This online class will help immensely! Thank you so much for posting it here. I can’t get to any of the videos:(, so I will get what I can from the written parts:o.

Again thank you so much for the information. Is there an official class that can be taken with this, or is it just “open” files now for whoever would like to use them?:confused:

Thanks to all for the wonderful comments!!!

Anim8or: Yes, this is an official class at Tufts University but the course content is online at the OCW site and available for all.

Ian30: Yes, I post here and check out this forum as often as I can.

wtr: I contacted the web master for the OCW site and the problems you noted have been corrected - Thanks for letting me know!

JPorter: I checked the Text Tufts Tutorial and it all seems to be there. It is listed both under Learning Units / Unit6 and under Supplementary Material / Complete List of PDF Tutorials.

AkhIL: Thanks for the great “bash” script!

To All:
Many of you have e-mailed me about using different video formats and/or downloading the video files. I tested a wide range of video formats and Real Media was undoubtedly the best at streaming the videos (at that scale). Their “2 pass” rendering results in clean “grid lines” in the Blender background while other formats (mpg, avi, mov) resulted in a pixilation of these lines.

Another person has downloaded all of the video tutorials from the OCW site using a software called WMRecorder. The WMRecorder site is:
http://www.wmrecorder.com/

He has re-formatted all of the video tutorials into non-streaming Real Media format which can be downloaded and stored on your local computer. The URL for his site is:
http://walkercreations.org/blender.html

If you go to this site you can download the video files to your computer. They are still in Real Media format but the file size is much smaller and the quality is very good.

You might try converting these RM files to MOV or some other format but my experience is that all conversions out of RM format are of poor quality. You might be better off just downloading them from his site and playing them with Real Player directly from your hard drive.

If you do not want to install the free Real Media player on your computer you can install the free Real Media Alternative Player:
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Real_Alternative.htm

I have tried to play the downloaded files with this player and it seems to work great.

Thanks again for all of the kind comments. I am currently working on a Intermediate Blender Course that covers many Blender functions not covered in the Basic course. I should have it up by the beginning of 2007.

Neal

Cool looking forward to it keep up the good work your doing great.

By the way Neal how long have you been using blender, i am just starting out and i find your video tutorials real easy to follow.

I taught the Basic 3D course (and an intermediate level course) for many years using 3D Studio Max but switched to Blender a couple of years ago.

This is great, helped a huge deal.
Thanks

Thank you for sharing!
I find them pedagogical and professional.
/mi

Hi Neal,

I was referring to the video tutorial entitled “Text Objects”. I click on it and it brings up the player but then it says “Requested file not found”.

Hope this helps. Did a couple of the pdf tutorials today. Excellent job.

Thanks

i carn’t play the tutorial either i use real media player to view them.

JPorter & Ian30:
I will have the webmaster fix the link. - Thanks!
In the meantime here is the direct link:
Text Objects

Neal

link isn’t working, always!! is there anyone with a mirror or smth ?

The video tutorials are reposted (and downloadable) here.

Neal

I would just like to add my thanks. This course has helped me considerably and I want you to know that you rule!:slight_smile:

Just also wanted to add my thanks on these. Incredibly useful to me as I am just starting to learn blender and I love these tutorials :slight_smile: Hope your students appreciate them as much as we do :slight_smile:

Neal…I just recently downloaded your entire series, and have been going through them steadily.

With breaks from the internet and all, it took me about two days iirc to download the entire series :smiley: [OK, probably could’ve done it in a day, but I had other stuff going too]

I just want to say that I’ve done your Yellow Submarine PDF tutorial[my two favourite computer learning tools are video tuts and PDFs :p] and got the final product to look almost EXACTLY like your final output, which is something I’ve had a lot of trouble doing with the Wiki documentation and the Blendernation tutorials.

SO, I can’t thank you enough!

I HEARBY NOMINATE THESE TUTORIALS SHOULD BE THE OFFICIAL BLENDER.ORG TUTORIALS, REPLACING THE OTHER ONES…

[No offense to Greybeard and Glen Moyes.]

neal:
aaaah, finally a downloadable version of the video tutorials! i didn’t use the streaming versions at all because i hate to install the ad-supported real player! now i know what i missed out! picture and audio quality of the videos are excellent: little noise or artifacts, and clear pronunciation! :wink:

thanks so much for the link!

CKA

Oops…I installed Realplayer…:stuck_out_tongue:

Which ones are those?

See post #54

Neal