Rigify Auto-rigging system: new and improved

Nathan, this is really great. Big thank.
One question. Is it possible to make my own set up or rig part (for example ribbon spine) and associate it somehow with Rigify so it will generate my custom set up instead of the original (i.e. "yours :-)) one?

Yes, but you will have to code it in Python.

Under the rigs directory look for “copy.py”. It’s the simplest rig type, and you can start to get an idea of how to code a rig type from that.

There are some rules that you have to follow, though, to guarantee that the rig types you write will play nice with the rest of Rigify. I’ll perhaps write up a tutorial at some point outlining those rules, and why they need to be followed.

Thank you very much, Nathan.

Wow, my jaw is on the floor. I spent several hours a few weeks ago doing what you did in the click of a button. THANK YOU!

Heya,

Just installed Bazaar but it’s not letting me access
bzr://bzr.cessen.com/rigify

Could I be doing anything wrong and/or is there any other simpler way to get hold of Rigify?

Thanks! :slight_smile:

I have installed bazaar and copied the contents of Cessen’s folder file by file (actually contents of a files one by one) created directory structure but I still can’t make it work.

I would love to be able to try this… however…

ok so turns out I actually had to put in
http://bzr.cessen.com/rigify rather than
bzr//: etc
for it to work! (Well to give me access at least)

but the export function doesn’t work so i to ‘browse’ and create and copy each file manually… Hopefully I haven’t made any mistakes because will be hell to figure out which file I copied wrongly… :confused:

Still have to try it though! Fingers crossed!

:slight_smile:

thank you!

Update:

Finally gave it a shot and it kinda half worked for me (I’m on Wndows 7 by the way)

At first I couldn’t activate the addon but then after a slight change I could…
The change, you ask? Drum roll: ‘Rigify’ folder had to be all small letters so ‘rigify’!
Not sure if it was a conicidence but for those of you having problems activating the addon see if you have any caps in the naming for all it’s worth.

Once the addon was activated all menus showed up and I proceeded to follow cessen’s video but when I clicked ‘generate’ all I got was a copy of armature, which I believe Cessen said in an earlier post is because of an incompatibility with recent blender versions, correct?

Has anyone manged to get it to work on windows with a build from Graphicall? If yes, can you please let me know which build as, so far, none of the ones I tried have worked as expected! :confused:

Thanks!

in first video you say that we can get this generic man
is this free license and where can we get it to experiment ?

also is this rigify available on latest built at graphicall for vista or not ?

Thanks and happy 2.5

hi there, i am very exciting with the discover of rigify, but i try to download with bazaar, and i cant, i introduce the url, and get this error, this brand dont have work tree, last revision 38, please help me, how i can download rigify?

OH MY GOD Ilac. I was playing around with this thing not working for ages. Many thanks for the fix.

~Glenn

Me again! Is there possibility that we get those files in one pack so we can try them. I’ve copied files for the third time (file by file), and although there is rigify in the addons, I cannot make it work (the &% stays gray).

I would really like to give it a try, but I have given out hope that I’ll make this bazaar thing work.

Nathan? Anyone?

http://www.sendspace.com/file/n1ojg9

this is a zip from the rigify i got from a few days ago, not sure if there are any new enhancements since then

just unzip the file and stick the whole rigify folder in your addons folder

Hi guys - Progress!

So to download the files with bazaar (rather than copying every file manually) you need to checkout the rigify files to a local branch. I think I managed via the menu: Bazaar> Start> Checkout.

It’s also working as expected with most recent windows builds on grapicall!
Thanks cessen!! :slight_smile:

Here’s how I got it working on OSX with the latest build. Install Bazaar. Open terminal and type in “bzr branch http://bzr.cessen.com/rigify
This should start the process and let you download to the root level of your Mac drive. Now, located the latest version of Blender you have downloaded. Right mouse click on the application and select “Show Package Contents”. Then Navigate to this folder / Contents/MacOS/2.55/Scripts/addons Drag/Copy the entire Rigify folder into this addons folder and close the window. Launch Blender 2.55, Goto File/User preferences / Add-Ones … Down the left side you will see Rigging, click on it and make sure Rigging:Rigify is checked. That’s it, you will then be able to follow along with the demo…

This is what is happening to me. I get the console line: “Rigify: failed to generate rig”

Win 7 4bit and build 32858 which I just downloaded and it came with rigify.

EDIT: Never mind, it must have been something I did. I tried a second time and it worked like a charm.
Thank you, this tool is very nice!!

Ok, so it’s not working quite like a charm.

It will generate the new rig, but the new rig is scaled down and the location is off so I have to try to scale it and line it up with the mesh.

Problem solved, I had to apply scale and location to the armature and my mesh before generating the new rig.

I think that happens when you scale the rig in object mode. When you adapt the rig to fit your character don’t scale it in object mode but tab into edit mode and align the bones one by one. I’m not sure if this is the case in the new rigify system because I still haven’t tried it but that’s how it works in the official 2.54 beta

I’ve been helping out Cessen with a little testing here and there, so I can answer one or two of the issues that are cropping up from my experiences.

Scaling &/or offsetting the armature will cause problems, because the rigify scripts make an assumption that the armature is siting above the origin. The way I ensure things are working is that I make sure the rig is standing on the ground plane (as seen from ortho front view) and that the legs are standing either side of the origin point (i.e. hips, spin, etc are all at x=0). You can use the “Apply Location” and “Apply Scale” operations to freeze the armature there properly. I have found if you rotate the armature that “Apply Rotation” does weird stuff to the bone roll values, so I’d avoid that if possible.

Getting a message “cannot create rig” tends to be because you’ve flagged bones in the armature with a rig type, but their connectivity does not match what is required of them. For example, I was banging my head against a wall for half an hour before I realised that the upper arm joint is not allowed to be “connected” to the shoulder/collar joint. Checking the “Connected” property to off on the upper arm bones fixed this. The best way to use rigify is to use the samples provided and align the bones manually. There is a human metarig you can add from the “Shift+A > Armature” menu that is setup correctly, or you can (whilst editing the armature) add a sample arm/leg/whatever from the Rigify panel in the Properties view.

Unless, like me, you are trying to rigify a pre-existing mesh and armature… in which case, you need to edit the armature to correspond to the rigify expectations. Time consuming, painful, and mind-numbing as that might be.