Tank Wars - Tb1alexc's GE Contest Entry - RELEASED! Check last post.

Thanks all for your comments! Had a busy time with college so haven’t really got that much done…

Minfig: I don’t know if I’ll need to release a demo, as the game mechanics and things are working fine now (tested for 2+ hours with the family a few days ago and found no faults) with no bugs, but maybe you’ll get one… we’ll see

LDS_Marine: Well… I’m a freelance logo designer (check my website, link in my signature), so all I’d say that it boils down to is practice. I tend to look through colours and fonts that mesh well together, and use them - also, I tend to keep my logos simple, elegant simplicity is the one thing I try to aim for in nearly all my work.

Moguri, Minifig: Yeah, it’s the “/” key. I was going to use the CTRL key, but some computers really struggle when it is pressed many times in a row (start opening disability help programs etc). We’ll see, if I release a demo then I’ll try and gather feedback from that. No-one so far has had problems with the “/” key howerver.

Slukas: Thanks for the paintover buddy! It’s a really great idea, and I would like to use GLSL as there could be so many cool effects done with it. However, I’m aiming to release the game for as many people as possible, and I know that a lot of people’s computers struggle -with GLSL or can’t render it at all. I also want to see just how far I can push Blender’s 2d capabilities :D. I really appreciate your help though, and your game looks awesome :wink:

Updates on the game:

I’ve made a new map, screenshots in the first post, although it’s only about 50% done (lots of detailing left to do!) . I’m also thinking about different game modes, for example racing, and coin-collection. Anyone else who’s got any ideas, feel free to spit them out!

Also, I’m taking the game into college for its first proper demo today, so I’ll report back soon and let you know how it goes.

Cheers, and thanks for all your suggestions!

Alex

Looks like great fun! Simple in style but I’d imagine very addictive in gameplay.

Possible Game Modes:
King of the Hill (Short): Round Timer say 2 Minutes. With a timer for each player starting from 0:00.
When a player goes into the marked area on the map that players timer starts increasing. Who ever has the highest timer at the end of the round wins the game. If a player dies they respawn a distance away from the ‘Hill Area’ possibly.

King of the Hill(Longer): Same as above but no round timer this time but both individual timers still. When 1 players timer reaches eg, 2 Minutes they win.

They should provide a pretty exciting match and stop players hiding or a never ending game of collecting health, though without playing the game itself I dont know if this is possible anyways :slight_smile:

Keep on Tankin’ !

– BUMP! –

New update, now I’ve got the Bonecrusher out of the way I can focus on this game again. I’ve finished the second map, and started work on a third, see the screenshots in the first post.

Odeas - thanks buddy! They’re some great ideas, I’ll try my best to integrate them! If you have any more, let me know :wink:

Wow, niceness! Which is level three and level two? I couldn’t tell.

JESUSFRK: The levels are posted in reverse order, for example (from the top down) level 3, level 2, level 1. Although, it won’t really matter which level number is which at the end of the day, as you’ll just be able to select any of them as a battleground from the main menu anyway.

Progress: Paradise is finished, as is a new map called Revolver, all of which have been tested a lot and proved great fun. Screenshots of both levels will be uploaded shortly, in the meantime, take a look at the pre-release (beta) trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bMfR5dPLPo&fmt=18

Another bump!

New screenshots of the 5 levels are now available in the first post. Check them out!

Also, if anyone has any ideas for a map, please let me know. Remember, the entire thing has to fit into a normal blender-camera bounds, so no scrolling maps etc. Looking forward to hearing some of your ideas!

verrrry Cool tb1alexc!!!
I realy need play this! very god !
Good luck in your project and in Contest!

goes to look at new screenies

What about a city level? or a lavaish level, or maybe one with a river and bridges.

Edit: Woah! Nice trailer, the game play looks sweeet!

You could do a candy land style level.

A LEGO level would be awesome!:wink:

A snow themed level might be cool. Be nice if the tracks could be seen in the snow too :smiley:

Woods themed level. Similar to your desert type level but with more tree’s possibly and darker colours?

I must say gameplay looks great and makes me want to have a deeper plunge into the game engine side of blender to have a go at making something myself.

New level from Jesusfrk’s suggestion, we now have lava! Take a look at the screenshot in the first post.

Thankyou all for your ideas! I’ll be working on them, if you’ve got any more, shout out! :wink:

Haha, cool! That was really fast! :smiley: looks sweet!

Another update, based on JESUSFRK’s idea for a city level. It’s called city fog.

Next up I’ll have a go at that snow level!

Sweet :smiley: looks really cool!

Wow! Nice work! The trailer is very good as well.

I really wish that I could see youtube videos, but I can’t.:frowning:

Wow dude this is getting better and better!

Ohh, just had an idea: a desert level where there is only one big obstacle in the middle…an oasis with a palm tree and a pond. There could also be some cacti dotted around if you wanted to make the level bigger.

Alex you should get a viddler.com account. better video quality, and you can customize your player (colors, plus you can add your own logo to it. No more branding by the company). Plus some of can see viddler also, hopefully :stuck_out_tongue:

Man, this looks pretty sweet. It reminds me of the old school games. Any chance of AI?

And btw, who was playing the 2nd tank in the video?

Vimeo works good for me BTW…