Texture Paint Presets

Does that Psy_Fi GSOC branch have stencil projection like in Mudbox?

Nicholas Bishop added such a feature for the PTex branch years ago (called overlay) but it never got any further than that.

@xrg - by the way, how did you set Blender to use these icons for your brushes? i can’t find any setting for that for the life of me, and i don’t know what the names of the default icons are, in order to search them :slight_smile:

@ohsnapitsjoel - In the appearance panel there is an option for custom icon. The default ones show if you don’t have a custom icon set.

@spatdsg - Yeah that’s all 100% in Blender. Blender’s brush system is good enough for hand painted stuff, but if you’re texturing with actual photos, you’ll probably need an image editor.

I made a more monochromatic style icon set. I’m also doing some skin/wrinkle alphas for bump map painting, but they’re not quite ready to show yet.

http://i.imgur.com/825NNTa.png
http://i.imgur.com/TYpiunV.png

Wow, cool work, Xrg!

How did you manage to get that neat texture in blender? I always get rough and dirty texture using Blender brushes. And Smear combined with Soften brush is not strong enough to get clean texture. For me, blender is like missing Healing brush. That’s why i always use image editor instead of blender’s texture paint. But looking at your texture on that model, it seems like i’m wrong. Yeah, i must be missing something here. So, can you tell me how did you get that clean and smooth texture, please?

I also humbly request a tutorial on this too - There are sooo many modeling tuts out there, but very few on the details of texture painting. It’s the little details too that are the big hangups. Would be nice to see video that is not overly sped up showing progress start to finish.

Very Cool basic. to bad there cant be sub branches like this so other people can make there own. When you make more and more the scroll option has stopped working i had to type the name of the texture. some cool BW and Color procedural textures nodes would be nice. thank You.

I would also like to request a brief tutorial. I honestly didnt think Blender was capable of that hand painted texture work, and you just showed otherwise. =)

That texture and its details were made in the Texture Paint mode ?

I’m very impressed, i never could do anything detailled with the Texture Paint mode in Blender.
In the Texture Paint mode i’m only able to do “roughs” or “guidelines” for further work, and then i always need to fall back into GIMP/MyPaint/other texture painting apps to paint/make the real detailing.

Would really love to see a tutorial on how to make a detailled texture with the Texture Paint mode without having to use another application for those details.

I’ve tried recording a video but I kept having audio problems. So I gave up since I was wasting too much time with it. :stuck_out_tongue: I guess I could do one without audio or one with subtitles like David Revoy does if that would help.

It would help me, xrg but don’t do it just for one person. I really like David Revoy’s videos so I have no hassles with something done in similar style.

I’m sure a video made by someone as talented as xrg would help everyone fighting with the Blender Texture Paint mode , not only one person :wink:

Been texture painting for a while.
Man the headache setting the brush and textures.
In fact I just reported a bug for texture painting alphas.
Also I plan to make a tutorial, but after going 1/4 into the tutorial,
I found out that Blender’s texture paint is crap.
Useable but need many tweaking to get started.
Contacting devs to iron those tedious task out.

xrg, also a +1 for a video tutorial on your painting techniques. I only just found this thread , and i am loving what you are doing here.

I think the textures are cool my self, ya some are blah, but if you layer them in BI or use nodes you can make some really nice stuff. The problem is they are a little time waster. The thing that turned me on again was i noticed the scale wasn’t so much from the texture but from the paint panel it self. Playing with the curve and how the pen jumps around. Think about it all paint editors are the same there really not that grand, but more time was put in to the custom brushes that what makes the program nice. Best example is My Paint. I like Paint Dot Net my self, nice a simple but the plugins are really nice. Its a shame no one has made no addons for paint, yes.

I don’t disagree… but I try not to speak for others :wink:

Audio is nice, but not needed. If we can see what you are doing, it usually solves most problems. Using you tube annotations could be easier than going all out with subtitles too.

I agree. This is probably only true of me, but I don’t even watch tutorials with audio very much any more - I mostly watch timelapses or download the video file if I can, speed it way up in VLC (to MAKE it a timelapse) and turn the audio off. I can get a ton of information about a solid workflow even with a wordless tutorial, and I’m sure others can too. Besides, if you’ve got screencast keys on, we can understand what you’re doing without you even having to say it. :slight_smile:

@xrg: Do you paint all your textures in Blender? I tried painting, but it comes out horrible, nothing like I paint in GIMP. Could you please make a video (not a timelapse), without audio, simply showing how do you paint stuff like we see in your first post (not the whole texture, but just enough to get details, to understand your technique and use of painting tools).

+1 for the idea of just a video of your workflow as you texture - I can slow it down and figure out steps from looking closely, and I like what you have done

Very cool indeed. You guys probably already know this but abrmate, found on texturemate.com is a pretty good conversion tool. Any Photoshop brushes you can find on the web can be converted over to alphas and used for this. Will definatly be checking this thread.