Texture Paint Presets

Hallo here as well. As I said in the texture paint GSOC thread also, I am thinking about removing non projective texture mode from the 3D viewport. If anyone finds it useful, please list a reason on that thread.

@xrg I will also communicate with others on updating our paint icons if possible. If the answer is positive I’ll contact you.

What’s the difference between projected and non projected mode ?

In projective mode the tool splats the texture just like you see it on the screen. In non projective mode, the tool simply finds the uv point where the intersection with the cursor happens and does the painting in 2D space. It ignores many settings and is imprecise if your model is complex or with high curvature. Also it cannot paint over seams. It does paint well in image space if your model is well unwrapped with low distortion and it is faster than regular projection paint. So it’s a win-lose situation. I wonder if people use it though. If they do we will keep it.

What’s the benefit of removing it? Is there a reason it has to be removed (preventing implementation of something else for example) ?

I mainly use projection paint, even if I have really unwrapped well.

It’s not preventing something to be implemented but the two code paths are too tangled. I think that I can disentangle them without losing the functionality though.

I wouldn’t have much issue with removal of that if it’s necessary. I primarily use projection paint even over painting in the image editor. For some reason, projection paint seems to respect strength and pressure sensitivity better than the non-projection paint modes so it is considerably easier to blend colors.

I’ve been putting all of my stuff up on GitHub as I work on it. Still working on a painting video. :stuck_out_tongue:

All I heard then was “blah, blah, blah… Still working on a painting video” :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:
[SUP]
Actually, I didn’t know about your github, so got that bookmarked now… and will take a look at the theme as well. Thanks :)[/SUP]

The colorful brush images in this thread are really cool! For sure the set we have in svn lack clarity a lot.

My only concern is that it uses a very distinct style and visual language, which is not common in our UI really.
Could you check on the brushes, and explore how to make visuals that fit our icon styling more?

Like this:

Thanks!

-Ton-

New icon attempt.

They’re in the bicon branch on my github page. At the risk of stating the obvious, rake is only a placeholder at the moment as there isn’t a rake option available in Blender yet.

http://i.imgur.com/v9wVLzz.png

Any chance for a video? (it seems like making video would be faster than redrawing icons :wink: )

Well the intent of this thread was to make the presets, not volunteer or get myself recruited for video tutorials. :stuck_out_tongue: I’m going to try to squeeze a video in today or tomorrow though.

Necro post but had to reply about it. Your version 2 icons were extremely great. The colored ones, I don’t know… looks like icons in Win XP or GIMP. But your style is great nonetheless.