Tile Branch is in Trunk

Hey Tile branch makes it into trunk! Yay.

Revision: 46725
http://projects.blender.org/scm/viewvc.php?view=rev&root=bf-blender&revision=46725
Author: jbakker
Date: 2012-05-17 12:49:33 +0000 (Thu, 17 May 2012)
Log Message:

TILE!
merge to TRUNK!

• The old compositor is still available (Debug Menu: 200)

at: http://lists.blender.org/pipermail/bf-blender-cvs/2012-May/045908.html

Has anyone tested it vs old builds?
I have tested the 19billion island and it renders slower with this tiles. But perhaps it only is useful with complex compositing and worst with simpler ones?

build 46697 rendered in 18 seconds (10 samples 1920x1080 at 100% (not the default 60%))
build 46745 rendered in 33 seconds
So the compositor thing is around 15 seconds worst with this scene. Anyone with a better comparative?

i can’t build rev 46746 on Ubuntu 11.04 64-bit. i’m getting the following errors:

/home/joel/blender-svn/build/linux/lib/libblenkernel_blc.a(stubs.o): In function COM_execute': stubs.c:(.text+0x1500): multiple definition ofCOM_execute’
/home/joel/blender-svn/build/linux/lib/libbf_composite.a(COM_compositor.o):COM_compositor.cpp:(.text+0x0): first defined here
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
scons: *** [/home/joel/blender-svn/build/linux/bin/blenderplayer] Error 1
Install file: “release/scripts/addons_contrib/io_scene_cod/export_xanim.py” as “/home/joel/blender-svn/install/linux/2.63/scripts/addons_contrib/io_scene_cod/export_xanim.py”
Using existing python from:
“…/install/linux/2.63/python/lib/python3.2”
(skipping copy)

scons: building terminated because of errors.

i just built 46723 this morning and it worked just fine, built without a hitch. what does this error mean?

I use cmake. Perhaps scons building is broken at the moment.
Try a graphicall build meanwhile.

Disable Blender Player for now.

i’m not very experienced changing the values in the scons configure file, could you help me understand exactly how to do that? i tried setting the WITH_BF_PLAYER variable to False (it was set to True by default) but it still gives the same error. is there something else i need to configure?

edit: never mind, i got it working with CMake after some cleanup.

And it should work with scons too right now.

Yay! I may never be good enough to code my own patch, but at least now my name is recorded in Blender history forever! :slight_smile:

I don’t know, but new tile compositor is slower than old one. I tried no GPU, opencl, cuda, all the same on GTX460.

There is no OpenCL nodes in the new compositor now it is “only” multicore tiling.
Some of the new nodes are slower then old ones but it is much faster in most cases.
The OpenCL implementation is not funded by now, but you can change this.
http://ocl.atmind.nl/doku.php?id=design:proposal:compositor-redesign

Cheers, mib.

Could you (or anyone else with the knowledge) perhaps write a bit more about that? It’s good to know what limitations to expect when diving into a freshly implemented feature.

isn’t blender fundation supposed to take the money they get monthly donated to get the OpenCL compositing nodes done? I got that impression from bconf when joered showed his multi-cored versions.

the tile reconstruction is because you can send in them [tiles] to the GPU to do it’s thing.

I think the initial donations were to help accelerate development to get the core into the trunk…

does any one else have the problem where the viewer node does not work unless a
composite node is present?

Yes I can verify.
Build Rev. 46762, tested with 2.63 working without composite node.
But is this realy a bug, working in compositor without composite node?

Cheers, mib.

After a quick test i’m disappointed.

Exactly the same Scene, Render + Comp:

in 2.61.4: 22sec
in 2.63.5 no CL : 1 min 37sec
in 2.63.5 with CL: 1 min 4 sec

another one:

in 2.61.4: 1.78 sec
in 2.63.5 no CL : 6.45 sec
in 2.63.5 with CL: 6.67 sec

another one, just comp:

in 2.61.4: 8.89 sec
in 2.63.5 no CL : 34. 37sec
in 2.63.5 with CL: 39.27 sec

Plus the Result is Wrong, or at least different to 2.61.4…

all on macbook pro 6.2

It’s clear that my gpu (330M GT) isn’t great for this purpose, but a slowdown of 4X?

EDIT: I have no Problem at all if The Tile/CL isn’t faster than the old one, but that much slower, is a problem…

It depends very much of your node setup, IIRC the Fog Glow is very slow compared with 2.63.
Wondering about the time with/without OpenCL.
There is no OpenCL compositing included atm…

May you have a testfile for compositing for us to compare.

Cheers, mib.

I have, like in Tile Branch, a OpenCL Button in Compositor Properties… with build from 1 h ago. Maybe it isn’t hooked up to OpenCL yet? But my point is more the slowdown of non OpenCL - at first.

Testblend, nothing fancy - a simple Blooming/Burnout test, here: pasteall
There you can see as well a difference of Resulting Image between 2.64.1 and 2.63.5. Altough i think this is just one wrong node calculations, don’t know yet which one…

my test a post earlier range from LensFlare to full Compositing.

EDIT: This might not be a very clever node Setup, as i can see myself. :wink:

EDIT II: Probably just found a bug. Render Result only get Compositing if fresh rendered, After change a setting in Compositor it doesn’t update anymore…

EDIT III: Another Test - Image Compositing with no Fog Glow:

in 2.61.4: 9.82 sec
in 2.63.5 r46765 no CL : 23.38 sec
in 2.63.5 r46765 with CL: 23.09 sec
in 2.64.5 r46695: 5.15 sec

Is anyone sending these to bug tracker?

i will, but so far i have not something concrete enough for bug tracker.

“EDIT II: Probably just found a bug. Render Result only get Compositing if fresh rendered, After change a setting in Compositor it doesn’t update anymore…”

i check on this one and submit it, if not already there.

But thanks for the hint, it doesn’t make sense to complain but not to act :wink: so i do post bugs to bug tracker.

For the general Slowdown, i wouldn’t know what to post on the bug tracker? So far i can’t say where the slowdown happens… I have to make some more tests on This. Probably just Connecting different stuff and see how it reacts? I’m not sure yet what’s the best way to figure out this specific one…

EDIT: btw, the bug tracker - is there a way to set search results -> newer posts first? it’s annoying to click through 10 Pages of Bugs of 2009-now… has bug tracker bugs? and if so is there a bug tracker for the bug tracker :wink: sarcastic, ironic, probably yes :wink:

EDIT II: No. really. I’m just 2 minutos of clicking through old bugs… Is there a manual for Bug Tracker? Is there a setting for Sort Posts for Release Dates? This is really annoying - and this way i’m thinking 10 times if i want to submit a bug at all!!!