uninterested about unlimited clay ?

CEK, Bmesh won’t “magically” fix anything…

someone would still have to recode how booleans work (which may or may not prove easier in bmesh)
That’s why I mention the “carve” library…

http://carve-csg.com/
which is specifically written to make booleans better…

but enough with the off topic!

Wait a second , Wait ,I dont think I understand his question correctly .

Zbrush has zspheres which are used to death.

Sculptris has unlimited claiy which its major feature

The other thing i forget its name right now has voxels which caused quite a stir

All pro 3d apps commercials have ngons while blender has not got.

and he is asking if we need unlimited clay ? eeeehhhh Hell YEAH!!!

I would even take improved metaballs if he has the time for it and unlimited clay is proven too hard for him.

But seriously , what kind of question is that ? These kind of features are standard in todays organic modelling .

It’s a 2.54 patch, unstable.
Should be updated to 2.57b, but now bmesh is on target for veggie branch is it worth ?

:yes:

I am definitely interested - I rate it as one of the many killer features being added at present and was expecting it would make trunk after 2.5x went final. However Farsthary, I see you producing more and more results for 3D coat and kind of wondered if the blender version might never make it :frowning:

Just don’t dare to get my hopes up too much.

I want unlimited clay, but along with it a better viewport performance :wink:

I’m sure i’m getting flamed after my words/thoughts. I can not see a finished unlimted clay in Blender.
From all other projects Farsthary started which one was finished and made it into Blender? Farsthary likes to experiment with Blender which is good, though focussing on finishing a project is not his strong side. Now, flame away!

Live clay is beta, volumes in trunk since a while, fluid particles in trunk, particles subframes maybe also …

you’d better mention

http://code.google.com/p/carve/

and

also that the lib was already in process to be combined with bmesh http://lists.blender.org/pipermail/bf-committers/2010-March/026525.html

as for those who still wish to try unlimited clay here are links
at

file:

http://www.zoo-logique.org/3D.Blender/php/compteur.php?url=win32_unlim_clay-110428

Because of American embargo’s and restrictions, Cuba is the wallhala for reliable and speedy internet connections. If I read correctly in the paper it has only been 1 month since they have a cable connection with the main land (venuzela). And that clearly has its impact in farsthary work.

It nice and dandy that in our western world there isn’t a problem with syncing to the latest branch (and that is really a problem in a fast changing blender world) or getting all the information that we wan’t and that fast, but for some people that isn’t the case. If I remember a post correctly on blendernation last year farsthary gets its whitepapers for example on DVD that people bring along from abroad. I am not even sure if it would be possible to upload complete builds (speed and services that are blocked) if he wanted to.

Its a shame because the guy is talented and if I compare it with his work in 3D coat (liveclay) where he gets a lot of support also from Andrew, it is really a difference of day & night. There seems to be also a different attitude because when people do have a problem or faces a bug they are really relaxed about it and report it. Here when something doesn’t work even if it is clearly alpha/beta the attitude can shift very negative rapidly and that rubs of so the interests gets lost.

In dutch/flemisch we have een saying that goes like this “je moet roeien met de riemen die je hebt” which translates I think in “one must make shift with what one has”, and that seems an appropriate description for the situation.

How much bandwidth do you need in sending codes of text?

Why would you even expect booleans to work perfectly in any sub-d app? If you’re not concerned so much in seeing millions of tris and ngons, then it might work. But sometimes people are unrealistic. They want it to work, then expect to see clean meshes out of it.

Silencebe I think you are right. But this type of negative responce is normal. I remember when sculptris was promissed by Drpetter peoples were doing the same with him also. And our person is an all rounder and famous for jumping from one to another.
As I posted before "there is some code for automatic triangulation somewhere in the patch and somebody have to turn it on (this is what I understand from Farsthary’s comment) and make a build . Then it will work better

I have to remind you my bad reaction when Raul joined Pilgway (3DCoat).
I’m also wondering how much do we really need it in blender.
We need a great (great!) retopo and even autoretopo tool for this, first of all. Retopo now is fine in blender but:
We can also have a nice box modeling (and b-sheres as well) we are able to add loops, extrudes, geometry, even under multi resolution sculpting (some smoothing here and there is needed). So we may not need retopology after all.

Sculptris (even meshmixer now lol) exists. Sc has excellent sculpting tools (the most important). New version is almost ready and seems it will be free again. But pixologic goes further because… the real detailed sculpting has to happen AFTER RETOPOLOGY!!! And the quality of the tools is the only truth. As the graphics engine (pixologic has this power)
On the other hand, a new beta 3dcoat already exists, they implementing UC of Raul. They gonna use it under voxels (dynamic tessellation on voxels? !!!) This could be a killer app (they have a strong retopo engine as well)

So, coming to the question of Raul… the real question though is: What is Pilgway’s opinion about these?

And my question to all:

1. dynamic box-modeling under multires (blender)
  2. Sculptris>retopo>zbrush (pixo)
  3. UC under voxels > retopo (3DCoat)

we can vote for fun if you like.

I for one would be very interested in Unlimited Clay, especially if it could work well with Bmesh :slight_smile:

@Cekuhnen booleans are not good for anything other than to really f*** up your mesh and this is true for ALL modeling packages regardless if they support Ngons or not.

His a talented coder but also a bit unfocused and tends to jump from project to project. I don’t know how much intrest there is in unlimited clay but perharps if it is not much he could focus on finishing his other bit of unfinished work SPH.

I work in Evermotion and noone here uses booleans, you just cannot rely on them. Perhaps it works with NURBS or something but you should always do such operations by yourself. Of course if bmesh guarantees perfect booleans operations then I’m glad but I truly doubt that.

Is Carve GPL library?

I’m still interested about Unlimited Clay.

But… we need to see more builds, in order to test it. The last one was unusable, it makes me feel it was not the same as Farsthary used for his demo.

Of course people are interested by the possibility of having one day Unlimited Clay in Blender, anyone that have used Sculptris know the awesome potential of the “face where needed” system in term of sculpting intuitivity.
I use Sculptris all the time and everytime i am extremely impressed.

While i don’t “need” Unlimited Clay because i am entirely satisfied with Sculptris (and i hope a lot about the future beta that should coming sometime), i think that for the Blender sculpting toolset it would be a great addition once it will work correctly, have good performance and is stable.
And of course with some better Blender retopo tools from gsoc, and Nicholas Bishop stabilized awesome Skin modifier it would just be heaven for the sculpt mode.

Because for now, the Unlimited Clay modifier that we have tried in the 2.54 build in zoo-logique is extremely unstable (it crashes a lot), has very bad performance even at low face count and produce lots of unwanted changes on parts of the mesh you’re not even working on.

It’s simply not usable yet and will certainly lot of work to be as good as its potential, that may explain why there’s not as much enthousiasm as there was when Farsthary showed the video months before uploading the code.

I just hope Farsthary will keep improving it, there’s lot of potential.

I’m pretty interested in Unlimited Clay, if a patch gets made that works with the recent builds I’ll make a Windows 64 build with the patch. Until then I’ll just wait patiently.

While some people may be getting impatient with Raul. They should also take into account that he lives in Cuba and his internet access leaves quite a bit to be desired. Searching the net for answers/help/feedback is a bit more difficult and slow for him than it is for most of us. He’s obviously spent a lot of time trying to improve Blender with the limited resources he has, I’m very thankful to him for that. It’s certainly more than I’ve done to try and improve Blender, so I have no place to complain or judge what he does or how fast he does it.