uninterested about unlimited clay ?

The first beta (pre alpha I could say) implementation in 3dcoat is promising though. Of course Andrew (of 3dcoat) helped a lot, I suppose so.
The most important in digital sculpting is performance and tools behavior. A developer must have close conduct with artists and/or being artist him-her self.
IMO sculptris is great on this (with 5-6 tools only!). Zbrush is powerful but more complicated.
I like to add this: a sculpting app doesn’t need to be a part of the package. A simple obj export can do the job perfectly.
Retopo tools in blender are more important for me. Though the use of shrinkwrap mod in retopo is great. A better UI on this could bring more new users in blender.

@michalis, not sure if you’ve checked out Nico’s newest builds on graphicall with the remesh modifier. He just updated it today, I just did a couple simple tests and it wasn’t too bad. But you are definitely more of a sculpt master than me, so you might have better feedback on it.

Link here: http://www.graphicall.org/240

GOOD NEWS
I send an email to him I mean Raul requesting to give us a build himself. And I got a quick reply that he will try to do it soon. The importent thing is it shows that he is still interested. He told that already (if go back to his site and look in the previous posts you can see it)
thanks

Guys

only because in Max or somewhere else Boolean doesn’t work well, doesn’t mean that booleans are bad.
That is your common line of argumentation which is totally flawed.

Truth is if the tool is buggy there is no point in using it. But I have used booleans in NURBS as polygon projects a lot
and when the tool is made well it is a great option to have, specifically for cut section animations or concept explorations.

If one works with booleans you dont care about mesh layout because you work on objects not characters while
booleans can also work on SDS meshes when added after the subdivision modifier.

If Farsthary has such a slow internet connection to work for unlimited Clay how can he then work for 3D-Coat?
How does he manage the information exchange there?

Hi all,

I’ve been regoing through the patch about half of the patch functions are disabled - some were clearly experiments that are disabled because they weren’t quite working right, other stuff it is unclear why it is disabled.

A bunch of functions and structs have been moved around which makes the patch much more difficult to read.

It would definitely function better based off of either bmesh or its own mesh structure - editmesh doesn’t have any sense of locality/connectivity and searches the entire mesh for each update which is ok when the mesh is small but gets extremely slow as the mesh grows in size/complexity.

I’m working on simplifying the patch so that it can be either applied to head or reimplemented on top of bmesh.

CEK…maybe start another thread to rant about booleans?

Tom, good news that you’re looking at simplifying the patch…

It hadn’t occurred to me that the zoologique build might be working strangely because the patch was so hard to apply…

I never managed to apply it myself…

definitively a super nice tool to have this unlimited clay

hope we can get it as soon as possible

at least it can reduce qty of vertices in a 3D model

other soft have it so why not Blender 2.5

unless you want peoples to go to sculptris or other soft!

thanks
happy 2.5 with unlimited clay

Cek wrote:
"If Farsthary has such a slow internet connection to work for unlimited Clay how can he then work for 3D-Coat?
How does he manage the information exchange there? "
This question i asked my self a lot of times.
I got the feeling, raul swaps to 3d coat fulltime.
Like the motto: hey i asked you if you want; i didnt get any answer so i stopped…

• Note from Blendiac: Raul sent us this a few days ago, but due to a massive power and phone outage where we are, we only just managed to get online and post this. Forgive us Raul / Blendheads!

quote from Raul’s blog

From what I’ve understood he can’t post to Youtube/Vimeo/his Blog (not sure how easy it is to access the SVN), look a little deeper on his blog and it seems apparent to me that is the situation he has to deal with being in Cuba. He has to have his friends do it (which I don’t know how that works), I don’t know how he manages his work with 3Dcoat. I’m sure they have a better system setup to transfer data than what his friends can offer. But I’m not going to speculate it to death, I have better things to do with my time.

I’ll say it again, I appreciate the time he does put towards projects whether they come to fruition or not. I’m certainly not angry that he’s putting time into the 3dcoat work, having a job that helps put food on your family’s table seems like something you’d want to work hard at.

@LetterRip, thanks for taking the time to look into the patch. I casually looked at the code, but it made my brain want to pop! If you get it working I’ll do my best to put up a Win64 build!

I’m way interested in it but there was never a build for me to test out. Can someone direct me to an OSX build?

I am not ranting you guys make false claims.

That’s is a difference - sorry.

It was stated multiple times that B-Mesh probably will speed up
also other tools when they are edited to run with B-Mesh.

LetterRip thanks for looking into it - the UC seems to be much more usable
for detailed sculpting then the current tool.

I think he said on his blog that he doesn’t have much time to work on Blender as of now, but he was going to release the source code so that other developers can pick up his work, while I don’t doubt his coding skills, this releasing of the patch for other devs. to work on may be the only way this will get into trunk soon after the 2.58 final release.

definitely interested, i mean come on, is a super cool tool , come on raul we all love your work , you rock , the reason we dont seem to show interest is becuase we havent heard any news in blendernation for example about u.

please brin it on !!!

It is a company you really think they didn’t make the best arrangements ? For all that we know they could ship him the source code on weekly basis by courier. I have seen more spectacular things in my developers life.

Also 3D coat is mostly developed by one person that is a whole other story if you compare it with Blender where you have a group of people developing. That means more changes, more people to deal with, more areas that can be possible changed,… .

One thing I have noticed in the past on the mailinglist is that raul asked a question and in some cases it went unanswered (people are busy I presume) or wasn’t helpful at all. That was something that struck me because that didn’t tempered with his enthusiasm, hell I would already given up in his situation to be honest. I also think the situation is different with 3D Coat as he only has one person to deal with. Decision making maybe also be faster in such an environment.

BTW A patch which is mostly a couple of kb <> syncing with the latest revision especially if there are a lot of people working on it and you need a lot of new stuff to pull in. Sometimes it is not only the case of some changes in code but also libraries, … . That is really comparing apples with oranges.

Sorry but I find some remarks (and I speak in general that is not targeted to you) that farsthary is shafting the blender community because of his 3D coat work really disrespectful. Months before he took a job at 3D coat there where a lot of occasions where he mentioned unrealible slow internet, difficult working conditions, out of date branches or lack of feedback in his articles.

BF needs to tackle more important priorities, I think. UC is a luxury at this point. BF can’t afford to be distracted. Bmesh needs to be completed first before UC. I don’t have use for it, afaic.

Sounds the way I handle break ups; when I want to end something, I try to engineer a quarrel that will allow me to walk away as the offended party :evilgrin:.

UC is a way of doing better organic modeling; BM is a tool to finally be able to handle tasks (like booleans) related to mechanical modeling. I think that priorities are clear: something that is necessary is more important than something that is better than the existing stuff.

UC is tied up with BM. A finished BM will pave the way for a faster development for UC. Priorities are clear. It’s not rocket science.

SB, no offense taken.

“Sorry but I find some remarks (and I speak in general that is not targeted to you) that farsthary is shafting the blender community because of his 3D coat work really disrespectful.”

I dont think anybody mentioned this at all. I think most asked to try to understand where the communication issue is.
But in text it could read in a negative way.

I can imagine that with all the current constructions in Blender some special programs just need to wait in case they depend on a better mesh system which B-Mesh could bring.

I was just surprised that with such a great tool, even when the code might not be that clean, communication between him and BF wasnt as good as I assumed. I would be all over him to get the code done or at least let him know when UC could be implemented.

At the end I think it is an issue of communication between the developers.

jpb06 uhm B-mesh is not only good for faster booleans, there are quite many add-ons which would require BM do get done because the current and old mesh system is not capable of implementing those tools.

B-Mesh would for example make a powerful bevel tool finally usable.

I’ve tested the patch but the dynamic tessellation didn’t work very well so got bored quite quickly since it wasn’t possible to do anything useful. I sure that when UC is a state were it become fun to play with it will get a lot of attention. But its not there at the moment…

http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/02/27/2085943/cubas-internet-repression-equals.html

I’m going to guess Raul is using his bandwidth for his paying gig. Unless something drastic happens politically, his progress will most likely be as slow as 14.4k dialup. It’s gotta suck, the guy obviously likes to code, but it must be frustrating not being able to keep up with the fast pace of Blender’s development.