Vikings

Bravo! VERY well done.

I love your piece. I love the miniature look. I would hate it if you fix the perspective. Intentionally or not, it worked, and all of guys here would have a hard time to get that crisp children’s book miniature look.

I love this work :smiley:

Wow, I really like this image. Great job!

Great work man! How many hours did it take you?

I get the same impression as toontje. I think the image is wonderfully realistic in its presentation, but as a photograph of a diorama in a museum display. I used to be into model railroading, and this picture, to me, looks perfectly photographic in the overall composition. I would have sworn it were a photograph of a well-crafted model of a Norse village. The buildings and ship look like they came straight off of a model craftsman’s workbench. If I did not know it was a render, I would swear I could almost feel the work of an Exacto knife carefully trimming pieces of basswood, small brushes used to paint and stain the wood of the buildings to give them their grain and weathering… I can almost see the craftsman removing his miniature trees and placing them into the scene… spreading out thin layers of glue and arranging his model-ready grasses and scrub along the shore and around the rocks… and ever-so-carefully applying layer after layer of clear resins to bring up a glossy, rippled water scene.

I find the whole picture extremely appealing from my appreciation of “works in miniature,” more than from an eye seeing a “scene out of history.”

I hope you don’t take that as a negative. To me it’s spectacular image all in all! As I say, it looks very much like a “real photograph,” but of a work off of a model craftsman’s bench put on show in a museum or crafter’s show.

Looks fantastic, but I agree as far as the miniatures go. I think Michael W is right as far as horizon goes; also, try to give the shadows more of a blue-ish tone. Another thing that might make the scene nicer and more realistic would be to make the sky more blue. Even if it was an overcast day, the darker grey area looks to clear to have a cloud covering over it. Other than that, great job! You’re definitely a very talented artist, and I’ll also have you know that my favorite blender image is your lighthouse. Keep up the good work!

looks fantastic, my only crits are that it may need some of that camera pop out perspective feature to make it look bigger and less like a bunch of (pretty nice looking) toy models (you can do that by right clicking the camera, going to editing settings [f9] and lowering the “lens” feature. another crit is that the water could probably use some bubbles or suds around the ship and canoe, those usually help. great work though!

Thank you for comments.
As i wrote before this image is closed and finished for me now and i´m not sure if i will return to it. But i realy appreciate your suggenstions - thanks :).

PetyaZubov: “Vikings” took me lot of time (maybe few months), i had lot of work, when i was working on the image :cool:

first impressions
I like this image a lot . I like the composition. the colour scheme, and the style
I see it as more painterly than photographic.
I can imagine the camera zooming in to the figure in the centre of the image and the whole village coming to life.
The only problem I see with it, which only becomes apparent after a while, is that the trees in the centre all have the same basic form and colour, and this uniformity contradicts the organic feel of the whole scene. I think, only a slight variation would make a big difference.

So wonderful !

WOW! Well-done outdoor scenes always blow me away. this one is really amazing and lifelike. I really like the hill in the top left quadrant.
I agree about the ripples and the RHS background. I also think it looks kind of desolate and recently abandoned. More humanoids aren’t really necessary (one or two would be good), all you need are more signs of activity. the color palate & circling birds (look like vultures, smaller birds darting playfully through the fore/mid-ground would be better)) add to the empty mood of the picture, mostly the large amount of brown. Lastly, the water and surrounding terrain have a definite “slow moving fresh water” feel (most likely lake), but it doesn’t really make sense to have a viking warship up in some lake far from the sea (judging by top-left mountain).
I still love this picture and think it is amazing. I don’t want to imagine how many hours of work this must have taken (number is probably scary huge). I am extremely impressed!

really nice rendering

really good great work :smiley:

Beautiful work!!
The only thing that’s bugging me is the shadow on the tree in the top left. It just looks too crisp (but I don’t know anything so feel free to disregard this).
Also something about the water makes it look too shallow for that boat to traverse, but again it might just be me.
Other than that, amazing work! I love the look and feel of it!

-Vince

it’s a real handsome picture

Looks very good !

Wow. Great image. The only thing I would fix is the sky. It needs a bit more texture.

Wonderful !!! its amazing,I really like that,its very coooooooool…

Excellent modeling! Is this BI? cause if it is, you could also try Indigo or Yafaray for just a bit more photorealism with the trees and houses, but apart from those, the mountain is gorgeous! Perfect lighting there! :slight_smile: