[WIP] Blender Destructability Editor

@zeauro : see last video in first post

Thanks, scorpion81.

@scorpion81: particles are awesome :slight_smile: thank you very much

Also thanks for merging pilda’s work. It works with glance.

Just one note for users again - again I wanted to post error with pilda’s boolean fractures, that I get it always I hit destroy button. It was the same problem as before - don’t switch to cycles materials before destroying!!!
With pilda’s script it crash even I don’t choose inner material because he has assigning inner material automatically I think.

At the moment just Knife gives me error (from crack types) even I’m in blender internal.

@vklidu

knife tool is still defunct because it changed fundamentally with bmesh. when it gets fully exposed to python and is controllable from python without patch, i will reintegrate it. Otherwise it will be removed. (voronoi is much better)
and the cycles bug is reported and brecht is assigned to it, but it is still open.

knife - it was just a feedback, I don’t have a needs for now.
cycles - i wrote about it agian because it took me quite a lot of time to recognize what is wrong. so maybe for users like me (that use cycles as default renderer and don’t understant what console says) would be great to have a note on a first page, just don’t frustrated newbie in testing this excelent addon?

anyway thanks for precise and clear response

I mean in blender game engine/physics tab/physics type add some things like Displace,paint,water(have gravity),fire(doesn’t go through
objects),ragdoll

In pilda’s thread was request to “dead object” feature

Does it possible via logic brick?

I tried dynamic paint, but it doesn’t look too real. Result in 2:20

@vklidu
I just added a Object Death Delay setting (for Destructors e.g. the default ball) that deactivates the objects after the given time period again so it at least LOOKS like they were so called Dead Objects. After being hit they move a bit and come to a stop again. If you animate a destructor through a destroyable inside the game engine you should get a similar effect like in the youtube video.
I got similar effect by shooting balls at the wall.
Also exciting is that impact dependent voronoi decomposition. Should be theoretically possible using a particle system and a (not yet) implemented option to trigger fracture from game engine. But that would not be possible in realtime, maybe only good for recording animations with the game engine

oh this is very very cool indeed… thanks a ton Scorpion81!! This really should make its way into main trunk…

@scorpion81: thank you, I will try it :slight_smile:

hey, i’m still getting the no such file or directory [test.out] error… its odd. it didn’t happen 2 days ago… now it is. 64bit r45012 and r44548…
very odd.
edit. sorry forgot to say i’m on mac osx.

You surprised me, I had to always write directory manually (under os x). It’s a bit painful… Hmm

@marf, vklidu:

As I dont own macosx, i can only guess whats the problem with the permissions. Blender must have write permissions to the given directory (by default: its own directory)
Dont know if it helps, but a quick google resulted to this (cant try it out myself, no osx)

scorpion81

I’m trying to get this to work in build: 44807

I keep getting the following errors, maybe I’m using it wrong?

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “C:\Program Files\Blender\Win7.x64-44807\2.62\scripts\addons\object_destruction\destruction_gui.py”, line 961, in execute
dd.DataStore.proc.processDestruction(context)
File “C:\Program Files\Blender\Win7.x64-44807\2.62\scripts\addons\object_destruction\destruction_proc.py”, line 87, in processDestruction
eval(modes[mode])
File “<string>”, line 1, in <module>
File “C:\Program Files\Blender\Win7.x64-44807\2.62\scripts\addons\object_destruction\destruction_proc.py”, line 643, in applyFracture
parent = self.doParenting(context, parentName, nameStart, bbox, backup, largest, obj)
File “C:\Program Files\Blender\Win7.x64-44807\2.62\scripts\addons\object_destruction\destruction_proc.py”, line 362, in doParenting
print("EMPTY Pos: ", pos)
UnboundLocalError: local variable ‘pos’ referenced before assignment

thanks, i guess i’ll try that tonight when i get home from work. interestingly, there was a test.out file created in my home directory from the first time i tried the addon (the time it worked). i thought you mentioned it would be created in the same folder as blender? either way, will see later. will post my exact solution when i figure it out.

One thing I’ve observed while messing around with this is that there seems to be a minimum for how small a voronoi fracture can be. I fractured a base object into 10 shards, and then took each shard and then broke them up into 500 pieces each. No matter how small the base object is, the overall size of a shard seems to be around the same.

que tal una opcion , como “rigid body recorded” de “object fracture” , y “projectile”

that fix didn’t work unfortunately. and i wouldn’t advise following those instructions. it’ll mess up your home folder permissions completely if done incorrectly.

@DayVids:
I quick checked the boolean fracture under r44807 with a cube - it works for me. When trying to fracture more complex objects with boolean fracture, make sure to fix non-manifolds before. Otherwise boolean may produce wrong results or no results at all, which makes the following parenting fail.