[WIP] Blender Destructability Editor

@JoshuaC
do you have something like this in mind ? http://www.pasteall.org/blend/12354

Yes! That’s pretty much exactly what I was thinking. How exactly did you set it up?

Thanks for the explanation on how to make the wall.

@JoshuaC

Additional to the ground plane automatically setup with setup player (you must still scale/move it), you need to add a slanted plane manually.
Ground Plane and slanted plane must both have checked “Destructor” and P_0xxx added as Destroyable. Select the Destroyable object via the selector box and click + to add. And Uncheck “Ground Connectivity” after setup player.

In my latest commit i apply location/rotation/scale to the destructors automatically, but if you change that after to game parenting
you need to re-apply it. And i removed the To Editor Parenting step, since it didnt work correctly and rely on undo now. So better save your scene before hitting To Game Parenting and if you wish to save the converted scene, better save it under a different name.
So you always can return to the unconverted scene.

Hope that helps.

great :slight_smile: thank you (fast response)
Just one note - I got an error when I run the script with Cycles enabled. When I setup Blender Internal, run the script and than I switch to cycles, no problem.

@vklidu

you possibly hit a blender bug. I can confirm the error here and reported the bug as item #30505 in blender bug tracker.

about particles - I need to test it if I get-in :slight_smile: thanks anyway

one more question - if I try something else than cube or sphere I get error . . .

@vklidu:
the plain voronoi decomposition cant handle arbitrary objects, thats why there is voronoi + boolean. This makes basically pieces out of the bbox of an object and intersects irrelevant parts away by applying a boolean modifier to each piece with the original objects shape.
In my latest commit you can also specify a remesh depth, this is passed to a remesh modifier for the original object. Set 0 there to omit application of the remesh modifier. Best thing to do is setting the origin of the object to the BOUNDS center before trying to fracture complex objects. I have successfully decomposed the word “Text” here with that method and 500 shards. It takes all a bit longer than using a cube but now it should work. If the Origin is not at the bounds center, Geometry will be moved there by the addon and location/rotation/scale applied. Otherwise i get wrong results. And: Before hitting to game parent, save the scene. If you wish to save the converted scene also, save it under a different name so you can return to the unconverted scene any time.

And: beware of non-manifolds in your objects to fracture! They must be manually fixed before attempting to fracture them with voronoi + boolean (because the boolean modifier cant handle them very well) e.g. suzanne has non manifolds at her eyes. Replace the eyes by an (ngon) face, then it should work !

Hope that helps.

Errors out the wahzoo with the March 9th build, no one thing works at all, never was able to get voroni to work with the original build either.
Linux 64, Blender 32.

@jackblack

You try to use a 32bits blender build on a 64 bit Linux ? Why dont you use a 64 bit build ? My addon detects the system bitness
and tries to load the proper version of the voronoi library, e.g. when it detects Linux 64 bits the 64 bits version is attempted to load.
the 64bit library wont work with a 32 bit blender build.
“Nothing works” might be because it is tried to load the voronoi lib right at module startup. If this fails, the addon wont load at all.

@scorpion81
The REason I use a 32 bit Blender is because the 64bit won’t even run, even if I try to run it from the terminal (cd ~blah blah blah ./blender) it won’t run and it does have the permission.

Ok, got a working version of 64 bit blender, your new version of the addon still doesn’t work, gives me errors galore.

@jackblack

could you please post the exact error message(s) ? Do the errors pop up at addon loading time or later ? Do you use python 3.2 ?

This looks really cool, I hope that it gets added into blender

Impressive!

This would be great !
Particle systems density can be controled by Weight groups or texture.
So it is maybe a way to create a workflow using weigth paint mode or texture paint mode.

I have some ideas
1-Dustructability(Tick)
2-Dynamic paint and simulations in game engine(Cross)
3-The collision bound must be the same as the object(Cross)
4-Collision bounds must move like animation(Cross)
5-The location updates(be in the animation place that the animation end in it)when we make an animation and the animation ends in anthor place(Cross)

particle system support added (To Use: set particle system to another object and choose it as volume object, then choose the particle system) and additional hierarchy system similar to fracture addon,
To Use: Uncheck “Flatten Hierarchy” and set Hierarchy Layer to e.g. 20 before fracturing, backups and shards will
then moved to the given layer,
Move Lamp to layer 20 also to have shards correctly illuminated.
Setup Player as usual on layer one (where the first backup remains) and prior to “To Game Parenting” choose layer 1 AND layer 20
to convert scene, then deselect layer 20 again and start game engine from layer 1.

When hitting the object (tested with voronoi fracture and default cube up to now) it should be replaced by its shards.

To create deeper hierarchy, go to layer 20 and re-fracture desired shards. (save before hitting "To Game Parent(!!) and use that saved scene here). Select the Ball object. there set Hierarchy Depth to 2. Then 2nd level will be destroyed too! Its not as simple to operate as pildanovaks script (one click there) , but works similar. And you have more control what gets destroyed by what.

If desired, i can make a little tutorial video showing that.

Hi scorpion, just wanted to let you know you can merge the updated fracture addon into yours anytime, it just should get solved if it gets in the svn, so that it isn’t there twice with different versions.

@pildanovak

Thanks for your reply.
I already merged in your update of the core fracturing method (some parts of fracture_ops.py) but I left out the operators and your hierarchy method, since i had to implement a similar hierarchy method which integrates better in my whole concept/gui. And i use parenting of shards instead of grouping them. If there is a file
name conflict with your addon, i will rename the file in my addon. I didnt have a conflict here since my addon resides under addons_contrib.
The only conflict i had was 2 different versions of your script at the same time (the zip and the svn one).

I did not succeed to reproduce explosion with hierarchy like in vklidu’s video with pildanovak scripts.
I succeed with your cool GUI.
But I don’t understand how to correctly use voronoi fracture.
A tutorial and completed tooltips could help. thanks for your work.