Yet Another Thread about Cycles Materials

Hi all. Today I’m going to make a basic satin fabric material.

As you can see, I have changed my usual test scene. I’m using one blender test scene, made by @Tuqueque. This file contains three scenes. You must select the one for clothes that you can see in my image.

The test scene is very important and must be suitable for the material you are looking for. See how this material does not stand up in my usual scene:

The node setup is very simple. Just a mix between two glossy shaders:

Bye

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for all this. I’m learning tons! Keep them coming, but I really take my hat off to you for putting the effort in and giving it to us for free!

Thanks @joegrimer. Today I’m going to show you a car paint material. Particularly, I like this one a lot.

I thought in creating a node group for cars, with only one parameter: the color.

And the node setup is as follows:

Don’t look for an explanation of the glossy factor setup. Just I tested several options and that dot product shows an effect I liked. Apart from that, I used a double glossy mix, with the color parameter and pure black. I wanted a dark color back.

In the next post you can see this material in the mike pan bmw model.

Bye

This is the material I explained above in the Mike Pan model. This is one of the blender test scenes.

Bye

can you elaborate a little on the meaning
So this last mix node depends on the angle between incoming and normal coordenates.

what is the incoming is it camera or light ray ?

thanks

I love these materials. Keep em coming!

Hi @rickyblender. You can see how vector coordenates are if you plug them into the color socket of a diffuse node:

Geometry: Normal Vector

Geometry: Incoming Vector

In the same way, if you plug the value of a dot product (vector math node) between incoming and normal vectors into a diffuse node, you will see this:

The incoming vector is directed from the viewer (the camera) to the shading point. Its dot product with the normal vector produces the image above.

I have posted these and other images for reference in my blog.

Bye

Thanks @seeman.

@harelynut97, some of these materials are already in the @Meta-Androcto library. I will see how to send others to the online library.

did a test and did not get same results
the dot product is not white !
see sample file
let me know if i did something wrong here

vectorcyclesdoc1.blend (383 KB)

thanks

You must plug the Value output of the Vector Math Node, not the Vector output, into the Color input of the Diffuse Node.

ok corrected that vector output

what about the incoming one you get 1/2 red 1/2 blue
i get redish and almost black!

edit

i’v uploaded a new file showing all attributes in geometry node
not certain it is usefull
but would like to undertand the effect of normal incoming and other attributes here

thanks

Hi @RickyBlender. The incoming vector is different for each shading point. So its coordenates will change depending on the point.

Which file is that? ‘vectorcyclesdoc1b.blend’?

i’v uploaded same file but corrected
and i adde all the var for the geometry node
i know the Backface does not really do anything with vector
use to control emission on 2 faces!

seems also that real normal is for mesh without subsurf !

thanks

Another noob question here:

How do you add the nodes that are embedded in the “walls” of the node groups?

In the last material I haven’t used node groups. They are frames. You only need to drag your node and drop it into the frame with your mouse.

Thanks, but I was actually referring to the previous examples where you are using node groups.

I have figured out how to create and edit node groups, but I am unable to figure out how to add the things that are embedded in either end of the node group, that function as the input and output.

In the jewelry gold example you have five on the left, and one on the right.
How do you add these?

Ok, I didn’t understand it. You can use the same way explained, simply drag the socket you want to be your output/input and drop it in the border. Or you can make your material without groups, and when it is finished, you only need to select all the nodes you want for your group (pressing SHIFT) and then press CTRL+G to create the new group. A button asking to you for creating a new group will appear in the node editor.

Thanks, the first method worked perfectly :slight_smile:

What is the default light settings you use, may I know please? :slight_smile:

You can download one of my test scenes in this link.

Basically I use:

• Four square meshlights located in four corners, with different strengths and sizes.
  • One square meshlight above. This is divided in four faces with emission material and others transparent. Instead I could have created four meshlights.
  • All enclosed inside a box.

Very importat for my lights is they only emit light through one size. The other size is transparent. See blend file of my link.

With this setup the scene is a bit dark, so I have preferred to use some scene compositing and increasing the film exposure instead increasing strengths. Again see my blend file. This way I think materials look better.

This is inspired in Thomas Berglund work and my own version for cycles.

Bye