Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

RGP - Racing Game Project (working title)

This is a game I`ve been making in my spare time since july of 2012. The real development time is around 15 days though.
    The core idea of the game has been brewing for years already and I though it was mature enough develop it further. The game is planned to be simple enough so I can make it on my own - I consider it as my skill test in every possible game development field.

Brief overview:

RGP (will find a proper title later) is a fast paced single player racing game where player is a pilot of ultra fast, hovering race vehicles. Game setting takes place in a distant future, or a fictional universe on various distinct planets around the galaxies. I plan to keep the overall style close to retro futurism - vivid, minimalist and smooth.

For a full GDD (game design document) look HERE
    all of the content there is a subject to change and will form up in further development of the game. Actually for now it is more like a verbal sketchbook of ideas and concepts not a proper GDD.

Also for more detailed development process and frequent updates check my dev-blog HERE

development phases:

the realization process is split up in following phases:
    - planning & preperation (done)
    - sketching and concepting
    - developing game core mechanics
    - developing graphics & shaders
    - developing game art
    - developing sound, graphics & effects- putting all together
    - alpha release
    - debugging

current development phase: sketching and preperation

during each of the phases I will publish pre-alpha releases showing the features developed.
    Later I will create a more specific roadmap for milestone releases.

videos:

sketching

gameplay

downloads:

RGPv0.01 - first public pre-alpha demo (sketchy verison of what the game might feel and look like)
    features:
    - raceable hovering vehicle
    - custom physics & aerodynamics
    - shiny exhaust trail
    - placeholder graphics
    - nice UI using Moguri`s BGUI library
    - basic AI with obstacle avoidance behaviors

critique & comments are welcome!
    Last edited by martinsh; 28-Feb-13 at 09:14.

Very nice looking game with a lot of potential.

Downloading now. Hopefully it runs smooth on my old laptop...

Edit: I'm guessing I'm using the wrong version of Blender (2.65a) because the entire thing is a bit of a mess. When I hit "w" the camera zooms in past the ship and the particle trail is on the front of the ship. o.O It also runs at 3 fps and I think it could be going a bit faster even though my laptop is old... What version of Blender are you using?
    Last edited by zymn; 28-Feb-13 at 09:30.
    Ye olde Blenderer.

zymn, well the game is meant to run at stable 60fps
    game logic and physics timestep is calculated based on fixed 1/60fps frametime so lower or higher framerate leads to complete mess..
    I will fix that at one point. Also 3fps seems really too low, try 2 things -
    - disable shadowmapping from the "Sun" lamp
    - disable "Color management" in Render tab under "Shading" - this helped me a lot when I was on lower end PC

It runs fine in 2.65 & 2.66

NICE! downloading blend now, I love the speed art you did, the game looks very nice.
    SWAP a uniqe first person puzzle game. Check it out at,
    Twitter indiedb.com http://www.indiedb.com/games/swap
    @VurbStudios

Very impressive! I really like the sense of scale the background buildings give the game, not to mention the nice artistic style.

Wow, you did a great job, downloading now, congrats!

I cant download the game from my PC/Mobile Could you use some LED lights in the racetracksLike those in the Solar roadshttp://www.solarroadways.com/intro.shtml

Alright got it to run smooth thanks to your tips. It still does that camera zoom thing though which kind of makes controlling it difficult. Controlling it is pretty tough anyways though. o.O Maybe it would be more accurate if you could use your mouse to turn?

Also the HUD seems to be having a heyday moving all around the screen and disappearing. o.o

----------

Actually nevermind everything I just said. The problem lies with my computer. It runs perfectly fine when I expand the game window in Blender and then scale down the Blender window. Eliminates the lag and stuff. It's friggin awesome dude, reminds me of all the time I spent playing Wipeout Pure on my PSP. Except in this situation, you have to constantly be mindful of your speed else you go plummeting over the edge and into the great yonder. Seriously, it got pretty intense. I was mashing my W and S keys constantly just so I could finish the race once. I like the upside down parts as well. Very neat. There's sometimes some glitching when you hit respawn but other than that pretty damn solid. You wouldn't mind checking out my project would you? It seems like nobody wants to pay attention to it... http://blenderartists.org/forum/show...eed-Some-Help)
    Last edited by zymn; 28-Feb-13 at 11:39.
    Ye olde Blenderer.

Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Spain / Stockholm, Sweden
    I already had some fun with this. Here you can try stiffer handling and hard brakes: http://www.pasteall.org/40107/python

Your game looks nice and is fun. It also ran well on my computer.

Very cool. I really really enjoyed it. Even though its so early in development the game mechanics are quite nice, and the graphics style looks like its heading in a great direction, especially with the filter. Good work as always!

I have been playing a bit with the sky shader that martinsh released with the RPGv01 file.

The prototype for preethams sky implementation has ben discussed before, but then the shader was using "gl_LightSource[0].position" as sun, while in this newer code, the shader looks for the object "Sun" and uses its rotation for defining the sun. The only thing lacking is the nightsky (which would be a texture I guess, that rotates accorind to the rotation of the "sun" object).

Anyhow, beside from the lack of nightsky, the color of sky is really realistic, but I was lacking the look that the sky is more blue during the day, and more red at dusk and dawn. To achieve this effect I changed the code so that the strenght of the reileigh is stronger during dusk, and weaker at noon, depending on the sun vector. The fix looks like this: the last line in the code:

Code:
    shader.setUniform1f('reileigh',0.3*(1/sunVec[2]))
    In the original code, if you wanted the dusk more red, the day would be more white, with this fix it will be the opposite, the more red, the more blue!

The full shader is available here!

Preetham Sky 2k.jpg
    Last edited by martin.hedin; 05-Jun-13 at 07:07.

i notice that your speed is 1.5 is mach. a sonic boom would be realy cool!
    maybe not worth it though.......

Hey I have a question. Is it possible to use your code for the racer and add it to a character, but have it only activate when a button is pressed? I really suck at Python so I don't know. o.O
    Ye olde Blenderer.

Kylona - yes there will be a sonic boom

Originally Posted by zymn View Post
    Hey I have a question. Is it possible to use your code for the racer and add it to a character, but have it only activate when a button is pressed? I really suck at Python so I don't know. o.O
    why would you need this for a character?
    Adjusting this code for other project would be quite hard. You would also have to disable Bullet physics for your character as it uses a custom physics system, there are no collision detection yet.

Well I wanted a smooth controlling speed boost to go with a character in a game and I was trying to think of ideas of how it would work. Controlling like a futuristic racer was an idea because it's fluid and easy to control.
    Ye olde Blenderer.

Just saw/played your game. You are certainly very talented. Kind of depressing that your Realtime things are looking better than my cycle renderings
    Regarding the game I really like the visual style (retro, but really nice).
    Keep up the good work!

@martinsh This is awesome! I saw your concept sketches and thought they were great but I did not see you have the game concept up and running as well! Its great!
    And you hit hard on the nail with the style and rendering and gameplay.

In my eyes the great thing about games like wipeout is the smooth insane velocity racing with loong smooth tracks so you can get the speed up. The style of the game is not as important. Yet when that is said i love the colors and atmosphere of your game. Its very like your sketches!

Anywhere we can read about or can you tell about your future plans..? Any specific areas you want to get help?

EDIT martin.hedin Thanks for clearing the name confusion, Sorry
    Last edited by ejnaren; 20-May-13 at 08:23.

@ejnaren, i think you mean martinsh!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast