Text in the sequencer.

How can I go about adding some text to some video in Blender? It should work as a strip really, just like importing video. I add a ‘text strip’, then scale it for how long I need it. How can I do this?

Thanks in Advance.

This is Blender so it can be done in many different ways.
What I usually do is create a scene where I add text objects in 3D, render out a frame, save, and import the output file in the sequencer.
But it is also possible to import the 3d scene in the sequencer as a scene strip.
Finally, you can create text with alpha in any bitmap or vector graphics app and import it in the VSE.

or render the text sequence on a black background as a png set to RGBA and import the strip into the sequencer and, i think its an effect but you put an alpha over on the clip so the main sequence shows through

or use the compositing nodes

Why can I not just do it interactively in the Sequencer? This is an incredibly basic feature in programs like After Effects and Premier… I am scratching my head as to why the devs would omit such an incredibly basic feature…

because blender isn’t aftereffects. its a modelling program that happens to include a sequencer

Yes I think that after gsoc we should really make a large push to revamp the sequencer. I find myself using it more and more these days and while it can do some amazing stuff it can be extremely complex at times or difficult and somewhat buggy.

actually, using a black background would be a pretty bad idea unless one is indeed seeking such a backdrop for titles/credits/whatever.
Straight alpha will give you the needed transparency to use with the alpha over blending mode you mention.

+1*10^infinity and beyond!!!
:slight_smile:

I am scratching my head as to why the devs would omit such an incredibly basic feature…

<impolite mode on>
I’m also scratching my head as to why the heck you’re asking this question.
Blender is open source, remember? Need a feature? Code it!
Unable to code? Enlist help (raise funds, hire developers etc)
<impolite mode off>

You’re right that such an elementary feature is not directly (repeat: directly) available in the sequencer the way you’d expect it to be if you’re coming from other NLEs but once you realize how much you could do with text in the compositor you’ll have a… heart attack!!! :slight_smile:

And I ain’t exaggerating. You’ve got to see it to believe it.
So is this feature available directly? Nope!
Can you replicate it and – more importantly – do much more than use pre-made effects with absolute control? Hell yes! :slight_smile:

So… to run it through the compositor would I have to render the video and import it back into Blender? Or can I send the work from the sequencer straight to the compositor?

I’m struggling to find your point…

yep, that’s the idea: create the text in 3D, apply effects in the compositor and render it out so that it can be imported as a strip in the sequencer

Or can I send the work from the sequencer straight to the compositor?

that’s also possible through an addon though I wouldn’t recommend it in this case.

my point is that your comparing two different types of software and wondering why they dont have similar features, you might as well complain that aftereffects is rubbish because it doesnt allow you to make games. blenders sequencer is there to aliow you to take your modelled creations and edit them into a watchable movie, as such it is pretty basic because all the FX that you would find in AE/Hit Film etc as presets are hand crafted and polished before they are even aware of the sequencer!

it could be better and less buggy but its not that hard to use, unlike AE which i find to be a royal PItA!

actually, using a black background would be a pretty bad idea unless one is indeed seeking such a backdrop for titles/credits/whatever.
Straight alpha will give you the needed transparency to use with the alpha over blending mode you mention.

i didnt know you could do that. i always use the method of saving png alpha. i don’t even know how you would render with straight alpha!

Well I just run another scene with 3D view in a floating window for text or other keyable elements. I drop that scene strip on the master scene timeline and can play in realtime with GLSL render type. Or I can forego the realtime and send the text through the compositor even layering the background vision using the addon VSE to Compositor. There are some great text effect addons too and Blender’s built in text handling isn’t too shabby either. It’s just not very intuitive.

The sequencer is supposed to give blenderheads an alternative to Premier. It is supposed to do the same thing, to a degree.

Adding a text strip is such a basic feature, it’s like omitting subdivision surfaces from the 3D section of Blender.

It would be like someone arguing ‘so what’ if Blender had no subdivision, whereas Max did. Yeah, Blender doesn’t have to do everything Max does, but if it is missing such unbelievably basic functionality…

Yeah I’m trying to figure out that workflow in my head… any tuts you can recommend on this?

If you don’t like Blender’s VSE, here’s ten other video editors for under 100 USD:

Otherwise, blendercomp makes the most relevant points.

what? where does anything anywhere compare blenders vse to premier? I’m sorry this is going to sound rude but, thats just dumb. premier is a dedicated editing engine, stop trying to compare non similar programs, its like your saying blender should be equally competitive with every adobe product out there when adobe isnt even the target market.there will be issues with audio strips not being as fantasic as Audition next, and using 3ds max for your counter argument is illogical because 3ds is the one of the programs blender is competing with, and doing a damn fine job of it too.

Well it does render a timecode overlay with notes now. It would have been nice to place that existing function into a strip.

Ok so I made a quick tutorial that outlines my suggested workflow. I think that it is quite straightforward and can be very flexible. But I have only illustrated the basics here.

Not it doesn’t, you musn’t have used Premier. The VSE and Premier behave very similarly. Whether one is a dedicated package or not is wholly irrelevant. The VSE is supposed to allow us to edit video and do some light post stuff to it. The exact same purpose of Premier. The VSE and Premier were coded for the exact same purpose; however the VSE is missing some extremely basic and fundamental functionality that really, it shouldn’t.

Judging by your argument, Cycles shouldn’t necessarily have global illumination like VRay does, because Cycles is not a dedicated package. But that is complete nonsense, because an un-biased renderer should have this basic feature, whether in a dedicated program or a tool in a much broader functioning program.

Your argument simply does not make sense.

Many thanks for the tut 3point, I’ll have a look at it now.