Help needed! Thanks!

Hello!

An aspiring 3d modeler here who got interested about the subject while browsing through the works of
other people in Cities: Skylines. I have no experience of 3d modeling so most likely all special terms etc will fly right out the other ear.

I already made a rough model of a building that I would like to import to Cities: Skylines and even managed to get the model in the game (after experiencing some problems of course).

But I can’t seem to find a way to carry the paintjob that I did with Blender to carry over to the game, the model just stays white.

I think the key might be with UV mapping but I have no clue how any of that works.

The file has been attached to the post.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

näsinneula.blend (591 KB)

Is nobody able to help? :confused:

First of all: great to have you on board!

With “painting job” you refer to the different materials you applied, I guess. Be aware that “painting” is more commonly used when talking about painting texures…
But anyways: unfortunately (or fortunately?) everything is correct in your blend file what means that either the game does not support multiple materials (then you need to bake them to your object) or that something went wrong while exporting.

Which format do you use for exchanging the object(s)?

UV mapping (also referred as UV-unwrapping) is only needed if you want to work with textures (you current project does not make any use of it). Here is some information about UV mapping (if you are interested in): https://www.blender.org/manual/editors/uv_image/texturing/unwrapping.html.

Thanks for answering Luke! Yes, by paintjob I mean the materials. Hmm… Could you guide me through the process of baking the materials into an object?

I am using FBX format for exporting.

Thanks in advance!

Okay. Actually I never did this before in blender internal - but I think I understood it :slight_smile: The process is a little bit complicated, but anyway…

Baking the materials mean baking the surface to a texture - and therefore our first step is to UV-unwrap the model.

• To do so, select your tower, go into edit mode and press “u”. The option"smart UV protect" will suit fine for our case.
  • Then split your view and choose for the new window the UV editor. In there you will see something like this:

this is your UV map.

To bake the materials to a texture we need to create the texture first.

• Therefore click “new” in the bottom menu bar of the UV map editor. Choose a descriptive name (e.g. “bake”). You can increase the resolution (common sizes are 1024, 2048 or 4096), but i think 1024 will work fine (and will need less computation time).

Since baking even calculates shadow and light, we need to light the model uniformly.

• To achieve this, we delete all lamps and then go to the world tab and check “environment lighting”
  • Then, with your object still selected in edit mode, go to the render tab, scroll down to the bottom and open the bake tab.
  • Hit bake.

After some seconds you will get something like this in your UV image editor:

• Save this texture (click image/save as image in the bottom menu bar of the UV editor) somewhere on your hard drive.
  • Then duplicate your object and remove all materials of the new object.
  • Create a new material (name it “bake” or so), go to the textures panel, click new, and open your baked image in the image panel.
  • Use this object for exporting.

Here is a modified version of your file where I went through the process:näsinneula_(bake).blend (1.04 MB)

Hope that works for you, if you run into any problem(s), reply!

Thank you so much Luke! :slight_smile:

Hmm, I tried to export it to the game but it still appears as white, but I think it makes sense since the object is still gray as well in blender. Am I supposed to do something to the object after this step (before exporting):

“Create a new material (name it “bake” or so), go to the textures panel, click new, and open your baked image in the image panel.”

Should I do something to the object before exporting it? It’s still grey in Blender, so doesn’t that mean its the same color in game?

It is grey since we applied only one material and we are in solid view mode. If you change to textured mode, it should look like the tower with different materials.

Exporting and importing the tower (in blender) works for me, it shows up with the texture…
Make sure that you

• open/apply the texture in blender while the texture file is saved in the same directory as the blend file
  • copied the bake-image in the same folder as your exported fbx-file (common mistake)

Hey Guys… this Thread seems to be perfect.
I am also new at Blender … but despite watching many YouTube tutorials, i still fail in Importing my Models into Citis Scylines. … i was messing now for some weeks, having the following results:

In 1 of 10 Cases i am able to Import my Cube into CS and using it. I even can make a House out of this cube, and it works fine.
But in 9 of 10 Cases i am not able to Import the Cube. … Well it gets listed in CS, but when i click it, it is empty (as seen on my Image) .
[ATTACH=CONFIG]446060[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]446061[/ATTACH]

I wonder what i am doing wrong … the Origin is bottom centered, the Scale between 50 and 500 and the Material i use is a blanc one, freshly generated.

It is just so random , i am not able to figure out why in most cases it doesnt work. :S
2 Days ago it was working again,… maybe due to Fullmoon, … but now it doesnt (though i do everything same)

… it is really frustrating :frowning: … but as an Amateur i can’t see the Problem … maybe you can.

greetings from Austria

Attachments

Hey Guys… this Thread seems to be perfect.
I am also new at Blender … but despite watching many YouTube tutorials, i still fail in Importing my Models into Citis Scylines. … i was messing now for some weeks, having the following results:

In 1 of 10 Cases i am able to Import my Cube into CS and using it. I even can modell a House out of this cube, and it imports it fine.
But in 9 of 10 Cases i am not able to Import the Cube. … Well it gets listed in CS, but when i click it, it is empty (as seen on my Image) .

I wonder what i am doing wrong , as seen below, the origin is bottom centered, the Scale between 50 and 500 and the Material i use is a blanc one, freshly generated.

It is just so random , i am not able to figure out why in most cases it doesnt work. :S
2 Days ago it was working again (maybe due to Fullmoon) , … but now it doesnt (though i did everything the same)

… it is really fustrating :frowning: … but as an Amateur i can’t see the Problem … maybe you can.

greetings from Austria btw :slight_smile:

Have you actually taken alook here?
Object sizes, material, texture name conventions?

"The System Units of the modeling software should be set to metric with 1 unit = 1 meters.
Keep in mind that buildings in the editor are on a grid system called cells. Each cell is 8m x 8m. (See the section ‘Buildings > General’ for the max building cell sizes)

It is important for the model to be one single object with no hierarchy. It is also important for the model to use a single material, otherwise it will be split in sub-meshes and will fail to display parts of it.

Generally the buildings use 1024x1024 texture maps, or 1024x512 if the building is small or simple.

The material for Buildings supports up to 6 textures, each needs to use the same filename as the FBX file with a texture type suffix. All main model textures have to have the same resolution. "

You wont be able to get the intricacies of the Full Moon without some rtfm ;).

Hui … sry for the doubble posting :slight_smile:

Thx for the response,… i tried once again and finally, finally i could create something :eek: :smiley:

Hey,… may i ask something else?
It’s about Polygons… in CS they always talk about triangles.
But in Blender my Polys are squares.

I try to make this cliff wall. Right now it is 64 x 64 Squares in both directions. Giving the whole thing around 4000 Squares.
Does this count for 8000 Triangles? … i dont want to get high-poly.
I did not find an answer in the CS manual, so i thaught i d ask.