[05 august]Sculpt mode win(08/05)/mac(07/29)/linux(08/05)

Hello, new builds windows, MacOsx provide by devroo and Linux by Meltdown

Remove all thing before 16 july, text is too long :wink:

List of hotkeys:
N : open sculpt panel on view3D
Ctrl+Tab : enable selecting brush menu
D : enable interactive size choosing
Page Up : go to one level higher
Page Down : go to one level lower
Shift : change between add/sub when sculpting

What’s new since 20 july :
- Adding missing break to code for floating panels to prevent multires from being shown when preview was activated.

• Fixed bug with grab brush that was causing sudden spikes in perspective view
  • Added new view rotation for sculptmode; if the PvRot button in the header of a view3D is turned on, then the rotating the view will use the last brush location as the center of rotation.
  • Added GHOST X11 support for XInput devices (tablets). Interface is in place for other operating systems, but only X11 is implemented.
  • Changed partial mesh visibility tool so that Ctrl+Shift+LMB hides everything outside the selection, and Ctrl+Shift+RMB hides everything inside the selection.

What’s new since 21:
- Tablet commit broke grab brush; fixed

• Merged Matt Ebb’s MacOS tablet patch. (Note that I haven’t compiled the changes, so there may be some problems, initially.)
  • Fixed stupid pointer-type error with multires/partial mesh visibility
  • Added edge map for partial mesh visibility to allow setting multires edge level with PMV activated

What’s new since 22:
- Patch for Mac OS eraser support (Matt Ebb)

• Shift key now toggles between add/sub
  • Decreased smooth brush’s strength scaling factor.

What’s new since 23:
- Added types and intial import of dverts. Doesn’t actually do anything yet.

• Updated to latest Blender CVS (release 2.42)
  • Updated the way the brush circle is drawn (fixes problem of buttons not being clickable in sculptmode), also updated the interactive brush-size set, escape/RMB to cancel, return/LMB to accept.
  • Massive reduction in memory usage when rendering a mesh with multires enabled
  • Added Ctrl+Tab menu for switching brush in sculptmode
  • Added left and right bracket keys as shortcuts for multires level incr/decr.

What’s new since 25 july:
- Added proper undo in multires for adding and deleting levels

• Allow partially-hidden meshes to be saved and loaded properly.
  • Sculptmode brush circle shouldn’t be drawn in editmode
  • Seperated texture/color data from MultiresFace; if neither texture nor color is used with multires, it will use less memory.

What’s new since 26 july:
- Fixed MSVC compilation bug and a memory leak

• Generalized the depth buffer code in retopo so that other tools (such as sculptmode) can make use of it. (Hopefully didn’t break anything in retopo.)
  • Sculptmode now makes use of depth buffer cache; makes it easier to sculpt a continuous stroke without the stroke building up on itself.
  • Fix for international keyboards: shortcut keys for multires level switching are now page up/down
  • Modified brush drawing so that when not sculpting but sculptmode is active, the brush doesn’t get slower as the model becomes more dense.

What’s new since 27 july:

• Modified sculptmode to use partial redraw rather than redrawing the entire mesh. This should improve sculpting speed, especially with smaller brushes. Note that there are some visual artifacts produced by this new method (lines and dots appear around the edge of the brush)
  • View depth shouldn’t be updated in object mode

What’s new since 28 july:
- Time-consuming multires operations now show a wait cursor

• Improvements for partial mesh visibility: small memory leak fixed, undo/redo support, waitcursor
  • View should be redrawn on entering sculptmode to get depth data
  • Improved partial redraw for sculptmode by clearing the color buffer along with the depth buffer; this is needed when the boundary of the model is pulled inwards
  • Buffer clearing for sculptmode’s partial redraw should be clipped to curarea->winrct
  • Removed some of the visual artifacting with partial redraw
  • For meshes with a modifier applied and when using the grab brush, the old drawing method is now used.

What’s new since 29 july :

• Depths should be recalculated after damaging them by view rotation
  • Fixed a crash with partial mesh visibility, also added triangle/quad check to PMV face reordering

what’s new since 30 july :

• Added layer brush
  • Added Alt+Hkey as a shortcut to unhide the mesh in sculptmode
  • Zero out all the sculptdata; potential fix for the Windows sculptmode bug

What’s new since 02 august :
- Initial commit of displacement-map generator. It’s not accessable from the interface yet.

• Fixed a couple missing statements for the layer brush (undo and Ctrl+tab menu)
  • Updated tablet code.

What’s new since 05 august:
- Initial commit of new retopo paint tools. Note that there’s still no automatic face generation.

What’s new since 06 august:

• Improved sculptmode initialization.
  • Fixed XRay drawing
  • Adding vertices in the new retopo paint mode should select them
  • Added automatic face generation to the retopo paint mode
  • Initialize sculptmode for all scenes when loading files from 2.42 or less

What’s new since 07 august:
- Fix for making a View3D fullscreen, then not fullscreen, while in sculptmode.

• Fix for undo in sculptmode (hopefully it won’t break things under Windows again)
  • Improved depth adjustment system for retopo paint
  • Better handling for retopo paint line intersections
  • Allow retopo paint lines to be extended
  • Fixed a corner case with automatic face generation.
  • Merge retopo paint intersections when they get close
  • Removed the ability for lines to be self-intersecting. Using the new option to make lines cyclic seems to offer most of the same functionality, but better.

What’s new since 08 august :
- Set propset for sculptmode to zero when loading files

• Added ellipse tool to retopo paint
  • Bugfix for extending retopo paint lines
  • Additional fixes for cyclic lines
  • Additional bugfixes for adding points in retopo paint mode

What’s new since 10 august :

• Allow rotating/moving/zooming the view while in retopo paint mode. Note that this feature isn’t very useful (yet), because all line intersections are calculated from the viewpoint at the moment when Enter is pressed.
  • Don’t crash when displaying the multires floating panel with a non-mesh object selected
  • Large set of changes to retopo paint, largely to make it easier to extend and improve the tool. There’s a proper interface now (the view3d header changes to show retopo tools (ignore Line for right now, doesn’t yet do anything.).) Also fixed a memory leak and made some general fixes.

What’s new since 11 august :

• Added line tool for retopo paint; cleaned a bunch of stuff up

What’s new since 12 august :
- Added two sliders to retopo paint that control how many segments make up ellipses and lines

• For retopo paint, ignore clicks inside the window header
  • Fixed rendering bug when using multires and sculptmode
  • Added a tile option for brush textures (for use with tilable images; doesn’t work particularly well with procedurals)

What’s new since 13 august :
- Added new 3D tiling mode (works well with procedural textures.) Note: the defaults for the new options may not be set correctly in previously-saved files (including .B.blend) so to use this, make sure you set the new X/Y/Z texture sliders to around 1.

• Update wireframe while in sculptmode. Obviously, drawing faces+wireframes isn’t quite as fast as just drawing faces, but if performance is an issue, just turn off Wire.

What’s new since 15 august:
- Large set of changes to retopo paint mode. Basically, it is now actually modifying editmode data, rather than leaving editmode to make the changes, then returning after the changes are complete. Mostly, this should be an invisible change from the user perspective; the exception being that undo/redo should now work properly with retopo paint mode.

What’s new since 18 august :
- Redraw view header on exiting retopo paint; when leaving editmode while retopo paint is enabled, ask user to apply or cancel the paint

• Force mesh to be drawn in Solid mode when in sculptmode, similar to other paint modes
  • Fixed a crash in sculptmode
  • Added spacing option to brush to make regular patterns on a model (e.g. rivets)

What’s new since 20 august:
- Added the retopo paint face generator to regular edit mode; pressing FKey with 5 or more verts selected now offers the choice to make or clear an FGon, as well as ‘Auto’, which fills in the edges with triangles and quads where possible.

• Set the smooth/solid propety properly when auto creating multiple faces
  • Fixed small memory leak with retopo paint undo

Downloads :

Windows (2006/08/24) : for windows
Linux (2006/08/05) : blender test build i586 glibc-2.3.5 - 080506

Aw, finally get to test it out for mac… !

It makes me feel like the early days of Zbrush, So I know it is very much in a wip progress.

Do you have plans on micro poly displacement mapping? That would get realy diny details in the mesh view without having to actually depend on the mesh to have a huge poly count. And would skyrocket to use of the tool 400%

Basic idea would be , standard push and pull of the real mesh but switch to a subpoly fake brush to paint in details as an image map that displays fake mesh details in the 3d view… Basicly normal map view, so the poly count can be tiny while the details level can be crazy

youngbacat

for that blenders internal renderer needs to support true displacement rendering. but i have heared that Ton is actualy thinking on that because he mentioned to include REYES in blender.

In my opinion that is the way to go anyway. they created subdivs to eleminate the hassle of animating a bunsh of polygones. and true displacement will eleminate that as well. increasing the mesh count to render fine details will bring us back where we have been some years ago.

My mac version isnt running at all, wont even start up…

Would be nice if we could parent a low level multires mesh to an armature to animate it easy and render the full high level multires, to get the nice displacements :wink:

mandorag,
did you instal python 2.4? tahst why it doesnt run here on my university mac.

Caronte, thats quite true but imagine how difficult it must be with weightpainting? you link the low res polys to the bone. the higres than need to to somehow interpolated to fit the movements.

i am not sure if that is even possible!

It is.
I don’t know/think it’s part of the scope of this project, but would be cool. still, it begs the question:
how will we rig our multirez meshes? perhaps we will have to “collapse” them first…

Err it would just be texture maps so it would work the same as any other texture map and animate without any changes

First, for Linux users: I have a build ready, but it’s not yet uploaded. (Slow connection.) There’ll be a link to it in this thread once it’s ready.

youngbatcat - regarding getting more detail without a crazy amount of polygons, I’m always looking for ways to do that, but there’s no simple solution. Unless something unexpected happens, micro poly displacement mapping, or other techniques to accomplish the same thing, probably won’t happen during this summer.

Now, some good news about animating: my latest commit adds a couple new options to control the way modifiers are rendered with multires. Since armatures are modifiers, you can now rig a multires mesh. (Note that vertex groups don’t work yet, so you basically have to use the bone envelope to control the bone’s area of influence.)

The process works like this: you set up the mesh and armature as normal. In the multires panel, set the Render slider to the level you want to render at (similar to subsurf.) Now set the Pin slider to the level you want to armature applied to. (Usually, Pin will be at level 1 or 2, and Render will be at the highest level.)

A few more notes: this feature also works with other modifiers that only deform vertices. (For example, Lattice and Wave both work.) Modifiers that alter the mesh topology (like subsurf and mirror) will not work. If any of them are on the modifier stack, multires will silently fail, and the render will use whatever the Pin slider is set to.

Macosx version updated…

Where in the Multires panel are the Pin and Render sliders found.
Only see the Display edge slider.

For what system? my compilation on windows have this, normally Mac too, don’t know for linux

I think the version in the 10 July folder is pointing to the 9 July version.

Please can you release the 10 July?

I’m also using Windows.

corrected : http://blendertestbuilds.de/index.php?dir=Testbuilds/SOC2006/Sculpt_CW/Windows/20060710/

Where can we put a hand on src? is there a CVS for this project?
I would like to make my linux compil’

thanks

Salut Coltseavers, look to http://mediawiki.blender.org/index.php/BlenderDev/SummerOfCode2006CVS

If you have a linux build can you put the url here, more we have fresh compilation, more we can help Nicholas.

Merci LG :slight_smile:
No problem, i’ll put my “tarball” online.

nicholas, are you planing to integrate your work with the new modifier stack being developed by ben?

thanks for evrything, bye :slight_smile:

That’s what I was talking about :smiley:

Thanks, Thanks, Thanks.

P.D: Thi’s a better way than using normalmaps to get the same results :wink:

when i make a render in a high level dont work the smooth…

i think is a bug …

sorry my english.!