Self Portrait (Now with hairy apeman dude)

Latest render.

>>>>

Hey guys

Well here goes my very first human face. My front guide photo is off, I need to replace it as my face is distorted in it.

On my mesh the eyes are completely off, especially the inside corners, and the bridge of the nose is too thin.

I did a skin test with two, its actually skin from my cheek, but its just a test anyway. The material on the last pic is the “Simple skin” downloaded from the repository. My version will have my own created textures.

My plan is to have the basic “me” done, and then make different versions and themes:

1. Fight-Club theme
  2. Elf theme (yeh its been done so many times but I wanna give it a shot)
  3. Grunge/Gothic

Comments always appreciated guys, but only if you wanna:D
Len

Attachments

uh…photo?

Done, thanks Framedworld.

Hey nice start. If you raise the eyes up a bit you can get more realistic looking face.
http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/4038/me01cm1.jpg
Keep up the goodwork
Giangmatric

Two more skin tests. The skin is the procedural material from the repository, I just upped the bumps a bit. A combination of Subsurface Scattering Skin 2 (scaled down to 0.041 I think), colour to zero, and Ambient Occlusion 5 samples with Sky Colour enabled. One slightly yellow spotlight.

Next time when I post I should have the whole head modelled … I hope!

Attachments

Hey Giangmatrix, well spotted, thanks for your feedback, I didn’t notice it, its because of my reference photo, I tried to compensate by pushing the nose higher while I modelled, but I forgot to pull it back down :smiley:

Thanks man! I’m gonna fix-up those eyes as soon as possible. I think they’re too wide as well.

Man, this is ALOT of work. Almost finished with modelling, just tweaking some more. I used a new front reference as well. I’m not too happy with the outside of the eyes yet, I’m thinking the eyeballs might me too big, not sure.

Attachments

the lip needs to be more asymmetrical. other than that the item is lovely

Hmm… the chin needs to be bigger.

AWESOME work, btw…:eek:

Hmm, i always thought of doing a self-portrait in Blender.
Your modelling is really good, the mesh is clean and the loops are fine.
But about the portrait itself there are a couple of things that doesnt match with your referemce photo. The eyes are the most noticable ones. They are closer together than your own. They are also a tad big. I’d say that the nose is spot on, except for the fast that it is symmetrical, but i think you should finish the model pretty much before making it assymetrical. The mouth is also pretty good. Only thing with it is that the upper lip is a bit thin and lacks volume, this is pretty obvious in side view. It doesnt need much but just to inflate it a little. Even if your upper lip is thin in real it still isnt flat.
Keep up the great work and dont get let down by my boring criticism!

http://uploader.polorix.net//files/434/Len_Paintover.jpg

OK, i made a quick paintover.
I dont know how well you can see it what i’ve painted over.
What i spotted:

• Eyes, scale them down a little bit and move a bit apart. Put some more fat in the holes around your eyes. The eyebrow should have a more rounded shape, instead of just sloping down and it should be a little wider. This is visible from the paintover.
    The bottom of the eyesocket should be lifted up, especially on the right side.

• Facial Shape, Well the face in blender is a lot taller than your face actually is. Also the head should have a little more volume.

• Nose, the nose didnt have anything to crit on at all at first but when i did the paintover i realised that your nostrils should be a little wider and the front end of nostril should be lifted up. The nose bone (the one that goes up by your brow) should be a little higher as well.

• Mouth, The mouth is good except for the upper lip which i already mentioned.The gap between the nose and the upper lip is too long. The chin should be moved up a little and a little bigger.

I also painted out the hairline, you might find that useful later.
Good luck!

Hey guys …

Framedworld: Thanks hey, will have a look at it thanks Framedworld. Just need to apply mirror mod first.

BumpyMonkey: Thanks dude, I’ll have a look at the chin as you suggested.

Juggler: Hehe, I was going to start texturing this weekend until I saw your post (via my cellphone/mobile phone) and decided to wait until today so I could view your paintover (which I couldn’t see on my cell). Thanks so much for your in-depth crits and all your effort Juggler! I really appreciate it hey. I’m going to have a look at everything you mentioned and hopefully finish my model tonight. It’s so easy to miss alot of things when one’s been staring at the same thing for hours on end and the things you pointed out (and Framedworld & BumpyMonkey also) will be very helpful, thanks!

You must give it a go! However I won’t be doing it again soon:D, next time I’ll use a nice generic face that neither I or anyone else knows, I get too self-critical :smiley: And I noticed little odd bumps and shapes about my own face which I never even knew existed!:smiley:

Nice work!

Mr. Bomb’s school? :wink:

Aye indeed!:smiley: Thanks Nebular.

Well guys, I did everything you suggested I do and it’s perfect! It looks just like me, the resemblance is uncanny! :smiley:

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h215/Rufty/03.jpg

Hehe, just kidding obviously :smiley: I did this in about 10 minutes having fun with my 6 year old. Please do not crit! :no:

Here’s an update on the proper one. I’m gona call it now and stop pulling vertices. I’ll just tweak a bit more after applying the mirror modifier.

Let’s see …I widened the head slightly, gave more fat to the cheecks, shaped the lips a bit better, eyeball smaller, eyes further appart, indent above mouth and below nose slimmer, brow a bit wider and rounder, hmmm, and I few other things I can’t remember. Didn’t do much to the nose, I don’t trust my front reference, used my mirror instead. :wink:

Any last minute comments welcome guys, I’m starting texturing tonight – the model is close enough I think, I don’t wanna waste much more time on it.

Attachments

lookin’ good my friend.

wow, you nailed the eyes

Great work!
Keep it up man. :slight_smile:

Definately! Great improvement there!
I can’t wait to see the textures now, the model is very accurate.
Also, it’s nice to hear that you got your 6 year old into blender, i’m sure i couldnt do subd. modelling when i was six!! Does anyone now where you can get XXS sized Vrooom! jackets?

Where the hell you took my photo?! :ba:

Looks great so far.