10 Cubes 2023 - #9 - Agony - The long walk home

After missing the last bus.

Although that bus wouldn’t have got very far as there were only enough cubes for one wheel. :grin:

6 Likes

Haha, the body posture says it all.

Nice job with the motion blur, that definitely helps to sell the scene.

Had this one in mind too. Thought of red taillights. But the MB is a nice move!

Once I knew the subject and that took a while to decide; I didn’t want another minor injury. Having the back of the bus vanishing into the distance certainly came to mind but it felt a bit static. The next version had the figure running but that only made sense if the bus was moving hence the motion blur. Not having enough cubes for knees it gave the right impression but looked stiff.

Then I thought of the moment when having just made a world record beating run and still missed the bus, you stop to catch your breath and realise that you now have the two hour walk home in the freezing cold with no chance of a pee. Oh the agony.

Fortunately I’d only saved the final version once, I was albe to recover the running man version from the .blend1 file.

1 Like

Totally agree - the first one with the exausted man is superior.

And that one is using the most dynamic run pose I could find and I tried a few before switching to the exhausted/dejected pose; even that would have benefitted from knees.

Aster you mentioned it I had another think about the back of the bus in the distance.

Still ten cubes and a shadow catcher ground plane, stole the bus wheel for the pavement. A z gradient world shader that’s only visible to camera rays so it didn’t illuminate the bus. Three extra lights to “Paint” the back of the bus and made the foreground light into one of those yellow low pressure sodium street lights to emphasise the bus window. Swapped the motion blur for depth of field.

The first version needed a lot less rule bending.