10 Cubes Challenge final wrap up!

Congratulations everyone, we made it!

You all did a great job and I absolutely loved seeing every single submission. I loved seeing people adhere strictly to the rules, I loved seeing creative bending of the rules, and I loved seeing blatant disregard for the rules.

If you submitted even one piece, you are a winner in my book. You made art, and that is all that matters. I’m still working out the details, but I am working on a surprise for all of you, stay tuned for more info. I also have an immediate gift for you: If at any point in this process, you wished you had just one or two more cubes, You are now granted an unlimited license to use as many cubes as you want. Go back and take one of your pieces to the next level, you’ve got a fantastic selection of concepts to play with.

8 Likes

I do have some special shout outs to some select people. The list below is all of the people who made their very first post in this challenge:

@Atsue952
@GrimbornWolf
@Azzassfa
@Sheila
@XTech
@Ege_elemec
@Claptrik
@KAMRAN_RAMZAN
@Othman_Ben
@BBkuro

… to be continued! (I can only mention 10 users in a post, which I guess is appropriate for the 10 cubes challenge)

4 Likes

Here are the additional new users that joined us:

@AmzD
@Thomas_Tovar
@FirstPage
@SqrDotStr

Welcome all! Feel free to stick around and play with us some more :slight_smile:

This next list is users who haven’t posted in a while:
@Kaden_Shaw - 4mo
@Levito - 7mo
@Gregor1 - 8mo
@Jon_Ilo - 9mo
@Udayan - 9mo
@Gekitsuu - 9mo

… to be continued!

1 Like

Here are the additional lurkers that joined us:

@Luxx_pa - 11mo
@Abayerle1 - 2y
@Le_Pirate - 3y
@Mikalus - 4y
@Finalglide - 13y (!)

Welcome back! don’t be shy, you all posted wonderful art, and I hope to see you around more (but I do have a special place in my heart for lurkers as well, if being social really isn’t your jam, then an extra special thanks for showing up and playing with us for the past month :slight_smile: )

2 Likes

And one last list - these users posted for all (or almost all) of the prompts. No shade/shame on anyone who just did a couple prompts (you still win at art!) but Congrats to those who stuck with it all month long:

@Meshmonkey
@Drachensturm
@Atsue952
@Dnorman
@Jon.c
@Finalglide
@Caz747
@Sempervirent
@Luxx_pa
@CAE-ID

I love that there were 10 users that completed the 10 prompts for the 10 cubes challenge.

Once again, it was truly an honor to host this challenge. I am humbled to be in the presence of so many talented artists. I would love to do this again next year, if there is interest. Thank you so much for playing along, and I encourage all of you to take your favorite 10 cubes piece and run with it, with no rules at all! :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Also also: If you have any feedback about how things went (positive or negative), I would love to hear it. Feel free to PM me, or post here.

3 Likes

Well… you can’t rush these things. If I work out what triggered me to do this challenge I may have to do another one. Happy New Year.

2 Likes

Thanks for hosting this, it was good fun. The challenges, and lack of cubes, were a real trigger to make me look at creating a low poly image in a whole new way.
Great work but all who took part.

2 Likes

I loved participating in this cool challenge. The tight cuboid budget pushed me to reduce things to their very essence in a way I never considered before. As simple as “make something out of 10 cuboids” may seem, I learned a lot from these challenges. Especially when playing with intersecting cuboids and the contours and shadows they produce one can get a long way. Thanks for hosting this lovely initiative @SterlingRoth !

4 Likes

For me it was more than just creating nice pictures. I mobilized myself to create something almost every day. I hope this habit stays with me to some extent. Thank you @SterlingRoth! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks for this challenge ive never made anything in blender or shown anyone the results prior to it, it gave me the elbow in the ribs i needed to learn some things instead of blankly staring at a grey cube lol

5 Likes

Just look at all the things that grey cube can be!

3 Likes

This challenge has been great fun.
I have the tendency to just model things with no real goal and only think of composition as placing the camera.

It has made me think about 2 extremely important aspects I do not usually take into consideration,

composition and theme-story. What do I want so say and how to visually present it.

Limiting the modelling aspect forces you to to think about how to convey your ideas.

Congratulations to all that have participated.

4 Likes

Tada!
https://blenderartists.org/badges/127/10-cubes-challenge-2022

A special badge to commemorate participation in this years 10 cubes challenge! Thanks for making it such a big success!

8 Likes

Woohoooo! :rofl:

1 Like

Hi, I found this forum today, while I was browsing, I found this task, I decided that it was interesting and creative, I tried to complete it, only Motherland in Kyiv came to mind, and I tried to reproduce it from 10 cubes. How do you like the results?

2 Likes

Welcome!

It’s lovely, thanks for sharing!

1 Like

I’m a little late, but I can’t help but share my concept painting