$100+ Job- Custom Shader Node: Light Color to Shader Color

Blender/Python Programmer needed to create a Custom Shader Node

I require a custom shader node that takes color information from a specified light object and propogates it out to nodes like Mix Color, BSDF Base Color, etc.

I managed to achieve this on my own through drivers and it worked, but it was not an efficient workflow. I need to be able to connect multiple shaders directly to a light object, often throughout linked scenes.

The node should be able to select a specific light, and work when the material and light are from different (linked) scenes. In other words, if I have a scene with a sun light, and I link an object with said material node into the scene with the sun light, the two should be able to work together.

This shader node should be compatible with Blender 4.0

Price is flexible. DM me with a reasonable quote.
Showing me it works (via posted video) moves you to the front of the line.

So… this can’t be done through Python. What you’re looking for is a custom build of Blender with a new node added in C++ and then compiled. Are you sure drivers don’t work for you?

I misspoke, here you go:

The sun is blue and the cube is blue with this attribute node:

Just use an attribute node with objects["Sun"].data.color as the Name, and View Layer as the type. I’ll DM you my PayPal :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Perhaps a compromise then? A script that automates the driver process with a couple of clicks, rather than going in and creating individual drivers for each color channel?

It seems trivial, but only when you’re doing it once. If you’re connecting multiple materials/shaders, it becomes quite cumbersome very quickly, and I’m an artist, not a programmer. And the projects I’m talking about are large scale, large scope, so anything to simplify and automate the process is key.

See my edit- what you want exists and is simple to use

That’s awesome. Let me replicate it over here, and I’ll get your particulars.

And now for the truly stupid question- how the hell do I DM you? Just got on blenderartists.org today.

Dope, glad it works.
Here’s an example of switching between a blue light and a pink light with two Attribute nodes:
65d5f29c99e0bd01247cffeb62896134 (2)

As for DMs- you’ll have a green message icon on your profile picture, on the top right of the site. Click that and you’ll see a message from me :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.