16x upscaling

hey

I was told that there is a program that does 16x upscaling of images.
Does anyone have a link?

the quality is good ?
Does it have the same quality as Topaz Labs - Gigapixel, which magnifies by 6x?

which one do you recommend?

thanks

Here you go, not even one, but many of them:

hey

you said :
Here you go, not even one, but many of them:

What do you mean by that ?

thanks

Hi,

I meant that in the link that I have provided, you could find more than 1 app. for upscaling images up to 16x.

You already used ?
Are the ones that increase 16x good?

which one do you recommend ?

thanks

Unfortunately, I can’t answear this question since I didn’t work with any of those tools except GIMP & Photoshop, so I suppose that, maybe, these two softwares could have helped you with what you want.

Also, you could even try to upscale your image via online tools. Just Google something like “upscale image online”, and you’re good to go.

Are the results of these expansions reliable?

thanks

Sometimes i wonder…

Why not ask the original teller ?

Also: like everything else… reliability in sense of usablility depends on the context. So you might simply try. Even if you say somethign about your context then any reply can be a not fitting advice.

If you mean something different… why do you rely on something someone else tells you ? :thinking: …well… i ask this in the first place…

On the other hand:
Upscaling can not add details which are not really in the image… it’s just a “guess”… :person_shrugging:

Upscale uses AI.
Some things seem fine, but not all have good results. :slightly_smiling_face:

The free “Upscayl” also allows up to 16x upscaling.
Just check the “Double Upscayl” setting.
But using this can take some time.

4x was always enough for me.
As for quality, it’s free so you can decide for yourself.

Here the Link:

I guess @oo_1942 was right. Nowadays it is more relevent to use exactly AI solutions, since they could give you a way more better result than just regular software.

It’s not a big deal, just give it a try. First try AI solutions and see if the result satisfies your needs or not. If it’s not, try out the regular software.

1 Like

Do these AI enlargement programs also reduce the size of images without loss?

thanks

If you think about this question… you should come to the conclusion that this make no sense at all.

Upscaling… → adding something
Size reduction… → deleting almost unseeable detail… up to deleting details beyond recognition.

3 Likes

I didn’t understand .

Does soft reduce size with quality or not?

thank you again

Upscaling does make the image bigger… what part of this do you not understand ?

Upscaling ans size reduction opposite goals…

Its a completely different topic. Upscalers have to “fill” pixels where there is no image information there in the first place, so its interpolating, extrapolating or guessing.

Image compression is an independent topic. Its about how many bytes do you need to represent the image. With or without compression. With lossy or lossless compression. Its not relevant for the upscaling itself. So the answer you get is arbitrary and its good ifl they dont simply use a lossy compression, its better if upscaler gives you a giant uncompressed image you can then compress it with a tool and method of your choice.

Btw AI tools are trained for specific usecases, they have varying quality, especially with high magnifying factors. Depending on what you want a classic approach can give you much more consistent quality results.

The image that we often talk about is a pixel, which is a color combination of a small checkerboard format.

It’s not a problem when you scale it down, but it’s a problem when you zoom in.
For this reason, the question of reduction can be said to be meaningless. :slightly_smiling_face:

On the contrary, Adobe Illustrator, CAD, and the representation of 3D space are called vector graphics, and there are no restrictions as above.

Why in soft: Topazlabs Gigapixel is it only possible to enlarge up to 6x?

Is it possible to enlarge the already enlarged image once by 6x and again by 6x?

thanks

Why not ask the Topazlabs people :person_shrugging:
…maybe there is no use in upscaling something this large because of the lacking details ???

Topaz is an AI.
AI is a technique for restoring multiple cases close to the learning source.

AI can’t all make images perfect, but in some cases it’s very effective.
In the case of animation paintings, it seems to be more effective than pictures.

You can see various information in the link below.