I am proud to present to you my latest finished project, a Porsche 918 Spyder.
Due to the lack of decent and similar ref photos on the internet, there are a few details that aren’t true to the real car, but overall, I feel that I have captured it pretty well.
working time: several months off and on.
total faces: 451,000
Modelled, rendered, etc, in blender and cycles
textures in The GIMP and blender
post pro: The GIMP and blender
render times: vary, I can be more specific if needed. Usually 2 hours and around 500 samples
Model download: http://www.blendswap.com/blends/view/72893
You’ve certainly outdone yourself! Really good work there. I could still critique some minor things, but I really had to look very closely to spot them, and assuming you had no good refs, they’re certainly forgivable. I’m sorry for ruining your mood and being so picky, but these are the minor details:
I believe you know this already, but it’s just escaped you, but anyways… In order to achieve perfect smoothness on the wheel arches (and on any curvature) you have to make sure (eg. selecting the vertices in wireframe view) that they make a smooth curve from every view (front, side and bottom), so that it’ll look great from every angle. And yes, it can be really tricky when dealing with various separate pieces of body because of the edge loops you need when using subsurf. I go around this with an edge loop near the gap that will specify the angle with which the body panel will finish (I guess it’s difficult to understand).
That’s certainly not how the sideskirt looks… and I assume you converted it entirely to electric mode, because I see no exhausts anywhere.
The piece of body that overlaps the door part makes a smooth curve on the real thing, but you kinda made it plain where I highlighted…
Again, the rear wheel arch needs some smoothing, as it now gets wide too fast where I circled, creating that out-of-place shadow. (I hope you understand me)
Thanks for the comments. I have updated the renders with the suggestions and they should be better now.
Thanks! yea… glass is tricky. you have to have a good model and light setup for good reflections
Thanks! I’m glad someone pointed these out. I didn’t fix most of them though
Finding consistent reference photos was tricky, and most of them were all electric, so that’s how I modelled it. I have updated the renders with side exausts, and a better brake material as mentioned below. I didn’t do anything to the rear for exaust because I didn’t know what all needed to be changed.
Thanks, you are right! they are supposed to be green, but I just forgot to give them a proper material. It should be better now.
Very well done, looking very good. Only a couple of things I`ve noticed. You seem to be missing door handles, and the other is that your rims lack any depth, they seem to be wires, but overall excellent job.
Thanks, I did know about the door handle. Again a problem with consistent ref images. Most of them didn’t have one, so I made it without. You are right about the rims though. I never was sure how they were supposed to be, and never fixed them. I will probably do that now and update the renders.
Sorry for updating an old thread, but I did a couple of hdri renders the last couple days for practice. Rendered in cycles, 30 samples, 6 minutes, post work in blender and gimp. hdri and backplate by moofe.com
Be sure to view them in full rez and comment or critique!