2023 demo reel

Hi! Finally I managed to put together a new reel! It took me a while, but it was time! Also, it’s nice to take a moment to look back and see all the work you’ve been doing in the last years :slight_smile:

Most of it is blender, with a few houdini, marvelous designer and EmberGen simulations here and there. Compositing was usually done in after effects.

I am a self taught 3d artist, and I’ve been doing it for a job for the last 12 years, mostly as a 3d generalist and compositor. 3 years ago I went full time freelance, opening my small company The Oven. Being a freelancer definitely presents its challenges compared to a full time job, but I really enjoy the freedom it gives!

I should also mention that the big rome/greece scenes of the Colosseum and the Acropolis, where done together with a small team. Beside some of the modelling (which was done together with the above mentioned team), I was in charge of assembling the scenes, lighting, rendering and doing all the vfx/animations/crowds and compositing.

Enough talking… here’s the reel! Hope you’ll like it!
If you have questions, feedback or just wanna get in touch to chat about 3d and graphic you’ll find my social media accounts on my profile!

28 Likes

Hey Bernardo!
We share the same origins in Blender learning, and I’m sure we have traveled similar paths in our professional lives.

Here’s a random thought (for everyone):
I have always found the term ‘Freelancing’ to be a vague description… in both my case and yours, it feels like an undervalued portrayal of what we actually do.

In every aspect of our business, it is fundamentally similar to any VFX or animation company. We need to find clients, captivate them, earn their trust with the tasks they assign us, and ultimately work on delivering those tasks.

The real difference is that we are solo (or a duo), while companies have many employees… but ‘Freelancing’ :roll_eyes: feels like something one does occasionally, whereas we are fully committed to this work :slight_smile: So, we need to find a better category for ourselves :laughing: :wink: Anyone has a suggestion!?

This is a Super Reel! You’re awesome!

2 Likes

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

Hey Rogerio! Thank you!

Yes, you are right, although I give for granted that all the things you listed are “included” in the term freelancing, sometimes maybe it’s not that obvious!

I really wouldn’t know how to rename the category… what do you suggest? :smiley:

By the way, I should add that @rogper was actually one of the members of the team that modelled props and buildings for the city of Rome and the Acropolis in the video :wink:

1 Like

thank you Bart, really appreciated! :slight_smile:

1 Like

You’re on the featured row! :+1:

1 Like

Self-employed?

just one question, assuming one has enough skills and experience, how much that person can make per year in USD?

Yeah! Here is Portugal is legally defined as a “Sole Trader company” or “Independent worker” :slight_smile: …But those are even more vague terms than “Freelancer” :sweat_smile: We need something like Marvel does… for exemple:

• “Mega Experienced Total Amazing Laborer” → M.E.T.A.L.

and for something even more awesome we would call it “Hyper Extreme Awesome Vital Impressive Mega Experienced Total Amazing Laborer” → Heavi Metal :laughing:

…It’s hopeless :roll_eyes: “Freelancer” still feels the better solution :neutral_face:

Depends for which country you work for :slight_smile: … Google for the average pay for a 3D artist in each country and you shouldn’t accept less than that.

But it’s totally country dependent, can go from “peanuts” to “Platinum” depending the country your client or company belongs.

Haha, for some reason this reminds me of a couple of years ago when all the graphics and animation job portals were clogged with gazillions of job listings for “sandwich artists” by that fast food company Subway.

1 Like

The overused “3D Generalist” isn’t the best option either…

It’s often the case that an Individual or two or three people just publicly act as a company/studio.

That eliminates all need for personnel labeling, but may also prevent you from working with other studios.

EDIT: where I’m from, that means setting up a legal company, but so does freelancing. you can’t just write bills here.

1 Like

Here is the same, at the finances I’m registered as a “sole trader company” composed by me and my wife @Rute_Perdiz. Sole trader companies here can only be named after the person name that funded it, although I can have as many employees I want.

I (the real physical me) now only work for Boombit (for the last 2 years), but my wife still works for other companies and clients. So “Rogério Perdiz” is not actually only a person but the company name too. Like Walt Disney anyway.

My issue here is indeed that the only way clients get it is stating that I’m “a Freelancer”.

1 Like

You could still call yourself a “Production Powerhouse” :smiley: :smiley:

I think that nowadays how much you can earn as a freelancer depends less and less on where you live and more and more on your skills of “market” yourself and finding good clients. You can work with clients from any part of the world as long as you have a computer and a decent internet connection. If you are good at what you do, people will be willing to pay well for your work, no matter where you live :wink:

As Rogerio was saying however, when you’re a freelancer doing the job is just a part of what you have to do. Finding clients, communicating with them, show your work to the world and get some visibility to land more jobs. Those are all skills that are needed to succeed as a freelancer (or whatever we wanna call this line of work :smiley: ). Personally I like the challenge, although those are skills that someone working with 3d might not have at first and might not enjoy learning.

So… when you’re a freelancer, not only you need to learn 3d all the time, but you also need to learn all those other things. I’d say is pretty much as important as being good at doing 3d.

Interesting conversation people! That said, if anyone had anything to say also about the reel that would be great :smiley: