2D-Animations : DSL Traffic Shaping

Hi,

3 animations I did to visualise a technology named ‘DSL Traffic Shaping’. My company will use them in TV footage (in higher resolution, of course).

1. Only data flows through the DSL line:
    http://www.thoro.de/images/blender/animation_ts_nur_daten.gif

2. A phone call comes in - without DSL Traffic Shaping, the IP packets pass the line unstructured causing a general slowdown:
    http://www.thoro.de/images/blender/animation_ts_ohne_ts.gif

3. The same situation WITH DSL Traffic Shaping: the IP packets get sorted and pass the line quicker without slowing down the phone connection.

http://www.thoro.de/images/blender/animation_ts_mit_ts.gif

Did I mention that I love Blender? :wink: Many colleagues ask me ‘Which application do you use?’ (and when I show them, they ask ‘…and how the hell did you learn to use that?’ :smiley: )

Cheers

Thorsten

Excellent
Appropriate
Good use of the tool

The “non-game”, “non-Hollywood” opportunities for Blender are huge.

Another great use of the tools you have at hand.

Excellent work thoro!

BgDM

looks quite perfect.
I too have used blender in “2d” to show a customer a proposed technique (for film extraction from a 35mm film can) and was able to present a useable animation in under 45 minutes.
Blender is indeed a very effective visualization tool for this sort of thing.

Wow, that’s pretty cool. You did that ALL with blender?

blenderanim / BgDM: Thank you! I’m glad that you like it.

slikdigit: Thanks - I agree, once you get used to the interface, Blender gives you decent results veeery quickly. And I really like this interface.

Ic3Cold: All except for the device icons (the phones and computers) - these are standard icons used by my company. The scene consists of very simple meshes, the problem was to find the best way to visualize the subject - and to do this in an animation cycle.

clean, neat and professional looking - well done

If you wanted to, couldn’t you also do the icons in blender? I’m just a beginner so I don’t know.

Yes, you could do that with Blender’s Curve tool. These icons were made by somebody else, so I just used them.

For standard vector graphics, I also use ‘Sodipodi’ (http://www.sodipodi.com) which is a handy little tool that exports into SVG format.

Does anybody know if there is an export script for blender that can save to vector formats like SVG?

I’ll give you a negative crit, although for the most part I think they are great.

The animations have a noticible pause when they animation loops or starts over. I supose this could be my computer, or a problem with gif (?) animation. Maybe it would look a little better if you fixed this before you used it on TV.

Lastly: WOW, your actually getting your project on TV!?! Congrats, I doubt your company is/will be disapointed with the results. :slight_smile:

CyberAce: Your computer is allright :wink: - there was an unwanted pause in the animations - I found it too, when I prepared the material for TV this morning. The first and the third one should run without a pause, I decided to keep the ‘data hickup’ in the second animation and added a grain effect on one phone.

I made new GIFs and updated the images. Thank you!

Flawless… well, maybe.

The receiving phone in the 2nd animation has a a little bit of a static effect to it. Perhaps this was intentional though?

… and maybe I’m just becomming to nit-picky. :frowning:

Cool! It’s a bit late, but I think you should add static to the receiving comp too. Almost perfect! Amazing demonstration of a real-world use of Blender.

nice job! I used blender for 2d art too, cuz it just really owns animations and curves.

yes its true, inthe 2nd animation we see a small interrupt when the ani loops. only crit I got.

cu!

CyberAce (Eagle Eye :D): Yes, the grain effect is intentional - I mentioned this in the post before - I think you just read over it :o.

Dracarys: Thank you! The grain/noise effect should emphasise that the voice quality is suffering from the low transfer rate - the data transfer to the computer is just getting slower so I decided not to use this effect. By the way - the meaning of the grain effect gets much clearer in the high resolution version.

Chimera: Thanks! Yeah, Curves are so easy and direct within Blender. The delay in the second animation is intentional, as mentioned before :D.

Like your motion graphics.
Just started using blender for this myself.

Why not use flash for the animation? Vector images load so much faster and the play back can be much smoother. :wink:

The modles are good though.