2d features on a 2d mesh with grease pencil

I’m a 2d animator, trying to figure out a pipeline in which I could work with a 3d head and animate the features on it’s surface with grease pencil. Things like nose and eyes work fine, but to create the open mouth on profile view I would need to be able carve out a negative shape on the head mesh. It would have to be some kind of mask or holdout.

My question: Is there a way to make a 3d mesh disappear when we place a Grease pencil object (or material, or layer) in front of the mesh?

If possible I would like to do it without compositing renders and without converting the grease pencil to other kind of object.

I’ve been trying to solve the same problem! What you could do is either use a boolean object to cut out a mouth, or model a very simple mouth and animate it with shape keys.

I’ve found holdout materials and masks are inadequate for this. Grease pencil holdouts only mask other grease pencil layers, and vice versa for regular holdouts. A holdout will also punch a hole through all geometry so you’d have to do compositing anyway.

Thanks for answering.

Yeah, I guess in the end it is easier to make a simplified rig just for the mouth, which will let me deform the mesh the way I need.

Too bad grease pencil objects and materials exist in a completely different universe from 3d objects in blender.

I hope a future update integrates things better.

I hope this too, as amazing as GP is, I ran into many limitations with it. They did promise better integration in the future with materials and timelines at least not being separate anymore.