2D Learning and Practice

I’m starting to see “character” in your characters… IE, hints of expression and thought. Nice!

3 Likes

Do it! Join the sketchbook club!

Facial features do tend to help with that :wink:

1 Like

The girl in the tree is looking good. Could be fuller in the rump—I think you curve round too much where it connects to the thigh, leaving it looking a bit odd. Her near shoulder is also a bit high, but the general shape is definitely there, and the whole thing looks confident and deliberate.

Contrast to Nightwing, which looks more tentative in the strokes. Nonetheless, he is not too far off the traced version, so definitely another win. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have this problem a lot- I don’t know why, but the volume of legs (especially calves) is my Achilles heel. I should do some leg studies. More to add to the list :wink:

I’m glad it looks that way, it didn’t feel confident :sweat_smile:

Props to you for recognition! I’ve been doing quite a lot of these traced/freehand animation still studies, but I definitely lack confidence in them. I think a big part of that is that they’re a lot more face focused, and I’ve been focused mostly on bodies. Needs more practice for sure. (Did I mention my to-do list? :wink: )

Not a nuisance at all … but I’d really, really like to see you moving away from any digital device for once. :slight_smile:

Perspective did get out of hand here a bit - did you work from reference, or construct the pose freely?
Anyway, I had to try a quick overpaint, fixing the “normals”:

j-femalescribble-op

4 Likes

Yes, I do need to do this. My biggest issue is motivation- my computer is where I “do things”, remembering to draw away from the computer is a huge challenge for me.

Twas from reference, but I agree, not my best work perspective wise. Your paint over looks amazing, did you save it by any chance? I’d love to study it more fully then just from a quick GIF :slight_smile:

That’s what I thought.
However I truly regret seeing you exercising an art without any intrinsic dependency to digital stuff so ambitiously, and at the same time needlessly creating and enforcing that very dependency … in a time where we are discussing AI and what it does to digital art, and basically everything digital, so hotly. It’s almost a political thing … go get yourself a pen and some paper, win your freedom! Do it, I guarantee, you won’t regret it! :slight_smile:

There you are:

j-femalescribble-op.kra (2.0 MB)

There’s even an easter egg in the file. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I may have asked you this before, but how long have you been drawing? You have really impressive abilities that clearly have been honed over a long time

Well, simple truth, unlike most “normal” people, I just never stopped it after I grew out of preschool/kindergarden age … so, ~50 years probably?

On the other hand, I didn’t study it, never really practiced systematically like you do now, except for a very short time roundabout 20yrs ago. And there were times where I hardly ever touched a pen.

But basically, drawing is a bit like writing for me. Once I was able to do it, I just … kept doing it.

5 Likes

That’s very good to know, it makes it easier not to compare myself to you when you have 49 years more experience drawing than I do :wink:

1 Like

Turns out, if you can draw a person, you can draw pretty much anything with the same construction methods:

Yes, I know there’s more lines than there needs to be, the retopology of the neck just lined up so nicely :wink:

Other recent highlights:
(Less detailed than the past, most of these were timed)

6 Likes

Yup. That’s a cow’s ass, alright.

3 Likes

Sounds like you’re familiar?

2 Likes

I like the shading on the last one.

Also the cow, but I like cows to begin with, so I may be a bit biased.

3 Likes

That figure with the shading! Moo!

1 Like

I used to live next to a farm. I’ve seen a lot of cow asses.

4 Likes

Interestingly, the cow (love the face/ears expression :slight_smile: ) has much more confident lines and structure then humans.
It’s like you’re overthinking the human figure too much :thinking:

4 Likes

I am feeling quite confident with my lines, what you see on the humans is not the result of many small lines, but the result of me erasing and redrawing lines but being careless with my erasing :wink: of course there’s still room for improvement, but the cow wasn’t erased at all and the humans were. If you could see just the final lines on the humans, they’d look a lot more like the cow

1 Like

Erasing the humans but not the cow? That sounds suspiciously like favouritism.

4 Likes

Boy, having a baby sure upends your life!

Here are some quick sketches I’m proud of from the past few weeks:

I’ve lost a lot of ground but I’m slowly working towards drawing every day again

10 Likes