2d look movements

I been watching anime shows a lot and noticed that some anime incorporate CG elements such as crowds, mechs, cars, etc into the 2d show by rendering it in 2d. For some reason, the CG elements looks off compared to original 2d even though it is supposed to be rendered in 2d such as Freestyle, ink n’ paint, cel shading, or whatever you want to call it; it still has that 3d CG look; it doesn’t look good with real 2d elements such as characters, etc.

The first link I posted above is an example of CG’ed 2d character. Notice how it moves; it looks off compared to hand drawn. Notice the 2nd video link especially the crowd scene; the crowd is rendered in 2d but the movements are CG’ed and placed alongside with actual drawn 2d characters.

I tried adjusting FPS from 12, 24, 60, and doesn’t work. I think it’s an interpolation issue.

Is there a way to fix the movement issue with 2d CG so it looks more like real 2d hand drawn?

Unfortunately, not yet. Even the best recent anime haven’t been able to completely fake the ‘2D feeling’ when incorporating cg elements. But they are close. Bubuki Buranki (which came out last week) is the best I’ve seen. Their line shaders are almost spot on, and they’ve got pretty close to the animation style of great anime. Sometimes you do forget that it’s cg.

I think it comes down to custom shaders that have rules for various lighting situations. And every frame must be done by hand for sure. If you leave it up to the computer it will look crap every time. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEJFAsbzcmk

It makes sense though, generally cg has been included in anime to save time hand-drawing everything. Only recently has it gotten good enough to base all characters on it convincingly. I hope you can figure it out!